Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

The biggest reason Nebraska missed a bowl game is ______? (1 Viewer)

Biggest reason Nebraska missed a bowl game this year?

• Sims. NU picked wrong QB out of portal & this wrecked the season bc we had no one else

Votes: 22 24.4%
  • Injuries. Lost top 3 WRs, top 2 RBs, 2 OL starters, 3 QBs injured at points

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Satterfield. His playcalling/game prep was bad enough that it cost us wins

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Rhule's game management. MR's errors at end of halves & games cost NU wins

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • OL. Offensive line wasn't good enough

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • STs. Special teams wasn't good enough

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roster. Rhule inherited a poor offensive roster w no QB depth or talent at WR

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Poor player development. QBs/RBs/TEs/WRs were good enough but not managed well by their coaches

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Turnovers. Enough said.

Votes: 41 45.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
We missed a bowl game for a lot of reasons but if you had to pick ONE as the biggest contributing factor, what would that be?

Not including any defensive themes bc they weren't at fault.

EwokRhuler

Cornerback
Turnovers...so I went with Sims. He gave the ball away so much that we just plugged in whoever we could and, unfortunately, we didn't have a solid/trained QB.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
My vote:

I actually voted Sims. And I don't mean it was Sims's fault personally....I mean the entire picking the wrong QB out of the portal. You only get one chance to do this every year, you absolutely CANNOT waste your portal QB and NIL $$$ on a guy who's "out" by the 2nd game of the season.

Not only that...but we based ALL of spring ball around getting Sims ready. And then ALL of fall camp around getting Sims ready. We give him a single digit/leadership role. Then you find out that the guy can't even play at a B1G level so you bench him for the entire year?

That whole thing wrecked the season IMHO. If they pick even a bang average "C" level QB we probably go easily 7-5, probably even 8-4 w this schedule.

Rhule REALLY fucked up hitching his wagon to Sims.

Mr.Bojangles

Offensive Lineman
We missed a bowl game for a lot of reasons but if you had to pick ONE as the biggest contributing factor, what would that be?

Not including any defensive themes bc they weren't at fault.
Hard to pick there I think all of those contributed pretty evenly. But the main one was throwing all their eggs in Sims basket.

redzoner

Cornerback
This was a hard choice. I went with roster. No power 5 team should have an offensive roster this bad. Frost was an offensive guy but some how couldn’t recruit and build offensive players at all.

It was going to be hard to overcome that in one cycle of portal and recruiting.

herbsinator

Running Back
Elite Member
My vote:

I actually voted Sims. And I don't mean it was Sims's fault personally....I mean the entire picking the wrong QB out of the portal. You only get one chance to do this every year, you absolutely CANNOT waste your portal QB and NIL $$$ on a guy who's "out" by the 2nd game of the season.

Not only that...but we based ALL of spring ball around getting Sims ready. And then ALL of fall camp around getting Sims ready. We give him a single digit/leadership role. Then you find out that the guy can't even play at a B1G level so you bench him for the entire year?

That whole thing wrecked the season IMHO. If they pick even a bang average "C" level QB we probably go easily 7-5, probably even 8-4 w this schedule.

Rhule REALLY fucked up hitching his wagon to Sims.
Obviously Sims was a disaster, but I don’t think there was any way to predict his complete mental collapse. He was more or less a middle of the road P5 QB by the time he left GT.

Ripping Lips

And I ain’t talking about fish
Elite Member
I went with turnovers because a lot of them can be tied to Simms, the offensive coaching staff lack of preparedness, and poor OL all contributed to unnecessary turnovers IMO. In the handful of times the QBs had time to throw, they were accurate and went for big plays and that probably falls on the OL more than anyone else. The same could be said for last year, whenever CT had time, he was accurate.

In the past, most teams can tell if a new coach will turn the corner or be a failure will be in year 2. It will be interesting to see what coaching changes will be made and who is asked to move on from the team. I feel that there will be a few holes on defense that will need to get filled in the LB position and to replace Newsome. Hopefully Singleton fully recovers and can stay healthy.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
This was a hard choice. I went with roster. No power 5 team should have an offensive roster this bad. Frost was an offensive guy but some how couldn’t recruit and build offensive players at all.

It was going to be hard to overcome that in one cycle of portal and recruiting.
Our roster even on the offensive side isn’t that much different than the rest of the BIG west teams. They all suck.

Herbie

Quarterback
You have to pin it in Matt Rhule.
Vote for Sims? Matt Rhule hand picked him.
Sat? Rhule picked him and has defended him at every turn(as he should)
Turnovers fall on Rhule and his staff.

Player skill level is a shit excuse, especially when they had a shot to win 5 of the games

David Webb

JCTJB
Elite Member
Turnovers with an honorable mention to the defense who could not make a stop at the end of gsmes.

Reactions: Irv

redzoner

Cornerback
Our roster even on the offensive side isn’t that much different than the rest of the BIG west teams. They all suck.
Based on all the big ten football I watched we have the worst RB room in the league.

We are pretty close to worst at WR. I think we have some freshman with some talent but then need a lot of seasoning on how to run routes and be strong to the ball. They really only were good on wide open deep balls.

TE is interesting. They made some plays but also struggled blocking on the edge and didn't really factor into the Cockeye game.

OL somehow isn't the worst in the league this year and I think was doing ok to build for next year once Teddy got some games under his belt. Still way too many penalties in big situations.

QB is all turnovers. At least Chubba seems to have some game IQ but still couldn't make the plays needed to win a game.

When Northwestern's skill players are a step above ours, we have a shit roster.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Based on all the big ten football I watched we have the worst RB room in the league.

We are pretty close to worst at WR. I think we have some freshman with some talent but then need a lot of seasoning on how to run routes and be strong to the ball. They really only were good on wide open deep balls.

TE is interesting. They made some plays but also struggled blocking on the edge and didn't really factor into the Cockeye game.

OL somehow isn't the worst in the league this year and I think was doing ok to build for next year once Teddy got some games under his belt. Still way too many penalties in big situations.

QB is all turnovers. At least Chubba seems to have some game IQ but still couldn't make the plays needed to win a game.

When Northwestern's skill players are a step above ours, we have a shit roster.
I also heard the same thing about our defensive talent being the worst and then they got some real coaching. Coaching matters. I’m not trying to defend Frost but the BIG West rosters are all limited offensively. I don’t see a big difference between any of them. I know a team like Wisconsin had an elite rb but most of these rosters lack playmakers across the board. It’s also the reason BIG west defenses look so good.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds