Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Nuggets from a poster who was with a Nebraska offensive coach (1 Viewer)

1HuskerDad

Defensive Coordinator
For all the naysayers on Sims, Thompson was there for every practice and scrimmage in the spring. If he thought Sims wasn’t as good or better than him, I have a feeling he would have stayed. His mobility will help our o-line be that much better.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
For all the naysayers on Sims, Thompson was there for every practice and scrimmage in the spring. If he thought Sims wasn’t as good or better than him, I have a feeling he would have stayed. His mobility will help our o-line be that much better.
Just from listening to Damon, Thompson sounded like a guy who needed to have control behind his situation. There is a reason he ended up where he did.

Long story short, I don't think Sims is an upgrade because of that.

Everybody who I have talked to said that Sims has a much higher upside. I think the key behind it is, developing an offense that doesn't require him to be super man like we did with Martinez. To me Sims seems very similar to Martinez.

Lionsfan93

Running Back
Recruiting Analyst
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
When he says he was with an "offensive coach," are we talking one of Satterfield, Raiola, Barthel, McGuire or Wager? Or was this like an assistant? If this was one of the "big dog" coaches, I wouldn't be surprised if this was McGuire. I could see him being hardest on his own position group and high on everyone else.

GripIt-N-RipIt

Bench Warmer
When he says he was with an "offensive coach," are we talking one of Satterfield, Raiola, Barthel, McGuire or Wager? Or was this like an assistant? If this was one of the "big dog" coaches, I wouldn't be surprised if this was McGuire. I could see him being hardest on his own position group and high on everyone else.
There was a big 3 day golf tournament at Firethorn this last weekend and Satterfield played in it so I’m guessing it’s him. I talked to Satterfield for a short time on Friday night but I was too hammered to recall much anything. Sorry to let everyone down. The only thing I do remember is telling him to run the damn ball @God is a Husker

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
WR is the weakest group on paper BY FAR.

12 WRs, 7 are freshmen. Only two of the remaining five played entire seasons last year (Washington and Kemp) Betts was gone all year because he quit, ICG and Fleeks both redshirted in September to save their final years for a transfer school. We could be very good, but on paper it looks weak.

huskersoup

Linebacker
Elite Member
Probably a GA like Mike Williams or something

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
QBs in the Big 10 you would take over Simms:
  • McCord
  • Allar
  • J.J. McCarthy
  • Tagavoila
Then you basically have a jumbled mess of transfer QBs we don't know about. McNamara, Card, Sims, Mordecai

McNamara plays for an offense thats not good. Card we don't really know (I also think Graham Harrell isn't a proven commodity at OC), Mordecai lit up group of 5 defenses last year but really enjoyed throwing the ball to the other team vs Power 5 schools (including their spring game), Simms wasn't healthy last year (and I also don't know about his OC)

It's not outrageous to put him in the top half but if his receivers are bottom half then I don't see Simms playing like a top half QB in 2023.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Man he looked good last year in limited time, but I think expectations on Penn State are a year early. Maybe I need to dive into them more.

It's not outrageous to put him in the top half but if his receivers are bottom half then I don't see Simms playing like a top half QB in 2023.
Yeah top half isn't that hard to do. There really isn't much of a difference between that middle 1/3rd IYAM. Now some of that top 1/3rd group can really separate themselves.

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG

12 WRs, 7 are freshmen. Only two of the remaining five played entire seasons last year (Washington and Kemp) Betts was gone all year because he quit, ICG and Fleeks both redshirted in September to save their final years for a transfer school. We could be very good, but on paper it looks weak.
I don’t expect much from the experienced players. We’re 1-2 years away from solid depth imo.

Last edited:

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG

Yeah you really need Washington and Kemp to be reliable for you.... Then you need somebody to emerge. Which seems like they will have options, but tough to love the group when you have to make as many positive assumptions as you do. They will have options there though.

Betts is probably the guy, but we will see what happens when the grind happens.

If Betts and Fidone become what they can be they will be problems for offenses.

Lionsfan93

Running Back
Recruiting Analyst
Nebrasketball
tPB OG

How much depth/production should we be returning every year? We have 3 WRs that have taken meaningful, productive snaps for us - Washington, ICG and Betts. Then we have a high-production transfer in Kemp. Sure, we are on the less experienced side of things, but I guess I don't see it like everyone else. But I also probably put more stock in Betts returning than most do because, from what I hear, he is completely bought in and has a different level of maturity than he did before. Also hearing that he is likely #1 on the depth chart currently too.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
How much depth/production should we be returning every year? We have 3 WRs that have taken meaningful, productive snaps for us - Washington, ICG and Betts. Then we have a high-production transfer in Kemp. Sure, we are on the less experienced side of things, but I guess I don't see it like everyone else. But I also probably put more stock in Betts returning than most do because, from what I hear, he is completely bought in and has a different level of maturity than he did before. Also hearing that he is likely #1 on the depth chart currently too.
I said on paper. I agree we have potential.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
I will say if Betts maximizes, he is probably has the highest ceiling of anybody on the team. People forget he was a top 1% athlete coming out of HS.

The fact Betts did 21 credit hours this last semester and did really well should be a very positive sign there.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Man he looked good last year in limited time, but I think expectations on Penn State are a year early. Maybe I need to dive into them more.

Yeah top half isn't that hard to do. There really isn't much of a difference between that middle 1/3rd IYAM. Now some of that top 1/3rd group can really separate themselves.
I think if they are going to split with Michigan/Ohio St or possibly win both than this is the year. They are loaded up front, great backfield, good receivers, top notch defense.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds