Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Official DONU Baseball Off Season Thread (4 Viewers)

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
Not yet, we're in on a portal SS that SH's and will be the day 1 starter while hitting in the top 2 spots.
Matthew Mcconaughey GIF

Alum-Ni

Quarterback
Stats Guy
My info is directly from Hughes, who I talk to quite often about Nebraska kids, well before Kniefl knew about it. He didn't progress as they hoped. Their loss, our possible gain.

They absolutely can, see Max Anderson June 2020 with Texas A&M. If you think that's only because of Covid, then Google Ryan Sleeper and how we pulled his offer after he signed his NLI. It happens all over the country....

Meanwhile, Kneifl found himself on the other end of the equation. He received a call from Kansas State a week prior to move in informing him the Wildcats no longer had a roster spot available. Kneifl would have to head elsewhere.

“It was a gut-punch to me and my family because we were getting ourselves ready,” Kneifl said.
In Kneifl's case......a number of seniors that were expected to move on at KSU decided to stay one more year, so there was no longer a roster spot available for Kneifl (or money). So he opened his options back up.

PonyBoy

Cornerback
Insider
In Kneifl's case......a number of seniors that were expected to move on at KSU decided to stay one more year, so there was no longer a roster spot available for Kneifl (or money). So he opened his options back up.

That's his story, not the accurate one.

skerfan

Cornerback
Elite Member
I heard the coach that recruited him got canned and he no longer had a spot at KSU, so the info might just check out ...

My info is directly from Hughes, who I talk to quite often about Nebraska kids, well before Kniefl knew about it. He didn't progress as they hoped. Their loss, our possible gain.

They absolutely can, see Max Anderson June 2020 with Texas A&M. If you think that's only because of Covid, then Google Ryan Sleeper and how we pulled his offer after he signed his NLI. It happens all over the country....

Meanwhile, Kneifl found himself on the other end of the equation. He received a call from Kansas State a week prior to move in informing him the Wildcats no longer had a roster spot available. Kneifl would have to head elsewhere.

“It was a gut-punch to me and my family because we were getting ourselves ready,” Kneifl said.
That's his story, not the accurate one.
You only have one side of the story also, the shady one as told by the guy responsible. Facts are until about June 1st, one week before he moved to Manhatten his plans for his future were to go play at KSU and they had been that since he was 15 years old. After all that time the head coach at KSU decided to break that contract, or make it less than a pleasurable experience if he held them to it. You cant just take away money offered and signed for on a NLI, you just tell the kid that it wont be a great situation for him if he comes so that it is in his best interest to go elsewhere. Either way it is a shitty way to do business and the guy who you got the story from was in the wrong.

PonyBoy

Cornerback
Insider
You only have one side of the story also, the shady one as told by the guy responsible. Facts are until about June 1st, one week before he moved to Manhatten his plans for his future were to go play at KSU and they had been that since he was 15 years old. After all that time the head coach at KSU decided to break that contract, or make it less than a pleasurable experience if he held them to it. You cant just take away money offered and signed for on a NLI, you just tell the kid that it wont be a great situation for him if he comes so that it is in his best interest to go elsewhere. Either way it is a shitty way to do business and the guy who you got the story from was in the wrong.

I have the only side that matters, the truth. It's their offer, it's their job on the line and they made a decision that they feel is best for their program. You can take it away, it happens everywhere in college athletics, including baseball. The best do it, the worst do it and the average does it.

In the end, it doesn't matter. He claims to be a lifelong Husker fan. Now, he's a Husker. And will be coached by Rob Childress. That's a fucking win for him. And anybody crying or complaining about Hughes at Kansas State can continue sucking on their thumb.

Nebraska > Kansas State.

Rob Childress > KSU's entire staff x2.

Toughen up buttercup, there's a big opportunity in Lincoln for BK.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Is it really that far of an intellectual leap to come to the conclusion that KState didn’t think he was what they were looking for anymore so they cut him loose?

They might have decided to do it too late. But colleges don’t just cut kids they really want on their team.

skerfan

Cornerback
Elite Member
Is it really that far of an intellectual leap to come to the conclusion that KState didn’t think he was what they were looking for anymore so they cut him loose?

They might have decided to do it too late. But colleges don’t just cut kids they really want on their team.
It’s not a leap. The manner in which it was done matters. For those of you that think it doesn’t I worry about every young kid that is influenced by you.

PonyBoy

Cornerback
Insider

Yep...and I trust it.

One small problem, he then claims in another article he had a roster spot.

Even though there would still be a spot on the team since he signed his national letter of intent, Kneifl decided to seek out another team.

Ridiculous hill for some to die on.

Last edited:

PonyBoy

Cornerback
Insider

It's exactly what happened. Going in to the summer of his sophomore year of high school, he was 88-91. Legit velo, legit secondary and command and (potential) legit national prospect. It was a big loss for Nebraska, in the eyes of many, when he committed to Kansas State. This spring, he was 82-84, maybe hit 85 a handful of times. I was at 2 of his games this spring, including state where he got peppered in game 1, and saw it with my own eyes. I didn't hear from anybody that Brooks was upper 80's at all this spring.

Brooks should've never quit playing summer ball at a high level, whether that was for the Nebraska Prospects or someone else not named Wayne Legion. Once he committed to Kansas State, he went backwards. Kansas State stayed in contact with him advising him he needs to pitch against higher competition and he chose not to. After all reports and follow-ups were finalized, they pulled his opportunity to play at Kansas State.

Kansas State is still active in the portal, with scholarship money. But they don't have any for Brooks because of too many guys returning? Pure non-sense.

If, and I stress if, Brooks is able to gain back what he had a couple years ago - he's going to be really freaking good for Nebraska. It's on him, and nobody else, to dedicate himself and stick it up Hughes' ass.

Like I initially said, what is KState's loss could be Nebraska's gain.

clifscales

Defensive Lineman
It's exactly what happened. Going in to the summer of his sophomore year of high school, he was 88-91. Legit velo, legit secondary and command and (potential) legit national prospect. It was a big loss for Nebraska, in the eyes of many, when he committed to Kansas State. This spring, he was 82-84, maybe hit 85 a handful of times. I was at 2 of his games this spring, including state where he got peppered in game 1, and saw it with my own eyes. I didn't hear from anybody that Brooks was upper 80's at all this spring.

Brooks should've never quit playing summer ball at a high level, whether that was for the Nebraska Prospects or someone else not named Wayne Legion. Once he committed to Kansas State, he went backwards. Kansas State stayed in contact with him advising him he needs to pitch against higher competition and he chose not to. After all reports and follow-ups were finalized, they pulled his opportunity to play at Kansas State.

Kansas State is still active in the portal, with scholarship money. But they don't have any for Brooks because of too many guys returning? Pure non-sense.

If, and I stress if, Brooks is able to gain back what he had a couple years ago - he's going to be really freaking good for Nebraska. It's on him, and nobody else, to dedicate himself and stick it up Hughes' ass.

Heard the same info. about the velo from a legion coach

skerfan

Cornerback
Elite Member
I

There is a lot of truth there but some isn’t accurate. He did play high end travel ball last summer, this is the only year he played legion and that was because he was going to play last few games with his boys before reporting to Manhattan in June.

I can also tell you that any velo he lost was not due to not working. That kid busts his ass in the off-season and I have first hand knowledge of that. Now lost velo is lost velo, doesn’t really matter why but I am saying it isn’t because he stopped working. As you probably know he does throw from an arm slot that 86-88 plays well.

The main point is that I don’t like how k state handled it. If he got in trouble, barely passed or ballooned way out of shape that is one thing, but if he was good enough to put a signature on paper in November then the adult should honor his promise and give him one year of real effort and coaching.

PonyBoy

Cornerback
Insider
He did play high end travel ball last summer, this is the only year he played legion

The main point is that I don’t like how k state handled it. If he got in trouble, barely passed or ballooned way out of shape that is one thing, but if he was good enough to put a signature on paper in November then the adult should honor his promise and give him one year of real effort and coaching.

That's right, team Ohio in 2022. Good catch.

You have every right to that opinion. It's common from coaches all over the country, whether you, I or anyone else likes it or not. We do it, Pickle Smoochers does it, Omaha has done it (rare but it has happened) along with everyone else in college athletics.

You saying I had "bad info" is wrong, after posting this...

It's not a flip, KSU pulled his offer weeks ago. He's a walk-on at NU. And I don't say that to diminish the kid, he's got the frame Rob can work with.

KSU pulled his offer (scholarship) - fact.
He's walking on at Nebraska - fact.

There is no bad info. I laid out what happened, and why it happened. It's not my opinion, I have nothing against him hence why I've stated he's got the frame Rob can work with and it could be our gain. No, I don't think his arm slot will play enough with 86-88 velocity and his current secondary stuff. He projects though, and that's what matters most.

There shouldn't be a single Husker fan upset that BK will be in Lincoln with a chance to play for NU. But here we are, being called a liar and arguing over shit that doesn't matter.

Last edited:

skerfan

Cornerback
Elite Member
That's right, team Ohio in 2022. Good catch.

You have every right to that opinion. It's common from coaches all over the country, whether you, I or anyone else likes it or not. We do it, Pickle Smoochers does it, Omaha has done it (rare but it has happened) along with everyone else in college athletics.

You saying I had "bad info" is wrong, after posting this...

It's not a flip, KSU pulled his offer weeks ago. He's a walk-on at NU. And I don't say that to diminish the kid, he's got the frame Rob can work with.

KSU pulled his offer (scholarship) - fact.
He's walking on at Nebraska - fact.

There is no bad info. I laid out what happened, and why it happened. It's not my opinion, I have nothing against him hence why I've stated he's got the frame Rob can work with and it could be our gain. No, I don't think his arm slot will play enough with 86-88 velocity and his current secondary stuff. He projects though, and that's what matters most.

There shouldn't be a single Husker fan upset that BK will be in Lincoln with a chance to play for NU. But here we are, being called a liar and arguing over shit that doesn't matter.
I am under the impression that he is not a walk on at nebraska. I could be wrong but he was not treated as one the last 2 weeks. Also KSU didn’t pull an offer, they pulled a signed contract. Big difference in my opinion.

Lastly, I am excited he is a Husker. Can’t wait to watch him.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds