Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Phil Steele B1G predictions (2 Viewers)

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
Phil picks us 5th in the division and Wisconsin 1st. Michigan 1st in the East division.

I haven't followed him near as close the last 3-5 years, but for decades he was one of the most accurate predictors in college football. With the advent of data, it seems many others have caught up. FWIW, here is the link.

Herbie

Quarterback
I’m confused as to why they expect quicker results at Wisconsin from the new head coach?
Isn’t the OC taking the offense to essentially an air raid? Also the qb is a guy who largely flopped in P5 at qb under Lincoln Riley. Also there 13 tds to 10 ints at smu vs P5 or T25 teams

Leaves a lot to be desired

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
I’m confused as to why they expect quicker results at Wisconsin from the new head coach?
Isn’t the OC taking the offense to essentially an air raid? Also the qb is a guy who largely flopped in P5 at qb under Lincoln Riley. Also there 13 tds to 10 ints at smu vs P5 or T25 teams

I do not understand all the love being shown Wisconsin either. They have a lot of questions this year.

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
I do not understand all the love being shown Wisconsin either. They have a lot of questions this year.

I'd say it's mostly about history the last decade or two. Rhule can change that narrative by going 7-5 or 8-4 this season.

Wiscy going 6-6 in consecutive years would be helpful to changing perceptions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irv

CornFed Gregger

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member

Their athletic department did a good job of controlling the narrative when firing Paul Chryst so everyone believes a guy who won 8-9 games every year was under achieving then it was supposed to be Leonhard’s job then Leipolds which made #2ndChoice a grand slam hire.

I think he’s a solid coach but it’s one thing to punch ur ticket to the CFP by beating Indiana & notre dame, it’s completely different when u got 10 of those games week after week after week. I hate to say it but Cockeye might have the inside track this year.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
What did Pick Six Previews predict? He’s much better than Steele

doublewing

Running Back
The defense might be better than we expect.
I hope so, I'm still tempted to bet the under win total.

giphy.gif

JerryBones5

Safety
Elite Member
Pick'Em Champion
I think Phil has been burned by NU enough that he's skeptical hippo, which is warranted and where I'm at.

6 wins is going to be difficult with the OL and transition to a new offense and defense. I like Rhule but 2023 is going to be a rough one.
I have a feeling Jeff Sims is going to turn a lot of heads this fall if he can stay healthy. Also, I have more faith in satterfield(with Rhule) scheming up a gameplay to help the Oline unlike Whipple who was 3 to 5 step drops 65% of the time. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

Cornicator

Cornerback
Insider

1. Their schedule is a cake walk.
2. Their defensive personnell will be one of the oldest and most experienced in the Power 5.

Poor_and_Stupid

Prolific Beaver Murderer
Elite Member

In the real would they would be punished with 2 decades of misery for firing a winning coach and abandoning what made them good. In The Simulation™ they will be rewarded with immediate and sustained success just because it will piss us off. The parallels to us firing Solich are all right before our eyes. It’s just a setup to get under our simulated skin.

Edit: Not to mention that we also had our pick between #2ndChoice and Rhule so obviously he is going to completely tear it up there.

Last edited:

Blakejc

Corporate Potato
Elite Member
1. Their schedule is a cake walk.
2. Their defensive personnell will be one of the oldest and most experienced in the Power 5.
This. Washington St. the toughest non con game. All their tough league games are at home. If they didn’t have the uncertainty of it being year 1 under #2ndChoice you’d absolutely pick them to win 10 or even 11.

BorWhiskey

Ziggy Stardust
Insider
Elite Member
I think with Wisconsin it’s a simple calculation that the media is doing.

Wisconsin = solid program
#2ndChoice = good coach

Wisconsin + #2ndChoice = obvious success

I can’t fault them for it. It’s a zag to say anything other than that.

I’m going to zag, though, and say that them going with the passing attack is going to be a problem for them. Their OL isn’t ready to pass pro as much as they are going to and their world class defense relies on complementary football, I.e. their offense controlling the clock. Their identity is getting a rebrand and I don’t think it’ll work out as well as they hope. If it does, then #2ndChoice will have them in the playoff by ‘26. If it goes how I think/hope it will, he’ll be looking for a new OC in two years, and a new job in five.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds