Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

So is Dean and Sipple really starting a new site @ Tater Island? (1 Viewer)

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yeah it seems like a big risk with little to no reward for Dean, especially when you consider probably 90% of his subscribers are guys who barely post and just browse like it's the morning paper. Possible scenarios:
  • He moves to Tater Island (a truly awful name for whatever this business is) and is somehow able to move RSS *and* its subscribers to the new site. Low-info members get confused about not being on Rivals.com anymore and probably forget to update their bookmarks, people in the loop give him shit for pulling the rug out from his subscribers and unwillingly moving them to his new venture.
  • He moves to Tater Island WITHOUT current Rivals subscribers and has to try to recruit RSS members to leave Rivals and follow him to Tater Island. To put it kindly, a site run by Dean and Sipple, by far the two Husker personalities that people goof on the most, is just not something that most fans I know would be excited about or interested in. Low-info RSS members wouldn't be bothered to change their credit card/login/subscirption info from Rivals to a different site, people in the loop think his reporting is a joke and don't go to RSS for him in the first place so they definitely wouldn't pay for www.Dean+SipThoughts.biz//notrivalsanymore
I don't know if there is a husker pay site that does the traffic he does elsewhere on the internet. Dude would have to be really dumb to start over elsewhere. The worst case scenario for him is just riding out rivals for it's duration, it'll get bought up by Tater Island or 247 and Dean will be able to take his subscribers with him

Johannes de Silentio

Safety
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I would respect Dean's business shrewdness but how he did Nate dirty still burns me a bit if that is the case. Cut him out just to keep him from a paycheck,
The notion of firing Clouse over a payout is news to me, so I can't speak to its veracity. That would obviously appear to be an underhanded move, but it's hard to say more without knowing more context.

It's seems much more plausible to me that the combined lack of performance and general lack of news around Husker recruiting resulted in it no longer making sense to pay someone what presumably Clouse was making. Let's put it this way: He's not getting a noticeably worse product in terms of output under Mongo and the intern girl than the last year of Clouse.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Maybe I'm missing some crucial info - what exactly is Tater Island and why do its future prospects seem better than Rivals? It sounds like the name of a short-lived 90s cell phone company or something. I know 247's writers are much much better than HOL, but in my experience Rivals/RSS seems to be far and away the most well known Husker site/board. Not sure why Dean and Sip would wanna start over on a new site that would be a VERY distant third place in that ecosystem.

alt f4

Administrator
Admin
Insider
Maybe I'm missing some crucial info - what exactly is Tater Island and why do its future prospects seem better than Rivals? It sounds like the name of a short-lived 90s cell phone company or something. I know 247's writers are much much better than HOL, but in my experience Rivals/RSS seems to be far and away the most well known Husker site/board. Not sure why Dean and Sip would wanna start over on a new site that would be a VERY distant third place in that ecosystem.

This is the best line of it all.....

"Over the next several months, we will be launching various aspects and features of what will be the next-generation college sports media and data company," Tater Island CEO Shannon Terry said. "Today is just the beginning."

Terry knows of what he speaks. He and his team are the founders and creators of Rivals.com (acquired by Yahoo! Sports in 2007) and 247Sports (acquired by CBS in 2016).

Tater Island will be composed of three primary pillars: stellar national college football, basketball and recruiting coverage; iconic fan publications that cover individual teams; and a recruiting and player database, replete with features that never have been seen before.

Johannes de Silentio

Safety
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
The main thing for me is that Shannon Terry, the guy who founded both Rivals and 247, is doing Tater Island. It seems like he literally takes a few years to build the most successful recruiting/college team site network, makes money, leaves, waits for his non-compete clause to expire, and then starts another one that knocks his previous work down a peg or two--rinse and repeat. Rivals was easily the top dog for a long time after clearly besting Scout and all the other sites that had done recruiting coverage in the early internet era. 247 absolutely ass blasts Rivals now. I have no reason to think Tater Island won't be a good product given his history.

So there's that. But it's supplemented by the fact that you generally only have two of these sites really going at once. It used to be Rivals and Scout. 247 came along and ended that; it actually absorbed Scout. I can't quite tell who they are or why they care, but there are dudes on Husker247 who are still sort of a Scout crew. Regardless, I think 247 is well-established and not going anywhere. However, Rivals strikes me as shaky. You have a few strong sites like HOL, but overall, I think they're getting their lunch eaten by 247. Callahan even talked recently about how Rivals is nationally making cutbacks on its regional coverage. That's a bad sign. So is Mike Farrell.

If football recruiting weren't completely moribund right now, you'd continue to notice what was already plainly apparent during the 2020 class: HOL's recruiting coverage, and thus a lot of their product, suffered big-time by virtue of how bad the national and regional guys there are. There was a stretch leading up to and including December NSD where we were getting basically every bit of news broken on RSS via people reporting what Wiltfong or 247 team site guys were saying (Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Miami were all valuable ones). Clouse, for instance, still thought Kaden Johnson was coming to DONU right up until the end. That's not saying he's somehow that much worse than Schaefer (although I think Schaefer is a stronger reporter), but 247 had so, so much more network support.

So yeah, you have a strong legacy board in RSS, one of the more noteworthy football writers in Callahan, and the best MBB reporter in Washut. Maybe that's enough to wait out Rivals becoming third-rate. I don't know, though, and I think Callahan trusts his ability to hustle and knows HOL/RSS would be a massively different place if they tried to substitute in someone else. Other than inertia, there's nothing at all about Rivals that is keeping people there.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
This is the best line of it all.....

The main thing for me is that Shannon Terry, the guy who founded both Rivals and 247, is doing Tater Island. It seems like he literally takes a few years to build the most successful recruiting/college team site network, makes money, leaves, waits for his non-compete clause to expire, and then starts another one that knocks his previous work down a peg or two--rinse and repeat. Rivals was easily the top dog for a long time after clearly besting Scout and all the other sites that had done recruiting coverage in the early internet era. 247 absolutely ass blasts Rivals now. I have no reason to think Tater Island won't be a good product given his history.

So there's that. But it's supplemented by the fact that you generally only have two of these sites really going at once. It used to be Rivals and Scout. 247 came along and ended that; it actually absorbed Scout. I can't quite tell who they are or why they care, but there are dudes on Husker247 who are still sort of a Scout crew. Regardless, I think 247 is well-established and not going anywhere. However, Rivals strikes me as shaky. You have a few strong sites like HOL, but overall, I think they're getting their lunch eaten by 247. Callahan even talked recently about how Rivals is nationally making cutbacks on its regional coverage. That's a bad sign. So is Mike Farrell.

If football recruiting weren't completely moribund right now, you'd continue to notice what was already plainly apparent during the 2020 class: HOL's recruiting coverage, and thus a lot of their product, suffered big-time by virtue of how bad the national and regional guys there are. There was a stretch leading up to and including December NSD where we were getting basically every bit of news broken on RSS via people reporting what Wiltfong or 247 team site guys were saying (Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Miami were all valuable ones). Clouse, for instance, still thought Kaden Johnson was coming to DONU right up until the end. That's not saying he's somehow that much worse than Schaefer (although I think Schaefer is a stronger reporter), but 247 had so, so much more network support.

So yeah, you have a strong legacy board in RSS, one of the more noteworthy football writers in Callahan, and the best MBB reporter in Washut. Maybe that's enough to wait out Rivals becoming third-rate. I don't know, though, and I think Callahan trusts his ability to hustle and knows HOL/RSS would be a massively different place if they tried to substitute in someone else. Other than inertia, there's nothing at all about Rivals that is keeping people there.
Damn that's crazy! I had no idea the same people were behind Rivals and 247. I wonder if they can make it happen a third time. It kinda feels like the glory days of growing a website/message board based on recruiting coverage are long gone but who knows!

TraditionCoalition

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
Damn that's crazy! I had no idea the same people were behind Rivals and 247. I wonder if they can make it happen a third time. It kinda feels like the glory days of growing a website/message board based on recruiting coverage are long gone but who knows!
Recruiting coverage has been exposed as largely BS and hype. The only hope for the future of these sites is a thriving online community.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds