Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Season turning from success to failure (4 Viewers)

Savedatmoney

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
Rhule has seen the turnovers happen and held people accountable for them. He’s not coaching them to happen or allowing them to happen. We are just running out of people to bench at this point.

The way to remedy the issue is to get new guys. I’m not really too upset with the last two weeks. I mean I hate that we lost. But Rhule is kind of out of things to do with this group.

I’m still upset with Satt, yes. But I think people have to get use to the idea he’s going to be here next year most likely.
Lol no. Tigers don’t change their stripes. When you bring in a turnover machine as QB and an OC who led FBS in turnovers and expect different results, you’re on another level of stupid.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
Thats just not true. The 2018 team down the stretch and the 2021 teams are much better than this years teams. We have 5 wins because we’ve played a laughing stock of a schedule. We are the same shitty team we have been, the Big Ten is just that bad this year.
No way were any Frost teams better at any point.

smh GIF

Gman1228

Linebacker
Elite Member
No way were any Frost teams better at any point.

smh GIF
The teams will never play each other so it is a stupid argument, but my point is that Nebraska hasn't improved this year. Our schedule is just that easy. We have actually regressed from Game 1 to Game 10 and that is extremely concerning.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Lol no. Tigers don’t change their stripes. When you bring in a turnover machine as QB and an OC who led FBS in turnovers and expect different results, you’re on another level of stupid.

I’ve been on the point longer than most about Jeff Sims. I agree with you. They made a mistake that they’ve got to own. But they did bench him and Haarberg has been benched now too for turnovers.

We’re out of people to bench.

What more do you want to happen right now?

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Rhule has seen the turnovers happen and held people accountable for them. He’s not coaching them to happen or allowing them to happen. We are just running out of people to bench at this point.

The way to remedy the issue is to get new guys. I’m not really too upset with the last two weeks. I mean I hate that we lost. But Rhule is kind of out of things to do with this group.

I’m still upset with Satt, yes. But I think people have to get use to the idea he’s going to be here next year most likely.
There is a story to tell a portal QB as well. It will be easy to show a decent QB "we didn't have a QB. If you would have been playing here this past season, we might have been 8-2, even 9-1, at this point of the first year of the rebuild".

The tough part is the next week weeks. Is Haarberg well enough to play or do we go with Purdy despite the fact he has been practicing all year with a groin injury that requires post-season surgery (playing him two entire games is a different decision than putting him in for the last ten minutes). I am assuming Sims never sees the field here again. Anything bad happens and he disintegrates now.

Red Finger

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Mark Wahlberg Chill GIF

With the roster, injuries, and incompetence at QB it’s so hard to give a fair evaluation right now. Seriously might be the worst QB room in the power 5.

If they get to 6 wins it’ll have been a great year. Regardless of what happens there will be another major overhaul next year. I already think Rhule has plenty of recruiting ammo heading into the offseason. 6 wins would just be the cherry on top. Can’t miss on QB like they did this year. I’ll be paying attention to that like everyone else will.

Huskerforlife

Head Coach
Elite Member
The teams will never play each other so it is a stupid argument, but my point is that Nebraska hasn't improved this year. Our schedule is just that easy. We have actually regressed from Game 1 to Game 10 and that is extremely concerning.
Defense this year is light years ahead of what we had with Frost.

Schedule may be easy this season, but we haven't regressed from game 1 to game 10.

It's the injuries that killed us, and the QBs turning the ball over.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I want to not make stupid calls and set them up to fail. Saturday had a litany of them.

#1 - Opening the game with a slot fade...Maryland sets their $ so they have 3 over 2, the slot fade is dead...yet...HH just stares at it the whole time while Boerk is running a corner route 1:1, and is open. Why are they calling shit the QBs can't execute...at all. Or...They've run a ton of slot fades the last 3 weeks minimum...and you can't get him to read it yet....Come on.

#2 - We ran a Q Counter RPO with the TB exiting the backfield for a screen 4 times on Saturday...The result, about 5 yards and a fumble. The perimeter blocking has been pretty shoddy all year long. The reason Sims fumbled was he panicked and didn't run where the blocking scheme was designed...

#3 - Immediately after Sims fumbled on the Q Counter RPO...What do they do when they get the ball back...YOLO, lets call a shot play with basically a 2 man route and Maryland doesn't bite...at all. Your turnover prone, fragile QB, who just led you to 10 points, and turned the ball over...nah....fuck it, lets not calm him down or let him settle back in....let him fail again.

#4 - As soon as they rip off a solid run, and get into the green zone, there's about a 75% change they're running a shot play...Stay ahead of the sticks, half our our shot plays get blown up from the get go because the right side of the OL breaks down.

#5 - Probably the worst thing to happen was the pick that ended the game. They literally drove the field running two plays, and one completion. They ripped off a Duo run for 29 yards, literally, 5 freaking plays ago. RUN IT AGAIN. But no, they do literally, the worst thing you could possible do, turn the ball over. You run the ball there and either bang it in the a touchdown, or take the FG. Which now puts more pressure on Maryland, which most likely eliminates most of their run game, and the defense can be more aggressive. But now Maryland could take their time, run whatever they wanted, because let's face it...if we're up at least 3...those idiot sandwiches over there are going to huck and chuck it to score and win the game.

Have to be better...Have to...players need to execute and be better...coaches need to put them in better positions to succeed and stop asking them to do things they can't execute

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
I want to not make stupid calls and set them up to fail. Saturday had a litany of them.

#1 - Opening the game with a slot fade...Maryland sets their $ so they have 3 over 2, the slot fade is dead...yet...HH just stares at it the whole time while Boerk is running a corner route 1:1, and is open. Why are they calling shit the QBs can't execute...at all. Or...They've run a ton of slot fades the last 3 weeks minimum...and you can't get him to read it yet....Come on.

#2 - We ran a Q Counter RPO with the TB exiting the backfield for a screen 4 times on Saturday...The result, about 5 yards and a fumble. The perimeter blocking has been pretty shoddy all year long.

#3 - Immediately after Sims fumbled on the Q Counter RPO...What do they do when they get the ball back...YOLO, lets call a shot play with basically a 2 man route and Maryland doesn't bite...at all. Your turnover prone, fragile QB, who just led you to 10 points, and turned the ball over...nah....fuck it, lets not calm him down or let him settle back in....let him fail again.

#4 - As soon as they rip off a solid run, and get into the green zone, there's about a 75% change they're running a shot play...Stay ahead of the sticks, half our our shot plays get blown up from the get go because the right side of the OL breaks down.

#5 - Probably the worst thing to happen was the pick that ended the game. They literally drove the field running two plays, and one completion. They ripped off a Duo run for 29 yards, literally, 5 freaking plays ago. RUN IT AGAIN. But no, they do literally, the worst thing you could possible do, turn the ball over. You run the ball there and either bang it in the a touchdown, or take the FG. Which now puts more pressure on Maryland, which most likely eliminates most of their run game, and the defense can be more aggressive. But now Maryland could take their time, run whatever they wanted, because let's face it...if we're up at least 3...those idiot sandwiches over there are going to huck and chuck it to score and win the game.

Have to be better...Have to...players need to execute and be better...coaches need to put them in better positions to succeed and stop asking them to do things they can't execute
Prince Harry Mic Drop GIF

wildcat_husker

Cornerback
Elite Member
Stop calling plays your players have proven they’re unable to execute. Be Cockeye. Admit to yourself you have a shit offense and do everything possible to keep them from fucking you over.
They average more pass attempts per game and have a better defense than us. We’re ranked 130th in pass attempts per game.

They’re trying. You can only do so much with this QB group. Short routes? Interceptions. Play action? Interceptions. Long routes? Interceptions.

Savedatmoney

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
I’ve been on the point longer than most about Jeff Sims. I agree with you. They made a mistake that they’ve got to own. But they did bench him and Haarberg has been benched now too for turnovers.

We’re out of people to bench.

I’m sure you have been on Sims. You conveniently ignored the part about Shitterfield.

Savedatmoney

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG

#2 - We ran a Q Counter RPO with the TB exiting the backfield for a screen 4 times on Saturday...The result, about 5 yards and a fumble. The perimeter blocking has been pretty shoddy all year long. The reason Sims fumbled was he panicked and didn't run where the blocking scheme was designed...

Yup- you run it down their throats, have first and goal at the 5 with under 4 min left. First play you pass it. Series is over at that point, you run it 2 more times. If you score great, worse case you take the points on a FG.

Hell if you want to be aggressive run it 4 times if you get it to the 1.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I’m sure you have been on Sims. You conveniently ignored the part about Shitterfield.

Go back to February on this board or Tater Island and look at my posts discussing both Sims and Satterfield.

I’ve got a very long and well-documented history of not liking either. The only reason you may doubt that is because I refused to beat the same fucking point(s) into the ground.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds