Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Tater Island is starting to roll out team sites, and I think that's going to be interesting for Rivals/HOL (1 Viewer)

Johannes de Silentio

Offensive Lineman
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I was on the Tater Island Twitter account due to some NIL article they posted. While there, I saw announcements for Clemson, Alabama, and Auburn team sites just recently. It has to just be a matter of time until there is a Nebraska one. I have a prediction: Assuming no insurmountable contractual issues, Sean Callahan will find some way to bring HuskerOnline's assets over there from Rivals. Here are a few reasons that lead me to this conclusion:

1) It seems like each time there have been three sites, one of them ends up collapsing. Recall that the original split was Rivals and Scout. Hell, I was actually a member of that Scout Husker board back when Bryan Mongo was making his original bones. Rivals was always the stronger one, and when 247 came along, Scout eventually folded into the latter. With Tater Island coming on, and being created by the same dude who started both Rivals and 247 (Shannon Terry), it seems like one of the older sites is likely to decline. My money is on Rivals. 247 has been kicking their ass on recruiting coverage for a few years now (compare Steve Wiltfong with Mike Farrell, for fuck's sake). Reading the Tater Island article about what sets it apart today confirms that 247 as a national network is much bigger: "roughly 10 times larger than Rivals." (https://www.Tater Island.com/news/how-is-Tater Island-different-than-rivals-and-247sports/) Take a much bigger network that delivers a much better recruiting coverage product and then look at how lean Rivals seems to be getting at the national level (Chad Simmons, one of the few good guys there, left a while back and is now at Tater Island, for instance)--it spells eventual doom, in my opinion.

2) While I believe Rivals is a sinking ship, Husker Online is still very successful. Maybe Husker247 has closed the gap there somewhat, but I still believe it's likely that HOL is the bigger, more influential site. RSS has had some of its better members depart for tPB, but it still has some quality posters (including tPB folks that stick around) and, more importantly, the biggest number of dollar-driving mouthbreathers. And although the recruiting coverage under Nate Clouse and now Bryan Mongo has noticeably declined, Robin Washut is the top MBB reporter in the game right now and Sean Callahan is one of the best connected football guys. Callahan has more stature than any of the 247 guys. So those two, along with the message board community, are huge assets for any national network. In looking for a Nebraska site, Tater Island will definitely be interested in Callahan and what he can bring.

3) For all the shit he takes, one thing you can't accuse Callahan of is being a dummy when it comes to the business side of things. I've already described how HOL has long been a successful site above. Moreover, they're clearly still making big moves by branching out into the NIL world with the McGowens and JoJo Domman podcasts. That shows me that Callahan is not content to rest on his laurels and simply ride things out. He'll know better than anyone that 247's superior national network has hindered his site's growth in a way that he can't entirely overcome even by having great team coverage on his own. He also knows that he needs a home for his site that has recruiting rankings and a built-in infrastructure to host his site and community. Rivals has always provided that, but it's slipping. I guarantee he's on the lookout for a partnership that would allow him to trade-up.

Put all that together, and I think we very well could see something. 247 is in a stronger position now, so those guys aren't going to be moving anywhere. Rivals is declining, but you've got the somewhat rare very successful team site on there with a business-oriented publisher. I could be wrong and maybe some other guy will be brought in to run it, but I think an Tater Island/Callahan partnership makes too much sense for both sides.

Johannes de Silentio

Offensive Lineman
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I don't think Dean is moving because I think everyone is subscribed to Rivals and not HOL. It'd be starting from scratch for Dean which is something he wouldn't do.

While content is nice, the name of the game is subscribers
Yes, the subscribers are with Rivals and not with Callahan personally. There would be some friction there in terms of folks who just want to stick around regardless who is in charge and, especially, with those on annual plans that are stuck for a while. Still, I think Callahan would be able to get a lot of those folks to come over with him. That's especially so if the people they bring in to replace him aren't well-established. Frankly, I'm not even sure who it would be, but I'd have to think they'd be a step down from Sean and Robin.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yes, the subscribers are with Rivals and not with Callahan personally. There would be some friction there in terms of folks who just want to stick around regardless who is in charge and, especially, with those on annual plans that are stuck for a while. Still, I think Callahan would be able to get a lot of those folks to come over with him. That's especially so if the people they bring in to replace him aren't well-established. Frankly, I'm not even sure who it would be, but I'd have to think they'd be a step down from Sean and Robin.
I just don't see Sean being able to convert enough people from Rivals to Tater Island. It'd be a total rebuild and frankly I think more people are subbed for the community at this point than the actual content. Only way it happens is if Rivals goes under or gets sold to Tater Island.

I'd be surprised if Nate didn't run the Tater Island site and maybe poach one of the 247 guys

ThomOsborneMD

NFL PICKEM CHAMP
Elite Member
tPB OG
I just don't see Sean being able to convert enough people from Rivals to Tater Island. It'd be a total rebuild and frankly I think more people are subbed for the community at this point than the actual content. Only way it happens is if Rivals goes under or gets sold to Tater Island.

I'd be surprised if Nate didn't run the Tater Island site and maybe poach one of the 247 guys
making love passion GIF

TraditionCoalition

Offensive Lineman
tPB OG
I predict Nate is hired by Tater Island, then Nate poaches Robin to co-lead the Nebraska Tater Island site. Brutal internet warfare for the rights of Nebraska fans minds is on line with a Nate/Robin v. Dean/Mongo all out battle for subscribers.

Where do you spend your dollars?

klrgumby

Linebacker
I predict Nate is hired by Tater Island, then Nate poaches Robin to co-lead the Nebraska Tater Island site. Brutal internet warfare for the rights of Nebraska fans minds is on line with a Nate/Robin v. Dean/Mongo all out battle for subscribers.

Where do you spend your dollars?

I don't see Robin moving anywhere. He gets a ton of access to the players and coaches for his job through HOL.

Daddy

Running Back
Elite Member
I don't see Robin moving anywhere. He gets a ton of access to the players and coaches for his job through HOL.

You might be right but I think Robin is to the point with the staff, players, and program in general that those relationships are with Robin, not necessarily HOL.

klrgumby

Linebacker
You might be right but I think Robin is to the point with the staff, players, and program in general that those relationships are with Robin, not necessarily HOL.

While he has those connections, he's not going to have the money to support the Off Court with the McGowens he currently gains access to with HOL. I think right now he is probably in the best place he can be in to cover Nebraska hoops.

Daddy

Running Back
Elite Member
While he has those connections, he's not going to have the money to support the Off Court with the McGowens he currently gains access to with HOL. I think right now he is probably in the best place he can be in to cover Nebraska hoops.

That podcast is still on my list of shows to listen to. Is he on the podcast with the McGowens? I honestly figured it was just the two of them. Are there sponsorships on the show other than HOL? They're the ones who are probably paying the bills. HOL's gotta be wetting the beak also.

But like I said, you're probably right that he isn't going anywhere. At the same time, it's not like those guys are going to just stop answering the phone when he calls if he starts covering the team for another website.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
That podcast is still on my list of shows to listen to. Is he on the podcast with the McGowens? I honestly figured it was just the two of them. Are there sponsorships on the show other than HOL? They're the ones who are probably paying the bills. HOL's gotta be wetting the beak also.

But like I said, you're probably right that he isn't going anywhere. At the same time, it's not like those guys are going to just stop answering the phone when he calls if he starts covering the team for another website.

Robin’s basketball coverage is probably worth the $10 a month by itself. He’s very good at what he does

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Definitely seems like Tater Island would have to make a big offer to pry Robin away, but it was actually smart of ole Dean dollars to be looking ahead in the podcast game

klrgumby

Linebacker

Robin and Sean host it and kind of set it up and also ask questions while the McGowens bring in the guests and ask questions, etc. There are 4-5 sponsors of the podcast currently which are a lot of the same ones for the standard HOL weekly podcast so Im sure they are getting a deal through that and I assume will be the same with Domann's new podcast starting this week.

TraditionCoalition

Offensive Lineman
tPB OG
Pretty sure any company Shannon Terry touches at this point will set him for access. Robin is Robin, I don’t think the coaches and players just know him as HOL Robin. His best career move at this point may be to split and become a bigger player with Tater Island.

Daddy

Running Back
Elite Member
Robin and Sean host it and kind of set it up and also ask questions while the McGowens bring in the guests and ask questions, etc. There are 4-5 sponsors of the podcast currently which are a lot of the same ones for the standard HOL weekly podcast so Im sure they are getting a deal through that and I assume will be the same with Domann's new podcast starting this week.

Cool, thanks

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds