Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

So is Dean and Sipple really starting a new site @ Tater Island? (1 Viewer)

Daddy

Running Back
Elite Member
I keep hearing Dean is moving away from Rivals and going to Tater Island sometime in the near future. Has anyone heard something similar, and is Sip really a part of the move?

If he does move, would you follow? Or stay with Rivals? Or just stay on the Platinum Board?

I've heard some variation of that. I'm not exactly sure on the details but I think essentially what it comes down to is that dean still owns HuskerOnline.com as well has a few other similar sites, k state's site for instance, that currently fall under the Yahoo/Rivals umbrella. He's going to break away from Yahoo/Rivals with some or all of them and move them to Tater Island. It also sounds like the reason he gave Nate the boot is because Nate would have been owed money for the move and dean didn't want to pay him, or something to that effect. Basically, greedy dean is selling out to the next highest bidder and told clouse to go fuck himself.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I don't know how moving the site works. My recollection is when HuskerIllustrated became HOL that Deano said a big challenge is that all of the subscribers are linked to rivals and he can't just take them

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I've heard some variation of that. I'm not exactly sure on the details but I think essentially what it comes down to is that dean still owns HuskerOnline.com as well has a few other similar sites, k state's site for instance, that currently fall under the Yahoo/Rivals umbrella. He's going to break away from Yahoo/Rivals with some or all of them and move them to Tater Island. It also sounds like the reason he gave Nate the boot is because Nate would have been owed money for the move and dean didn't want to pay him, or something to that effect. Basically, greedy dean is selling out to the next highest bidder and told clouse to go fuck himself.
He owns the K State site?

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
I don't know how moving the site works. My recollection is when HuskerIllustrated became HOL that Deano said a big challenge is that all of the subscribers are linked to rivals and he can't just take them
Yeah it seems like a big risk with little to no reward for Dean, especially when you consider probably 90% of his subscribers are guys who barely post and just browse like it's the morning paper. Possible scenarios:
  • He moves to Tater Island (a truly awful name for whatever this business is) and is somehow able to move RSS *and* its subscribers to the new site. Low-info members get confused about not being on Rivals.com anymore and probably forget to update their bookmarks, people in the loop give him shit for pulling the rug out from his subscribers and unwillingly moving them to his new venture.
  • He moves to Tater Island WITHOUT current Rivals subscribers and has to try to recruit RSS members to leave Rivals and follow him to Tater Island. To put it kindly, a site run by Dean and Sipple, by far the two Husker personalities that people goof on the most, is just not something that most fans I know would be excited about or interested in. Low-info RSS members wouldn't be bothered to change their credit card/login/subscirption info from Rivals to a different site, people in the loop think his reporting is a joke and don't go to RSS for him in the first place so they definitely wouldn't pay for www.Dean+SipThoughts.biz//notrivalsanymore

TraditionCoalition

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yeah it seems like a big risk with little to no reward for Dean, especially when you consider probably 90% of his subscribers are guys who barely post and just browse like it's the morning paper. Possible scenarios:
  • He moves to Tater Island (a truly awful name for whatever this business is) and is somehow able to move RSS *and* its subscribers to the new site. Low-info members get confused about not being on Rivals.com anymore and probably forget to update their bookmarks, people in the loop give him shit for pulling the rug out from his subscribers and unwillingly moving them to his new venture.
  • He moves to Tater Island WITHOUT current Rivals subscribers and has to try to recruit RSS members to leave Rivals and follow him to Tater Island. To put it kindly, a site run by Dean and Sipple, by far the two Husker personalities that people goof on the most, is just not something that most fans I know would be excited about or interested in. Low-info RSS members wouldn't be bothered to change their credit card/login/subscirption info from Rivals to a different site, people in the loop think his reporting is a joke and don't go to RSS for him in the first place so they definitely wouldn't pay for www.Dean+SipThoughts.biz//notrivalsanymore
IDK... Dean and Sipple may be an entertaining combo... for all the wrong reasons. I would be tempted to dabble...

Johannes de Silentio

Safety
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I've been saying he should do this for months now. If he does, he'll confirm my impression that he's a pretty damn shrewd businessman.

In short, Rivals is dying but HOL is still a pretty thriving enterprise. He needs a landing away from that shit network, and this provides it. I'll be surprised if Tater Island doesn't signal the death knell for Rivals given that 247 is already eating its lunch. It'll be like Scout.

Johannes de Silentio

Safety
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I keep hearing Dean is moving away from Rivals and going to Tater Island sometime in the near future. Has anyone heard something similar, and is Sip really a part of the move?

If he does move, would you follow? Or stay with Rivals? Or just stay on the Platinum Board?
And to answer this question, I would probably subscribe to an Tater Island Husker site that had those two guys. I'd see who Rivals brought in to run its new Nebraska site, but it's not like RSS is what it used to be. If all the tPB bros were still there regularly and everyone stuck around, then it'd be a much different question.

TraditionCoalition

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
I've been saying he should do this for months now. If he does, he'll confirm my impression that he's a pretty damn shrewd businessman.

In short, Rivals is dying but HOL is still a pretty thriving enterprise. He needs a landing away from that shit network, and this provides it. I'll be surprised if Tater Island doesn't signal the death knell for Rivals given that 247 is already eating its lunch. It'll be like Scout.
I would respect Dean's business shrewdness but how he did Nate dirty still burns me a bit if that is the case. Cut him out just to keep him from a paycheck,

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds