Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

POLL: Call your shot…is Frost the Head Football Coach at DONU on January 1, 2022? (2 Viewers)

?

• Yes

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 88 73.3%

• Total voters

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
I forgot that Bill O'Brien was Penn State's coach for a few years. A Belichek disciple, with Big 10 HC and NFL HC experience, and now he's going to through the Nick Saban remedial coaching clinic.

I wouldn't mind O'Brien as our coach.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I'm wondering if the buyout is truly insurmountable. Those who say he gets one more year because of it's too high, that's $5 million that's keeping him here another year.

Things to also factor in would be the buyout to pull whatever coach we hire from their current program. And frankly, I hope they go with a guy that already has P5 experience. So a buyout would likely be involved.

Matt Campbell and Luke #2ndChoice both have $4 million buyouts.
Gus Malzahn has a staggering $7 million buyout.
Billy Napier sits at $3 million.

On the other hand, if we could pull off a miracle and convince Chris Petersen to come out of retirement, he'd be a free agent. No buyout attached.

Same with Bill O'Brien at Alabama. I looked at his contract and can't find a buyout for him as an OC. In comparison, Venables' contract at Clemson allows him to jump to a HC gig without a buyout. Only time you'd have to pay the school to poach him would be if you wanted him as a DC.

Those hires would nullify $3-$7 million required to make a change after this season. If Turd could get something locked up behind the scenes with a coach like that, he's suddenly footing a bill that people wanting to give Frost five years are essentially admitting they are ok with.
Frost looks like a guy who wants to be absolutely anywhere else. I wouldn't be shocked if he took a reduced buyout just to GTFO of Lincoln. finding out he's being retained for another year might be the worst news he could get right now

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I forgot that Bill O'Brien was Penn State's coach for a few years. A Belichek disciple, with Big 10 HC and NFL HC experience, and now he's going to through the Nick Saban remedial coaching clinic.

I wouldn't mind O'Brien as our coach.
I always thought he did a pretty good job at PSU being the first post-JoePa coach and having to deal with the loss of scholarships

That SOB Van Owen

In Mombasa drinkin’ gin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Callahan had two winning seasons and a division title - gone after year 4.

Riley had one winning season and a bowl win - gone after year 3.

Frost has no winning seasons. I think he needs to win at least 7 to get another year. I don’t think that’s happening.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I always thought he did a pretty good job at PSU being the first post-JoePa coach and having to deal with the loss of scholarships
Remember all the talk about what Frost inherited and that's why he couldn't be successful? BoB is either the exception that proves the rule or it was a bunch of mularkey

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Even if Frost manages to get 6 wins, you have to wonder what affect it will have on recruiting and roster attrition

If we get a new coach he can come in and convince some of our better players to stick around and it might energize recruiting for 2023
If Frost gets another year it kills recruiting the next two years because he is one bad year from being fired and if he is fired next year the new coach will have a shitty class. They keep saying we are only taking 14 kids this year. If we are taking a low number it’s time to move unless his team improves a lot during the season.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Callahan had two winning seasons and a division title - gone after year 4.

Riley had one winning season and a bowl win - gone after year 3.

Frost has no winning seasons. I think he needs to win at least 7 to get another year. I don’t think that’s happening.
I think he should be fired, but I bet he would get another year with 6.

Savedatmoney

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm wondering if the buyout is truly insurmountable. Those who say he gets one more year because of it's too high, that's $5 million that's keeping him here another year.

Things to also factor in would be the buyout to pull whatever coach we hire from their current program. And frankly, I hope they go with a guy that already has P5 experience. So a buyout would likely be involved.

Matt Campbell and Luke #2ndChoice both have $4 million buyouts.
Gus Malzahn has a staggering $7 million buyout.
Billy Napier sits at $3 million.

On the other hand, if we could pull off a miracle and convince Chris Petersen to come out of retirement, he'd be a free agent. No buyout attached.

Same with Bill O'Brien at Alabama. I looked at his contract and can't find a buyout for him as an OC. In comparison, Venables' contract at Clemson allows him to jump to a HC gig without a buyout. Only time you'd have to pay the school to poach him would be if you wanted him as a DC.

Those hires would nullify $3-$7 million required to make a change after this season. If Turd could get something locked up behind the scenes with a coach like that, he's suddenly footing a bill that people wanting to give Frost five years are essentially admitting they are ok with.
Does CP keep lubdick?

doublewing

Running Back
He's gone. It will be shortly after the end of the regular season. Apathy is setting in and the administration will have to make a change.

I'd say he saves himself with 7 wins but that isn't happening. This staff will be lucky to get 5.

Black Dean

Dean but also Black
Insider
tPB OG
He's gone. It will be shortly after the end of the regular season. Apathy is setting in and the administration will have to make a change.

I'd say he saves himself with 7 wins but that isn't happening. This staff will be lucky to get 5.

I had 5 with Illinois as a win needed; but I was on the fence with that game as I knew BB was a decent coach who would out coach us

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
I had 5 with Illinois as a win needed; but I was on the fence with that game as I knew BB was a decent coach who would out coach us
I had 5 and I was confident Illinois would be a win. I thought MSU was the tougher game coming out of Oklahoma. I doubt we win that game now. Frost couldn’t afford a 3-2 start. There is a good chance he will start 2-3. If that’s the case it’s for sure if over for him.

mcgradynu

Linebacker
Elite Member
tPB OG
Frost looks like a guy who wants to be absolutely anywhere else. I wouldn't be shocked if he took a reduced buyout just to GTFO of Lincoln. finding out he's being retained for another year might be the worst news he could get right now
I agree with this. I don’t see this going into Year 5 if it’s the same result. Frost is fucked up mentally. He did most of it to himself, but he also did lose his dad in an already fucked up year. The guy is broken. I don’t see this getting better. It wouldn’t surprise me if he didn’t last the season on his own accord should things spiral early.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
How fuckin insane of a fall from grace would that be, after all the hype and expectations that were put on him but also he said publicly, that he just walked away.....I feel like that's the type of situation we wouldn't hear him a lick about him for 2 years because he's been "away" and then he just pops up as an analyst or a WR coach again somewhere. Would he even want to be a HC again after all this? Wild scenarios after his rise through the ranks.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
How fuckin insane of a fall from grace would that be, after all the hype and expectations that were put on him but also he said publicly, that he just walked away.....I feel like that's the type of situation we wouldn't hear him a lick about him for 2 years because he's been "away" and then he just pops up as an analyst or a WR coach again somewhere. Would he even want to be a HC again after all this? Wild scenarios after his rise through the ranks.
For real, football aside it's just absolutely depressing. The 1-in-a-million Worst Case Scenario that he was openly concerned about when he initially took the job. Even though I don't think he can be our coach anymore I don't have any ill will toward the guy (barring some wild rumors being proven true). It's just a spectacular face plant, I almost can't believe it.

Black Dean

Dean but also Black
Insider
tPB OG
This will almost need a 30 for 30 of his entire life, the entire 90s ordeal (including hiding from LP) the Boise / Oregon fight, ride to fame at UCF and his failures at Nebraska

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
For real, football aside it's just absolutely depressing. The 1-in-a-million Worst Case Scenario that he was openly concerned about when he initially took the job. Even though I don't think he can be our coach anymore I don't have any ill will toward the guy (barring some wild rumors being proven true). It's just a spectacular face plant, I almost can't believe it.
It is just probably the most Nebraska thing in the last 20 years to happen. The odds of him failing (assuming it's over) were so damn low, it was an after thought. To think it may actually happen, just no way. And to think about all the stuff he said the media said and how the majority of Husker Nation felt and all the wild predictions that were all just kinda shrugged away cause everyone was so stoked about the hire.....boy, just a sad situation right now. I'm hoping he has a come to jesus moment somehow.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
This will almost need a 30 for 30 of his entire life, the entire 90s ordeal (including hiding from LP) the Boise / Oregon fight, ride to fame at UCF and his failures at Nebraska
I'm not being funny, but the only way that happens is if he shoots himself after getting fired and then a bunch of stuff comes out about his personal life

Or if he's roaming the sidelines at USC 8 years from now on the career redemption arc of a lifetime

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I'm not being funny, but the only way that happens is if he shoots himself after getting fired and then a bunch of stuff comes out about his personal life

Or if he's roaming the sidelines at USC 8 years from now on the career redemption arc of a lifetime
Assuming he's toast here, I think we'll see him pop up either somewhere in the PAC 12 or at UCF in 2-3 years. I would bet oregon, USC, or UCLA if he went back to the PAC 12. Think it'd be like an assistant to the OC role, so he doesn't have to take in any attention. I'm sure he probably wants out of the lime light at this point.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
It is just probably the most Nebraska thing in the last 20 years to happen. The odds of him failing (assuming it's over) were so damn low, it was an after thought. To think it may actually happen, just no way. And to think about all the stuff he said the media said and how the majority of Husker Nation felt and all the wild predictions that were all just kinda shrugged away cause everyone was so stoked about the hire.....boy, just a sad situation right now. I'm hoping he has a come to jesus moment somehow.

giphy.gif

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds