Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Outdoors thread (2 Viewers)

TheRedRedRobin

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
this seems like a good thread to get some advice in (as dangerous, as i know that can be).

so, here's the deal. i am approaching middle age - 68yrs to be exact. :cool: i've never hunted. well, one time with friends in college from Harvard (i was from Hastings) and they took me pheasant hunting. don't ask.

but other than that, no hunting in my world. my Dad didn't hunt. we played golf all the time. now fast forward a few years, like till now, and i have 25yr & 30yr old boys. they both have interest in hunting and learning properly. i'd like to make that happen.

i'm aware of online safety courses and would certainly exhaust those, but is anyone aware of 1:1 or 1:3 hunting training? deer/elk likely their interest.
years ago, there was a guy in eastern washington that would spend like 5 days with someone to teach them the ropes. i'd looked into it at that time but never made it happen. i probably went golfing instead back then.
just wondering if there are any options or advice anyone here might know of. my perception is hunters like bringing young new hunters to the sport. probably could care less about a guy my age but it would be something my boys would do for decades. guess i'm picturing sort of an emersion time. doesn't matter where really. i'd anticipate a fee involved and for the right teacher, i'd have no problem with that and would expect it.
again, tia for any thoughts.
great thread btw.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
this seems like a good thread to get some advice in (as dangerous, as i know that can be).

so, here's the deal. i am approaching middle age - 68yrs to be exact. :cool: i've never hunted. well, one time with friends in college from Harvard (i was from Hastings) and they took me pheasant hunting. don't ask.

but other than that, no hunting in my world. my Dad didn't hunt. we played golf all the time. now fast forward a few years, like till now, and i have 25yr & 30yr old boys. they both have interest in hunting and learning properly. i'd like to make that happen.

i'm aware of online safety courses and would certainly exhaust those, but is anyone aware of 1:1 or 1:3 hunting training? deer/elk likely their interest.
years ago, there was a guy in eastern washington that would spend like 5 days with someone to teach them the ropes. i'd looked into it at that time but never made it happen. i probably went golfing instead back then.
just wondering if there are any options or advice anyone here might know of. my perception is hunters like bringing young new hunters to the sport. probably could care less about a guy my age but it would be something my boys would do for decades. guess i'm picturing sort of an emersion time. doesn't matter where really. i'd anticipate a fee involved and for the right teacher, i'd have no problem with that and would expect it.
great thread btw.
Do you have any friends or other family that hunt and aren’t idiots? Because if they are ethical and reasonable people, that would be a good route. I’d hope they’d be willing to take you guys out and offer whatever knowledge they have.

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member

great thread btw.
Where are the boys living now?

TheRedRedRobin

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
Do you have any friends or other family that hunt and aren’t idiots? Because if they are ethical and reasonable people, that would be a good route. I’d hope they’d be willing to take you guys out and offer whatever knowledge they have.
logical. just not any close relatives. i'll be seeing my bro-in-law next week in NY. he's got nephews who apparently do very serious hunting every year in Montana where they live. they go out for multiple weeks at a time every year. so they are very serious and accomplished in the sport. we'll discuss a possible rendezvous with them for sure. it's fam so that'd be good.

Milo-of-Croton

Cornerback
Elite Member
Post card...

333293565_728408775353566_8710104178463690046_n.jpg

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
logical. just not any close relatives. i'll be seeing my bro-in-law next week in NY. he's got nephews who apparently do very serious hunting every year in Montana where they live. they go out for multiple weeks at a time every year. so they are very serious and accomplished in the sport. we'll discuss a possible rendezvous with them for sure. it's fam so that'd be good.
Good deal. That would be my suggestion. Use your extended network of family and friends. Even if it is someone that is more of an acquaintance, try to build that relationship. Some of the best learning is during the off-season anyway, so now is a great time to start.

BushAK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
Northern lights put on a show last night

Attachments

• FDD391E6-8FB8-4D80-8408-EECDF8B205C1.jpeg
    FDD391E6-8FB8-4D80-8408-EECDF8B205C1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • B30D9D1B-657A-4334-954F-3DB7EFDB7F6B.jpeg
    B30D9D1B-657A-4334-954F-3DB7EFDB7F6B.jpeg
    1,016.9 KB · Views: 15
  • A4221E07-A8F0-406B-A054-E92F9C4DB5E0.jpeg
    A4221E07-A8F0-406B-A054-E92F9C4DB5E0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • B92103E9-1BB1-4527-A1A5-F90049114809.jpeg
    B92103E9-1BB1-4527-A1A5-F90049114809.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 83E95C82-362D-4474-A724-92CCDD02B179.jpeg
    83E95C82-362D-4474-A724-92CCDD02B179.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14

BBTown Bomber

In Memoriam 1952-2023
tPB OG

great thread btw.
God, I wish 68 really was “middle age”…….😎

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds