Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Satterfield (4 Viewers)

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
Bored, and watching back through the purdoodoo game. The WR, TE, and H/FB blocking leaves a lot to be desired...whom I kidding...it's a bucket of hot dog water. There were several big plays to be had in the first half that would have blown the doors off of Purdoodoo.

I think it was his best called game of the season. Sure it helped having round 1 against Illinois, but that defense seems to be set up to take away most of the things we want to do, and Satt did a good job of attacking outside. Generally give a ton of credit to him (and Rhule obviously) for installing a bunch of the stuff we have been doing on offense on the fly for HH's skillset.

Herbie

Quarterback
I think it was his best called game of the season. Sure it helped having round 1 against Illinois, but that defense seems to be set up to take away most of the things we want to do, and Satt did a good job of attacking outside. Generally give a ton of credit to him (and Rhule obviously) for installing a bunch of the stuff we have been doing on offense on the fly for HH's skillset.
Heinrich Heisman Harberg has a skill set?

theDankness

Linebacker
Elite Member
I’m pretty much a major over reactor during and immediately following the games.

I’ll say this…he’s not awful.
I thought he called an alright game in the first half. The play action shots were good. Shit. They ran duo pretty well most of the game.

I get it. You’re dealing with a shit show on offense. And doing your best to move the ball and score a few points.

That said. These are the things that drive me bonkers.

1. This team and OL in particular in my mind….is clearly a better gap scheme than zone. Play to those strengths. They ran Duo pretty well today.

2. Set them up for success. Today was nuts. I don’t know how many times they ran IZ. But it was a lot. And they had 2 free hitters. Every. Fuckikg. Time. We were taking our 5 OL and a TE. 6 guys. And only get 4 blocked. That’s dumb. Not only that. They played an 8 man front defense the whole game with a bear front. Inside Zone sucks vs a bear front. That’s how Bud Foster and Va tech demolished Ohio States offense several years ago when they were just juggernauts.

Finally, they’ve ran power read. Pretty damn well. And I’ve seen it maybe 4 times. Go back to that well.

I'm not a big X's and O's guy like yourself, but if we have a walk on TE and a rFR with a knee held together by popsicle sticks and elmers glue to seal an edge, with a back up G making his first or second start pulling to get to the second level, and a QB who doesn't know how to read a defensive front....you probably can only take a few shots at power read a game. And the IZ they keep hammering probably helps set that up.

Am I way off base?

I've gotta think at this point with a QB who literally took a snap at TE this season, top 2 RBs out, top 4 WRs in fall camp out, 60% of your starting OL out, that the message to Satt is play conservative, eat up clock, and pound the rock hoping they can break a few big runs as the game goes on. Sprinkle the play action or roll outs with a simple read, hope a combo of that gets you to 20 points and lean like hell on the D.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I'm not a big X's and O's guy like yourself, but if we have a walk on TE and a rFR with a knee held together by popsicle sticks and elmers glue to seal an edge, with a back up G making his first or second start pulling to get to the second level, and a QB who doesn't know how to read a defensive front....you probably can only take a few shots at power read a game. And the IZ they keep hammering probably helps set that up.

Am I way off base?

I've gotta think at this point with a QB who literally took a snap at TE this season, top 2 RBs out, top 4 WRs in fall camp out, 60% of your starting OL out, that the message to Satt is play conservative, eat up clock, and pound the rock hoping they can break a few big runs as the game goes on. Sprinkle the play action or roll outs with a simple read, hope a combo of that gets you to 20 points and lean like hell on the D.
I agree with your second part. Not so much the first.

The walk on TE has played a lot. I think Fidone is fine physically. The back up guard better be able to pull on power, otherwise, why are we running it in the first place. If you trust your QB to read the run game from an IZ perspective, IMO, power read is an easier read, he should be able to do both.

IM4NUALWAYS

Linebacker
Elite Member
I think it is very hard to gauge the OC with all of the injuries and the level of QB play.

The level of QB play is somewhat on his record of performance though.

Scarlet ObsessioN

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I think it is very hard to gauge the OC with all of the injuries and the level of QB play.

The level of QB play is somewhat on his record of performance though.
After what we've seen the last 6-8 years I don't know how anyone can say that we aren't seeing some really good coaching going on right now. It's obviously got a long way to go but the fact is that the team has looked better and better as the year has gone on.

No one on the previous staff thought HH was even worth traveling and here he is leading us into a chase for a conference championship.

If we are midway through next year and the offense is stalling versus the elite teams and the D can't keep up, then I will start to voice some concern.

Not this year though, this is playing with house money and has been so damn fun to watch. It's been a magical year and I can't wait to see how it ends.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I've heard/seen this a lot. I disagree completely. I think you can really judge the OC based on how he's trying to attack and move the ball with a limited personnel. Most of the time when I'm venting, I'm a beer drinking fan, mostly pissed at the lack of production...but after going back and looking at it in detail...okay now. You can see the plan in place.

For example, they ran Q Duo several times in the first half, a couple could have popped for big plays, but because of piss poor blocking from WR/TEs...they were small gains. That's a legitimate plan of attack. Using the personnel and strengths of what they have, to try and gain an advantage somewhere. Hence, my retraction so far. I haven't went through the 2nd half yet...

IM4NUALWAYS

Linebacker
Elite Member
I've heard/seen this a lot. I disagree completely. I think you can really judge the OC based on how he's trying to attack and move the ball with a limited personnel. Most of the time when I'm venting, I'm a beer drinking fan, mostly pissed at the lack of production...but after going back and looking at it in detail...okay now. You can see the plan in place.

For example, they ran Q Duo several times in the first half, a couple could have popped for big plays, but because of piss poor blocking from WR/TEs...they were small gains. That's a legitimate plan of attack. Using the personnel and strengths of what they have, to try and gain an advantage somewhere. Hence, my retraction so far. I haven't went through the 2nd half yet...
Well at some point you have to get better and make things work with who you have.

CybrrMonky71

FukUJarvisRedwine
Elite Member
Bored, and watching back through the purdoodoo game. The WR, TE, and H/FB blocking leaves a lot to be desired...whom I kidding...it's a bucket of hot dog water. There were several big plays to be had in the first half that would have blown the doors off of Purdoodoo.
Before we were left with Freshmen at WR they were blocking well. 18 yr old kids who didn’t know what a block was before August aren’t going to get it done.
We have 1 FB on the team (Liebentritt). Thst dude was a assassin before he got hurt (& didn’t play enough)
The TEs are ass at blocking. No idea what’s going on with Bork. He’s regressing

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
You think he called a good game? Like running inside zone constantly into a bear front and 8 man box is smart? Or calling your Qs number after he just got his shit rocked.

Or how about running power read for good yardage and never coming back to it.

Straight trash homie.
Yeah I felt he did a decent job in passing game, but wanted to see more counter/power. Felt like later when they went to play that doubled the 3 tech they had more success.

Don’t know why it took so long to get to those plays

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member

So Satterfield is calling good plays the offense just isn’t being efficient? You don’t say

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Rhule can’t be happy with the way our offense is progressing. We are a sloppy team on offense. The turnovers have to make him want to go homicidal.
Offenses coached by Satterfield have finished last in conference in turnovers the last 3 years in a row

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds