Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Outdoors thread (6 Viewers)

Husker_in_OK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
When did you graduate and did you play golf?

I went to Falls City so thankfully by the time I was in high school 05-09 the only sport we still played Beatrice in was golf.

Cuz I think you guys had more guys on just the varsity football team than we had guys in the entire school. It would have been a murder.

Graduated in 91, Ran track in the spring, but in hindsight should have played Golf. A little fun fact about how bad Beatrice football was back then , from my soph to senior year (89 through '91), we were 0-27 and made the USA Today with our losing streak.

I always got the impression that Falls City HS could have had much better athletics, had it not been for Sacred Heart. Did they pretty much steal the best talent in that area? They always had solid teams. Had a good friend who coached Pawnee City basketball around that time who basically told me that.

Last edited:

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
In for the big racks……screw the other two.

Screw selling cattle high?

@Woodrow F Call @scotchfrost9697 @rr55 @Krup21

mag7coburnmcqueen.gif

BushAK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
How's the basketball team? Going to win state?
God no...up until about two weeks ago I wasn't even going to coach at all. The new school I moved to has never won more than 8 games in a season. Last year they won 3. 2 came against much smaller schools and the third win was at their regional tournament against a team that was short 4 kids due to covid.

The coach last year was a parent who helped out with jv for a few years. I had a 15-20 minute meeting with him and his wife, who coaches the girl's varsity team (terribly), where he told me he just wanted to coach JV this year. Basically he was overwhelmed with work and he had a lot of issues with parents last year. Fast forward two months and the football team wins state. All of a sudden this parent decides he wants to coach varsity again. His wife, who is a bitch, angrily tells me he's the varsity coach right before my junior high practice. She's been a cancer this entire fall. Her daughter is a senior (they have twin seniors) so I think she will step down after this year anyways. She accuses me of lying about what her husband said about coaching although their own kids back up my version of events. It got kind of ugly for a bit. My athletic director caves and lets him back in the role so I backed out completely because I've been wanting to take up ice fishing anyways. So this fall I've been coaching the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade basketball teams by myself. Two weeks ago he resigned completely because he couldn't find an assistant coach that would be willing to do all the work while he got to rant like a moron at officials each game (He got 4 technicals last year).

So now I'm also the varsity coach with about 8k short in fundraising. The team has some legit length and good athletes but they've been coached terribly their entire high school career. Frankly I think .500 would be a hell of a good year but some of the parents, led by the last coach, have somehow convinced themselves they will win state in basketball because they won state football. Football, in their classification, is terrible as they won most games by 40 points.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
God no...up until about two weeks ago I wasn't even going to coach at all. The new school I moved to has never won more than 8 games in a season. Last year they won 3. 2 came against much smaller schools and the third win was at their regional tournament against a team that was short 4 kids due to covid.

The coach last year was a parent who helped out with jv for a few years. I had a 15-20 minute meeting with him and his wife, who coaches the girl's varsity team (terribly), where he told me he just wanted to coach JV this year. Basically he was overwhelmed with work and he had a lot of issues with parents last year. Fast forward two months and the football team wins state. All of a sudden this parent decides he wants to coach varsity again. His wife, who is a bitch, angrily tells me he's the varsity coach right before my junior high practice. She's been a cancer this entire fall. Her daughter is a senior (they have twin seniors) so I think she will step down after this year anyways. She accuses me of lying about what her husband said about coaching although their own kids back up my version of events. It got kind of ugly for a bit. My athletic director caves and lets him back in the role so I backed out completely because I've been wanting to take up ice fishing anyways. So this fall I've been coaching the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade basketball teams by myself. Two weeks ago he resigned completely because he couldn't find an assistant coach that would be willing to do all the work while he got to rant like a moron at officials each game (He got 4 technicals last year).

So now I'm also the varsity coach with about 8k short in fundraising. The team has some legit length and good athletes but they've been coached terribly their entire high school career. Frankly I think .500 would be a hell of a good year but some of the parents, led by the last coach, have somehow convinced themselves they will win state in basketball because they won state football. Football, in their classification, is terrible as they won most games by 40 points.
Well that's a hell of a lot of drama. Maybe the parents will see that their kids are getting better coaching and be appreciative. Even if their record isn't indicative of their preseason unreasonable ecpectations. If there's one thing that's true about high school athletes parents it's that they set reasonable expectations and are really appreciative of the efforts from the coaches.

Daddy

Running Back
Elite Member

Woof...

BushAK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
Well that's a hell of a lot of drama. Maybe the parents will see that their kids are getting better coaching and be appreciative. Even if their record isn't indicative of their preseason unreasonable ecpectations. If there's one thing that's true about high school athletes parents it's that they set reasonable expectations and are really appreciative of the efforts from the coaches.
Yeah I think I have a pretty good idea why they've been terrible. The school has only been around for 7 years but they've basically had different coaches each year. It's open enrollment until high school so any kid worth a damn commutes to Wasilla. It's probably a 3 year rebuild because you have to not only train the kids but also the adults. For example, they have been hosting open gyms all fall. ASAA allows coaches 6 hours of instructional time each week. You'd be surprised at how much pushback I got from some kids and parents when I made them do 30 minutes of shooting drills before they got to play for an hour.

This is kind of funny but it illustrates the mindset around here. The girl's coach came and told me that some kids complained about the drills. She told me doing drills like that is part of "pre-season" and not open gym. I told her that it's batshit crazy to wait until 2 weeks before the season to finally use the 6 hours of instructional time. Furthermore I told her the only role with the boys program is that of a parent. If she says kids were complaining then I will assume she is referring to her son, who is a senior and wants to play college basketball. When a coach calls and asks me about him then I'll tell coaches about my first impression. Basically tried to get her to understand that if the policy doesn't violate school or state rules then I don't give a shit about her opinion. That conversation was about as successful as Nebraska football.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds