Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Outdoors thread (4 Viewers)

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Thunderheads or Montecs. Had some bad experiences with mechanical, so strictly fixed now. How about you?
I’d take a hard look at slick tricks. They’re just mean! I’ve made a few sub par shots and they just tear shit up. Have had opposite experience with the montec. If dead set on G5 try the striker instead.

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I hunt in IL. He willing to travel?
He might but if that happens in Illinois you’d be best get someone closer. There’s a whole clan of guys that belong to these blood hound or deer tracking associations. I’m sure some very close to you.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
I’d take a hard look at slick tricks. They’re just mean! I’ve made a few sub par shots and they just tear shit up. Have had opposite experience with the montec. If dead set on G5 try the striker instead.
I actually have some Slick Tricks that I may give a try. I just haven’t opened them since I’ve not had any issues with either of the 2 I mentioned

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
He might but if that happens in Illinois you’d be best get someone closer. There’s a whole clan of guys that belong to these blood hound or deer tracking associations. I’m sure some very close to you.
Yea, there are a couple guys close, but after the blood went cold and we searched til 10, and then all day the following day, I assumed it was a shoulder because it was a tight shot. Won’t make that mistake again though. Shoulda trusted my original thoughts that he was dead somewhere relatively close.

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Yea, there are a couple guys close, but after the blood went cold and we searched til 10, and then all day the following day, I assumed it was a shoulder because it was a tight shot. Won’t make that mistake again though. Shoulda trusted my original thoughts that he was dead somewhere relatively close.
One thing I have learned from him is that if there is any doubt at all do not look around for the deer as you’ll mess up the track for the dog. I know this is hard to do as we all want to follow that blood or find him ourselves but it’s crucial. This is what he’s told me.

hothouse_corn

Wide Receiver
Just sickening… finally found a deer I shot on Nov. 6. Lost the blood through thick brush, and searched for 2 days, but then assumed I must’ve hit his shoulder. I’d be less upset about it if I hadn’t shot another buck 3 days later. Really need to get a tracking dog.
View attachment 21240View attachment 21241

I had a similar thing happen over ten years ago. I shot at a buck just after legal shooting time on opening morning of rifle season because I thought it was the biggest I might ever tag.

We followed blood trails for hours, mostly to the east of where he was when I took the shot. The blood trail disappeared.

In the spring, we found a mostly intact skeleton and rack about 200 yards west of where he was when I shot. Finding that made me sad in multiple ways.

The deer I ultimately tagged that year is the biggest I've ever taken, but was shit compared to the one we couldn't find. If the one I tagged that year got another year to grow, he could've been massive.

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I had a similar thing happen over ten years ago. I shot at a buck just after legal shooting time on opening morning of rifle season because I thought it was the biggest I might ever tag.

We followed blood trails for hours, mostly to the east of where he was when I took the shot. The blood trail disappeared.

In the spring, we found a mostly intact skeleton and rack about 200 yards west of where he was when I shot. Finding that made me sad in multiple ways.

The deer I ultimately tagged that year is the biggest I've ever taken, but was shit compared to the one we couldn't find. If the one I tagged that year got another year to grow, he could've been massive.
Pics or it didn’t happen! Mostly I just want to see big deer pics

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
1E7E7A95-8DDE-4383-8C65-EAB167692CB3.jpeg1622B53D-1517-465C-B06C-11454C8B765C.jpeg896C7388-083D-4831-8967-E0A0B2BB2C3E.jpeg
For your indulgence. These were 3 others on the shooter list last year. All 3 seem to have made it through.
CCCAE587-112A-4574-9A01-4443F1D01A58.jpeg
Unfortunately didn’t get any pics of this guy later into the year. This was mid-June, I believe.

hothouse_corn

Wide Receiver

He wasn't huge, just bigger than I'd tagged previously or since.

Skull and rack are hanging on a tree by our campsite, but honestly I don't know which one it is on that tree.

This is the one that I took later that season that is my current best-to-be-tagged:

tile mount deer rack.jpg

18.5" max outside spread.

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
He wasn't huge, just bigger than I'd tagged previously or since.

Skull and rack are hanging on a tree by our campsite, but honestly I don't know which one it is on that tree.

This is the one that I took later that season that is my current best-to-be-tagged:

View attachment 21254

18.5" max outside spread.
He’s got a wide frame! Nice buck

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
Just sickening… finally found a deer I shot on Nov. 6. Lost the blood through thick brush, and searched for 2 days, but then assumed I must’ve hit his shoulder. I’d be less upset about it if I hadn’t shot another buck 3 days later. Really need to get a tracking dog.
View attachment 21240View attachment 21241

Are you close to Lincoln? My dog will be ready to track next fall

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
You’ve got some studs there! Next year is looking good!
Pretty lucky to be in a timber tract surrounded by beans and corn every year. We’ve got some food plots, and created some good bedding/cover. Still working on getting a little better access, but it’s coming along.
272BB208-E53F-4AD7-8997-5AB84E76E13F.jpeg
This was the 170” 8. 24 1/2” spread, 14” G2s. Died in battle with a 15pt. Was another sad day finding those two locked up.

Huskerbuck85

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Pretty lucky to be in a timber tract surrounded by beans and corn every year. We’ve got some food plots, and created some good bedding/cover. Still working on getting a little better access, but it’s coming along.
View attachment 21263
This was the 170” 8. 24 1/2” spread, 14” G2s. Died in battle with a 15pt. Was another sad day finding those two locked up.
That is a huge 8! Can’t imagine the pain when you found them locked. Thankfully it was you that found them. Access is a huge factor. We’re always working on developing as well. Last year I screened all our roadsides in Giant Miscanthus (10,000 rhizomes) and planted 15 acres of switchgrass. This year, doing a burn, redeveloping plots, adding more switch and Miscanthus along with some tsi to encourage more bedding on us.
Always an evolving process

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds