Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Season turning from success to failure (4 Viewers)

Savedatmoney

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
Go back to February on this board or Tater Island and look at my posts discussing both Sims and Satterfield.

I’ve got a very long and well-documented history of not liking either. The only reason you may doubt that is because I refused to beat the same fucking point(s) into the ground.
Lol I’m good.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Lol no. Tigers don’t change their stripes. When you bring in a turnover machine as QB and an OC who led FBS in turnovers and expect different results, you’re on another level of stupid.
Last time Satt was Rhule's OC (Temple, which ran an offense which Rhule said is similar to his current offense) they were down to 1.4 turnovers in year 3 (Satt wasn't there year 4 because he took a FCS HC job).

In Rhule's 3 years at Baylor he was 2.1 in year 1 and down to 1.4 un year 3.

I am not sure why South Carolina's performance when Satt was there is all that informative by comparison. Rhule is heavily involved in the offense here and it is his offense. He didn't import South Carolina's offense.

Sims certainly was the wrong choice in hindsight. But the career FBS turnover leader had shown significant improvement over his career. He had a total of 3 lost fumbles in 2021 and 2022 combined; .88 INTs per game in 2021 and .42 INTs per game in 2022. This was after averaging 1.3 INTs and .5 FL a game freshman year. I can understand why he looked like someone worth gambling on. He was rated a top 15 portal QB.

Turn Down for What

Running Back
Elite Member
I always think it’s funny when people jump on here or tater vile and give their opinion on how they’re down on the coach or losing faith and then some jump in and get upset for voicing such an opinion.

This happened after year three with frost. Hell, even year two with frost people voiced opinions/ concerns. It’s almost like those people were on to something weren’t they? This offense is as bad as a cosgrove defense.

Last edited:

Savedatmoney

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
Last time Satt was Rhule's OC (Temple, which ran an offense which Rhule said is similar to his current offense) they were down to 1.4 turnovers in year 3 (Satt wasn't there year 4 because he took a FCS HC job).

In Rhule's 3 years at Baylor he was 2.1 in year 1 and down to 1.4 un year 3.

I am not sure why South Carolina's performance when Satt was there is all that informative by comparison. Rhule is heavily involved in the offense here and it is his offense. He didn't import South Carolina's offense.

Sims certainly was the wrong choice in hindsight. But the career FBS turnover leader had shown significant improvement over his career. He had a total of 3 lost fumbles in 2021 and 2022 combined; .88 INTs per game in 2021 and .42 INTs per game in 2022. This was after averaging 1.3 INTs and .5 FL a game freshman year. I can understand why he looked like someone worth gambling on. He was rated a top 15 portal QB.
How’d he do at UT Martin as OC? Satt also wasn’t the OC at Baylor, and didn’t coach QBs.

Temple also had PJ Walker at qb which by the way threw 4 picks when they played a p5 defense.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I always think it’s funny when people jump on here to tater vile and give their opinion on how they’re down on the coach or losing faith and then some jump in and get upset for voicing such an opinion.

This happened after year three with frost. Hell, even year two with frost people voiced opinions/ concerns. It’s almost like those people were on to something weren’t they? This offense is as bad as a cosgrove defense.
What offense do you think would work better? Don't say Cockeye.

Even Cockeye doesn't run all the time. Yesterday they threw 31 times for 223 yards.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
How’d he do at UT Martin as OC? Satt also wasn’t the OC at Baylor, and didn’t coach QBs.

Temple also had PJ Walker at qb which by the way threw 4 picks when they played a p5 defense.
I didn't say Satt was OC at Baylor because I know he wasn't, and because my point was, this is Rhule's offense, not Satts.

As to your PJ Walker point, yes, we don't have P5 QBs either it appears.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I didn't say Satt was OC at Baylor because I know he wasn't, and because my point was, this is Rhule's offense, not Satts.

This is absolutely correct. To be clear, This isn’t to say that Satt would be Andy Reid without Rhule’s handcuffs. However, schematically this is a Matt Rhule offense.

Savedatmoney

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG

As to your PJ Walker point, yes, we don't have P5 QBs either it appears.
No shit Carm. It was beamers offense at SC too. look at my original post. You bring in an OC who has a track record of being a leader in turnovers to run your offense. Stupid.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
It sure seems like Rhule has playsheets in his hand on the sideline.

Against NW and yesterday he was much more active with the offense in game than he’s been. He always has a play sheet and he generally keeps them in his pocket. But NW and yesterday he was very much engaged.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
No shit Carm. It was beamers offense at SC too. look at my original post. You bring in an OC who has a track record of being a leader in turnovers to run your offense. Stupid.

Who are you even arguing with now dude? Nobody really disagrees. So what are you doing shouting the same thing everyone agrees with in a manner that you think makes you some type of thought leader on the subject?

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
He was never going to bring in a guy who didn't understand what he wanted to do culturally and couldn't trust to execute it, or who he couldn't trust to install his offense and run it the way he wants. Now he is making sure the plays he wants in every situation get called.

Savedatmoney

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
Who are you even arguing with now dude? Nobody really disagrees. So what are you doing shouting the same thing everyone agrees with in a manner that you think makes you some type of thought leader on the subject?
I don’t give a shit about what your fence riding posts said in February buddy.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
What's more likely than Satt getting fired this year is that Satt moves on when Rhule thinks McGuire is fully "groomed", then McGuire becomes OC.

Savedatmoney

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
What's more likely than Satt getting fired this year is that Satt moves on when Rhule thinks McGuire is fully "groomed", then McGuire becomes OC.
You and true are some free thinkers

Goskers07

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Preseason predictions also assumed a slightly competitive and more difficult B10 West.

A bowl game is still the goal and we should all feel good if that happens, but winning the division looked entirely possible once it was clear the B10 west was a dumpster fire.

This schedule looked easy before the year, and now we know it’s even easier than we could’ve imagined. And we’re not taking advantage of it because we turn the ball over 3 times a game. Not going to a bowl game would be a failure, there’s just no other way to put it.
Are we in a position to be moving the goal posts? We've had equally as weak schedules over the last decade and it hasn't made a difference. Winning the west was a two week pipe dream simply because mathematically it was still possible. Not because we felt it was deserved.

Not going to a bowl game will be disappointing, not a failure. A failure would have been a winless season or a season in which no notable progress was made, showing that it was the wrong hire. Bowling is and was on the high end of our potential for the season, not the expectation right now.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I don’t give a shit about what your fence riding posts said in February buddy.
But firing Satt won't change anything. May even make things worse be creating OC-HC tensions unless there is some other Rhule disciple Matt can hire for the job.

You're really arguing for dismissing Rhule and getting a CEO HC, it seems to me, instead of a micro-managing one. That's actually a defensible position, although not one I'd advocate unless this year repeats a couple more times.

Natural9

Cornerback
Elite Member
Rhule is a builder. His 1st years are generally pretty bad on the field. Year 3/4 is when it takes off. Patience folks. Better talent that’s been developed over 2-3 years will significantly widen the margin for error against the bottom and mid-level B1G teams. The new challenge for Rhule will be consistently competing with (and beating) the elite.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds