Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Sad member news (RIP BBTownBomber/Elizabeth Reed) (1 Viewer)

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
During times of loss it's important to take a look at the final words of the deceased - it often shows what they cared most about. I share with you @Elizabeth Reed last post on this board:

"Dandy looking ribeye……..😎👍 ."

And I'll be damned - the rule rings true once again.

This weekend, when I grill a steak, it will be in honor of the Bomber. 😎(y)

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
During times of loss it's important to take a look at the final words of the deceased - it often shows what they cared most about. I share with you @Elizabeth Reed last post on this board:

"Dandy looking ribeye……..😎👍 ."

And I'll be damned - the rule rings true once again.

This weekend, when I grill a steak, it will be in honor of the Bomber. 😎(y)
He would have given your post the :love:

HuskerDocCo

100 & havin fun GBR !!
tPB OG
Hi everyone I really don't like writing this, but I found out this morning board member Elizabeth Reed passed away last night. It was very unexpected and as of right now I don't know anything else.

For those that don't know he was also BBtown Bomber in Rivals and Tater Island. He was a great dude and one of the biggest Husker fans I knew.
this is awful to hear, thanks fitz

HuskerGarrett

If we die, we die
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
This really sucks. The more I think about it, there probably wouldn't even be a tPB without Denny. Whenever that whole fight on Rivals went down between him, Dean, Huskercubs, @HuskerDocCo and whoever else was involved, that really motivated us even more to make a new board and get out of there. He was always so passionate about whatever he was posting about. I know I inadvertently pissed him off multiple times, but he always calmed down and was a really great person.

He was just in Denver recently. I was supposed to bring him a TPB hat to match his polo and our schedules just didn't match up for it to work out. I really wish I would have made it work.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
This is absolutely terrible news that doesn't seem real. BBtownBomber was one of the greats. The world is a lesser place without him. The more I talk about this the sadder I get about it.

On a lighter note, and given I knew him I think he'd appreciate this....

But this was Denny's last post ever on any Husker Message Board (See @Faux Sean Callahan 's post). The son of a bitch went out taking a shot at ol' Sean Callahan.

I picture this being like one of the final scenes in Field of Dreams... Where Bomber is walking into the cornfield after just an incredible message board performance and we all look at him and say "Hi Bomber. You were good. Real good." And he nods and walks into the cornfield into paradise.

Sad day .

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I picture this being like one of the final scenes in Field of Dreams... Where Bomber is walking into the cornfield after just an incredible message board performance and we all look at him and say "Hi Bomber. You were good. Real good." And he nods and walks into the cornfield into paradise.
General Public: Is this I.owa?

Bomber: No...It's Cockeye.

Field Of Dreams Baseball GIF by PeacockTV

HuskerGarrett

If we die, we die
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Whenever his obit is posted, someone please share it here.

Also @HuskerGarrett I'd be willing to chip in for some flowers or memorial to him from tPB if you guys are up for it.
Absolutely. I’d like to try to make it out to Scottsbluff for the service if it’s open to the public too, please let us know if you hear anything @Fitzjess21

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG

Just coming here to post this, Carm. Here's the writeup from Wikipedia:

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" is an instrumental composition by the American group The Allman Brothers Band. It first appeared on their second studio album, Idlewild South (1970), released on Capricorn Records. The jazz-influenced piece was written by guitarist Dickey Betts, among his first writing credits for the group. Betts named it after a headstone he saw for Elizabeth Jones Reed Napier[1] in Rose Hill Cemetery in the band's hometown of Macon, Georgia. Multiple versions of the composition have been recorded, with the version performed on the group's 1971 live album At Fillmore East generally considered the definitive rendition.

Overview[edit]​

Headstone for Elizabeth Reed at Rose Hill Cemetery.
The original studio recording of "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" is the fourth track on the group's 1970 album Idlewild South. Composed by Dickey Betts, it is the first instrumental written by a band member, and the first of several that Betts would write and become known for.[2] The original Rolling Stone review of Idlewild South said the piece "just goes and goes for a stupendous, and unnoticed, seven minutes."[3]

"In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" was inspired by a woman Betts was involved with in the group's hometown of Macon, Georgia. She was the girlfriend of musician Boz Scaggs, with Betts later saying she "was Hispanic and somewhat dark and mysterious—and she really used it to her advantage and played it to the hilt."[4] To cloak her identity, the composition is named after a headstone Betts saw at the Rose Hill Cemetery, where band members often ventured in their early days to relax and write songs.[4] Considerable legend developed about the piece's genesis and what Betts was doing at the time, much of it fueled by a put-on interview band leader Duane Allman gave Rolling Stone.[5] "Duane told some crazy shit about that graveyard. I don't wanna tell all--but that's the part that matters," Betts later said.[4] For his part, vocalist Gregg Allman was candid about his experiences in the cemetery: "I'd be lying if I said I didn't have my way with a lady or two down there."[6] The cemetery later became the final resting spot of Duane and Gregg Allman, along with bassist Berry Oakley.

The Rolling Stone Album Guide called "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" in its original studio incarnation "the blueprint of a concert warhorse, capturing the Allmans at their most adventurous."[7] The New York Times has written that "its written riffs and jazz-ish harmonies [allow] improvisers room."[8] Accordingly, "Elizabeth Reed" has appeared in many Allman Brothers concerts, sometimes running half an hour or more,[9] and on numerous Allman Brothers live albums, but first and most notably on At Fillmore East, which many fans and critics believe is the definitive rendition. In 2007, Rolling Stone named "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" one of its Fifty Best Songs Over Seven Minutes Long[10] – and in giving it Honorable Mention on its 100 Greatest Guitar Songs of All Time list made 2008, Rolling Stone called the At Fillmore East performance "transcendent".[11]

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds