Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Season turning from success to failure (4 Viewers)

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
Lmao what? So getting a generational talent at QB will lead us to 7-8 wins against one of the easiest schedules in the country?

Also, when are fans going to figure out that good coaches attract good players! This clown show staff won’t have the luxury of working with talented players because news flash, the staff isn’t capable of recruiting them!
I did say 7-8 wins right now....not at seasons end. Let's say we get 1-2 more than it'd be 9-10 with receivers that won't set the world on fire.

Not bad for a 1st year coach.

Last edited:

Goskers07

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
What contradiction? My point is everyone acts like these early data points don’t matter because it’s “year 1”. Everyone ignored it under Frost, the same fucking warning signs are here again. We are absolutely losing games we should be winning. It doesn’t concern you that this is the O staff Rhule put together? The fact that he handpicked Sim’s and ran off Thompson? The fact that his in game coaching directly led to us losing to Minnesota and Maryland?

The D looks better because we have an actual staff on that side of the ball! It’s amazing what coaching does. It also helps that this conference is an absolute joke right now outside of 2 teams. Win 7 games year 1 and build up some goodwill to take pressure off moving forward. We had an absolute golden opportunity to do that and we fucked it.

Blowing games with bad decisions is the same thing no matter if it happens in year 1 or 5. We played a pillow soft schedule, my goodness what is so wrong with having an expectation of making a bowl game when you are 5-3 and have your next 2 games against shit teams.
See, now you're making up arguments in your head again. No one has said things are perfect. I think everyone is pretty well clear that the offense has been underwhelming so far. But yet, we are still doing better than expectations. I get that it's apparently quite unfathomable to you that there is room for improvement in year 1 - particularly under a coach who admits he tries to do more of a slow build rather than a quick fix - but you need to calm your tits over it. Literally no one was expecting 7 wins. Hell, the Vegas odds were 6 and a lot of people were expecting the unders. You keep throwing out this golden opportunity thing like it was an expectation. It was a pleasant surprise. If it happened, fantastic. But Rhule isn't the second coming of Frost because we are suddenly less likely to get to 7 wins - which ironically would be nearly double Frosts annual average at Nebraska.

BIGSTICK67

Elite Member
tPB OG
Ok…We had every opportunity to get a player like that and we recruited the one and only Jeff Sims. I’m not sure how that’s not a huge red flag to folks. These guys have no clue what they are looking for in a player because the offense has no identity. It’s just a rag tag group of coaches and players with the only stated goal being they want to rush for 75yards in the 4th quarter.

Open your eyes people, we are the get right game for the rest of the conference. Bottom dwellers.,
And there were oh so many QB's lining up to come to a losing program.

Did they F up by selecting Sims, no doubt. Do they have an opportunity to make another evaluation and attract a QB in the off season, yes as well.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
See, now you're making up arguments in your head again. No one has said things are perfect. I think everyone is pretty well clear that the offense has been underwhelming so far. But yet, we are still doing better than expectations. I get that it's apparently quite unfathomable to you that there is room for improvement in year 1 - particularly under a coach who admits he tries to do more of a slow build rather than a quick fix - but you need to calm your tits over it. Literally no one was expecting 7 wins. Hell, the Vegas odds were 6 and a lot of people were expecting the unders. You keep throwing out this golden opportunity thing like it was an expectation. It was a pleasant surprise. If it happened, fantastic. But Rhule isn't the second coming of Frost because we are suddenly less likely to get to 7 wins - which ironically would be nearly double Frosts annual average at Nebraska.
I think most people thought we could get to 6-7 wins this year with real coaching.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yeah, making a bowl would be a great success and it’s still achievable. Not sure what everyone else expected but winning the West was only in play bc the division is absolute garbage.
And expectations can change throughout the season. I never thought the BIG west would be this bad. With it being this bad not getting to a bowl is a failure especially if we can’t get it down in 4 games after being at 5-3.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
And expectations can change throughout the season. I never thought the BIG west would be this bad. With it being this bad not getting to a bowl is a failure especially if we can’t get it down in 4 games after being at 5-3.
Agree with you there

Gman1228

Linebacker
Elite Member
You know what else winning does? It helps power NIL and gets momentum going. I’m shocked that people on this board act like we don’t need momentum and we just absolutely squandered two perfect opportunities. I guess my expectations are too high.

Goskers07

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think most people thought we could get to 6-7 wins this year with real coaching.
6 was always on the high end of predictions when people accounted for all the Frost players being used. And alot of those people were expecting Sims not to be a total shit show. Or to not lose 8/11 day 1 starters on offense.

Gman1228

Linebacker
Elite Member
6 was always on the high end of predictions when people accounted for all the Frost players being used. And alot of those people were expecting Sims not to be a total shit show. Or to not lose 8/11 day 1 starters on offense.
Talk about moving the goal posts. If we would have just kept Frost’s players aka Casey Thompson, we would have fallen into 7-9 wins. What did we do though? Ran off Thompson and brought in a QB who turns the ball over every 10 plays.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Most Husker fans thought Rhule could make a bowl and he still might. If we don’t at this point it’s a failure considering the circumstances how we got there.

Goskers07

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Talk about moving the goal posts. If we would have just kept Frost’s players aka Casey Thompson, we would have fallen into 7-9 wins. What did we do though? Ran off Thompson and brought in a QB who turns the ball over every 10 plays.
Moving what goal posts? Thats almost exactly what I've been saying this whole time. Why do you insist on making up arguments? Looking back, I'd have loved to keep Thompson. However, it makes sense why they didn't too. They had no way of seeing how he was going to fit into their offense until preseason camp due to injury. That's a ton of risk. I was not a big fan of Sims either. I've already told you they weren't infallible.

So what is the next argument you're going to try to make up?

Goskers07

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Most Husker fans thought Rhule could make a bowl and he still might. If we don’t at this point it’s a failure considering the circumstances how we got there.
I really don't think I'd say most Husker fans. I suppose if you include Farmer Brown from Mullen who doesn't even realize we haven't gone to a bowl the past few seasons, but I seem to remember alot of people on here and other boards saying 6 on the high end.

I guess to boil it down, I'd be curious to go back and see what some of those poll threads were showing back before the season started.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
I really don't think I'd say most Husker fans. I suppose if you include Farmer Brown from Mullen who doesn't even realize we haven't gone to a bowl the past few seasons, but I seem to remember alot of people on here and other boards saying 6 on the high end.

I guess to boil it down, I'd be curious to go back and see what some of those poll threads were showing back before the season started.
Any poll I ever saw had us getting to a bowl and the way the season played out with how bad the BIG is there is no reason we shouldn’t. Rhule is also fucking himself big time if he doesn’t because he would gain a lot of good will with fans. He will never get a schedule this easy again. Either way Rhule needs to figure out the qb situation this next go around or he could really be fucked. Next years schedule will be tougher and 2025 looks really tough.

Gman1228

Linebacker
Elite Member
Moving what goal posts? Thats almost exactly what I've been saying this whole time. Why do you insist on making up arguments? Looking back, I'd have loved to keep Thompson. However, it makes sense why they didn't too. They had no way of seeing how he was going to fit into their offense until preseason camp due to injury. That's a ton of risk. I was not a big fan of Sims either. I've already told you they weren't infallible.

So what is the next argument you're going to try to make up?
Saying that “6” was always on the high end of expectations is absolutely bullshit. The Big Ten is a laughing stock this year, our schedule is a laughing stock. Why in the hell was 6 the expectation? These coaches made the decision to run off Casey when all they had to do was let him compete. We’ve fucked away a golden opportunity this year and again sucks.

Goskers07

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Any poll I ever saw had us getting to a bowl and the way the season played out with how bad the BIG is there is no reason we shouldn’t. Rhule is also fucking himself big time if he doesn’t because he would gain a lot of good will with fans. He will never get a schedule this easy again. Either way Rhule needs to figure out the qb situation this next go around or he could really be fucked. Next years schedule will be tougher and 2025 looks really tough.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the polls. I'm too damn lazy to go bump any on any site. But I will agree if we don't get thay bowl game that'll hurt. The offseason is going to be big for Rhule, too. Bringing in a functional QB is going to be huge. It seems obvious to say, but it's been seemingly hard for Nebraska to do the past decade or so.

BIGSTICK67

Elite Member
tPB OG
You know what else winning does? It helps power NIL and gets momentum going. I’m shocked that people on this board act like we don’t need momentum and we just absolutely squandered two perfect opportunities. I guess my expectations are too high.
I don't think anyone would disagree with how important momentum is. Multiple items can be true at once.

We do need the momentum and we did squander opportunities, so no arguments there.

It obviously doesn't always go according to plan, but we have more opportunities. I think this staff coaches with a sense of urgency, and also had some tough breaks. Injuries, personnel, shitty officiating...but the staff also doesn't make excuses. They acknowledge these items, but there aren't excuses.

Goskers07

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Saying that “6” was always on the high end of expectations is absolutely bullshit. The Big Ten is a laughing stock this year, our schedule is a laughing stock. Why in the hell was 6 the expectation? These coaches made the decision to run off Casey when all they had to do was let him compete. We’ve fucked away a golden opportunity this year and again sucks.
You're an idiot. Keep up. How is Casey supposed to compete when he is injured? This isn't Madden. It's not plug and play. There are risks to that.

You're such a simple minded thing.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds