Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

NIL - Something I haven't seen discussed. (1 Viewer)

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
Something I haven't seen discussed is the pressure this now puts on the high school coaches and administrators. Most are already the gatekeepers of a sort to the college world. Now are they financial agents too? Is that expected of them now? (will they be looking for kickbacks from the college/the kid/both?)

Some parents of high school athletes are already nuts as is .....but now you put the potential of 100s of thousands of dollars in earnings in front of them and they are gonna ratchet up the crazy to 11.

Example A: I went to school with a kid who pretty much sucked at his sport but got minutes because his dad would demand a pow wow with the head coach after each game to discuss his playing time. As soon as the final whistle blew this guy was on him. This dad couldn't see that his son wasn't even close to the level as the rest of the team. I can't imagine what this father would have been like had he thought his son was just a mere months away from being offered an NIL package that would change their lives.

Example B: How far away are we from some parent suing a high school for cancelling a tournament, suspending a student that causes him to miss a game or simply not throwing the ball enough so their son couldn't showcase his talent? Think it's far fetched? We had parents lined up to sue the Big 10 for delaying games because of a pandemic.

Scholarships were already a huge bonus to parents in that it reduced expenses and provided opportunities. But what happens when parents start chasing the big money that is now being thrown around? You know and I know that there will be plenty that take it waaaaay too far.

I haven't put all of my thoughts together on this yet, but this should get the discussion started. What do you think?

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
This example isn't great but the concept is relevant. My wife is a teacher and simply put they're really not allowed to say like "come back" at someone for saying something to them, they're supposed to keep shit pretty PC. I think you're correct with high school administrators in what shitty parents will be allowed to get away with. What I think it will take in my opinion is a strong willed AD or principal to simply call a meeting with parents or have a one on one with a shitty parent and have the balls to tell them to shut up and that their kid simply isn't very good and that no matter how much bitching and moaning the parent does, that won't make colleges offer a large stack of cash to a non talented player. Probably won't happen but I think that's what it would take to stop any sort of parenting madness.

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
Recruits are now allowed to have NCAA registered agents to represent them. The NIL stuff is the Wild West right now, I’m looking forward to the first round of players getting in trouble with the IRS for underreporting income. I bet there will be tons of malpractice suits vs their agents and/or CPA or school officials. (even if it was 100% on the stupid ass kid)

Now as to your scenario of:
from some parent suing a high school for cancelling a tournament, suspending a student that causes him to miss a game or simply not throwing the ball enough so their son couldn't showcase his talent?

The school does not owe any duty to the child or parent, furthermore causation and damages would be impossible to prove.

If this happened the School District would contact their law firm and would be told not to respond to any verbal threats by the Parents and let them file a claim.

Defense would respond with a 12(b)(6) motion and get that shit claim dismissed. Depending on the situation Defense might also ask for fees/costs assessed for filing a frivolous claim.

Last edited:

turek420845

Reaction Whore
Elite Member
Recruits are now allowed to have NCAA registered agents to represent them. The NIL stuff is the Wild West right now, I’m looking forward to the first round of players getting in trouble with the IRS for underreporting income. I bet there will be tons of malpractice suits vs their agents and/or CPA or school officials. (even if it was 100% on the stupid ass kid)

The school does not owe any duty to the child or parent, furthermore causation and damages would be impossible to prove.

If this happened the School District would contact their law firm and would be told not to respond to any verbal threats by the Parents and let them file a claim.

Defense would respond with a 12(b)(6) motion and get that shit claim dismissed. Depending on the situation Defense might also ask for fees/costs assessed for filing a frivolous claim.
Well thought out response with very educated reply skills.

1651848605277.png

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
Anymore there are very few boundaries, if any, that some parents won't cross. There are bad actors in the coaching ranks as well...AND there are a lot of ridiculous parents out there whose expectations don't even align with their kids desires.

So, yeah, I think anything is possible.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Anymore there are very few boundaries, if any, that some parents won't cross. There are bad actors in the coaching ranks as well...AND there are a lot of ridiculous parents out there whose expectations don't even align with their kids desires.

Parents ruin everything. They’re especially the worst when you coach girls. As my friend Brad Silvey said once upon a time “It comes down to their child simply not being good enough and they’re upset at that reality and it’s gotta be someone else’s fault.”

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Meh, I will let the free market sort it out
randy marsh preaching GIF by South Park

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
Parents ruin everything. They’re especially the worst when you coach girls. As my friend Brad Silvey said once upon a time “It comes down to their child simply not being good enough and they’re upset at that reality and it’s gotta be someone else’s fault.”
That quote is incredibly spot on. AND in many cases the kids know it, are ok with it, and just want to participate on a team where they can just play and have fun.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG

I have friends who have kids playing college ball on 2 Power5 teams. Neither program educated their players on the Tax Ramifications of NIL when NIL first came out. Maybe they have changed. My one buddy laughed as his kid only made like $50/month off of NIL so he wasn't overly worried about the total taxes due.

turek420845

Reaction Whore
Elite Member

download.jpeg-16.jpg

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
Something I haven't seen discussed is the pressure this now puts on the high school coaches and administrators. Most are already the gatekeepers of a sort to the college world. Now are they financial agents too? Is that expected of them now? (will they be looking for kickbacks from the college/the kid/both?)

Some parents of high school athletes are already nuts as is .....but now you put the potential of 100s of thousands of dollars in earnings in front of them and they are gonna ratchet up the crazy to 11.

Example A: I went to school with a kid who pretty much sucked at his sport but got minutes because his dad would demand a pow wow with the head coach after each game to discuss his playing time. As soon as the final whistle blew this guy was on him. This dad couldn't see that his son wasn't even close to the level as the rest of the team. I can't imagine what this father would have been like had he thought his son was just a mere months away from being offered an NIL package that would change their lives.

Example B: How far away are we from some parent suing a high school for cancelling a tournament, suspending a student that causes him to miss a game or simply not throwing the ball enough so their son couldn't showcase his talent? Think it's far fetched? We had parents lined up to sue the Big 10 for delaying games because of a pandemic.

Scholarships were already a huge bonus to parents in that it reduced expenses and provided opportunities. But what happens when parents start chasing the big money that is now being thrown around? You know and I know that there will be plenty that take it waaaaay too far.

I haven't put all of my thoughts together on this yet, but this should get the discussion started. What do you think?
Idk, we don't see colleges getting sued when a player doesn't make it to the NFL.

Steveweiser316

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member

Is this you saying you’re about to become an Agent?

betsch

Safety
That quote is incredibly spot on. AND in many cases the kids know it, are ok with it, and just want to participate on a team where they can just play and have fun.
This is the spot I am in right now. I just want my girls to have fun and get some playing time. My wife is a different story though. We have a couple of girls who are great athletes in our daughter's class. One of them is a once in a decade type athlete that was better than almost all of the high schoolers when she was in 7th and 8th grade. My wife gets so pissed off because the coach invites these two girls to high school practices and workouts and not everyone else. While I kind of get her point that it isn't "fair", if I was the coach I would do the exact same thing. We don't get athletes like these all the time and you have to maximize what you can get out of them in those 4 years of high school. I look at it as they are going to make our school look better, and heck, maybe it will help our daughter reach state in the next few years, but wifey wants her at all the same practices like it is some sort of competition.

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
This is the spot I am in right now. I just want my girls to have fun and get some playing time. My wife is a different story though. We have a couple of girls who are great athletes in our daughter's class. One of them is a once in a decade type athlete that was better than almost all of the high schoolers when she was in 7th and 8th grade. My wife gets so pissed off because the coach invites these two girls to high school practices and workouts and not everyone else. While I kind of get her point that it isn't "fair", if I was the coach I would do the exact same thing. We don't get athletes like these all the time and you have to maximize what you can get out of them in those 4 years of high school. I look at it as they are going to make our school look better, and heck, maybe it will help our daughter reach state in the next few years, but wifey wants her at all the same practices like it is some sort of competition.
Yeah, you are in a bit of a tough spot with the better half. Sounds like you personally are thinking about it the right way.

As a coach, I can tell you couple things. First, there is a huge difference between 7th/8th grade kids and 11th/12th grade kids…both physically and especially, mentally.

Even for the once in a decade athlete, having her at high school sessions is risky. On one hand, it gives her an opportunity to compete at a similar or higher level. That can be productive. On the mental side, it can also put a TON of stress on her in a variety of ways. Pressure from her friends, pressure from the older girls, pressure from coaches and parents. That’s a lot and something that should be measured carefully. Burn out in youth sports is very real.

In regards to your girls…if they aren’t at that level and are at the level of their current age group, it’s incredibly more productive to have them train in their age group. Throw them to the wolves at the higher level and you run a tremendous risk of them pushing back from the game. Overwhelming them with something they aren’t ready for IS a sure fire way to put them on the wrong course. AND while I don’t know what level your girls are at, they will see a ton of body changes (I have 3 girls) over the next few years and you certainly don’t want to measure them against this other girl or high school girls…as it sounds like you get.

While 2 of my kids high school days are over, believe me as a father and coach. Do all you can to not get caught up in comparisons and pushing them into places they aren’t ready for, whether mentally or physically.

Our self worth should never come from how good our kids are and care needs to be take not to get to that place.

Let their activities be their activities. Show them the different paths available (extra training opportunities, different club levels,etc.), give them good healthy counsel and let them choose. Go that route and they (and you) will have a great experience.

If they don’t own it…parents will regret it.

I’ve been fortunate to be both a coach and parent. I’ve coached my kids and I’ve not coached them. I’ve learned from both coaching education and from just stubbing my toes comparing and pushing too hard.

Good luck brother, hope you guys can work together to go the right way…bottom line, don’t get caught up in comparisons and let the game be theirs. We’ve had our time.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yeah, you are in a bit of a tough spot with the better half. Sounds like you personally are thinking about it the right way.

As a coach, I can tell you couple things. First, there is a huge difference between 7th/8th grade kids and 11th/12th grade kids…both physically and especially, mentally.

Even for the once in a decade athlete, having her at high school sessions is risky. On one hand, it gives her an opportunity to compete at a similar or higher level. That can be productive. On the mental side, it can also put a TON of stress on her in a variety of ways. Pressure from her friends, pressure from the older girls, pressure from coaches and parents. That’s a lot and something that should be measured carefully. Burn out in youth sports is very real.

In regards to your girls…if they aren’t at that level and are at the level of their current age group, it’s incredibly more productive to have them train in their age group. Throw them to the wolves at the higher level and you run a tremendous risk of them pushing back from the game. Overwhelming them with something they aren’t ready for IS a sure fire way to put them on the wrong course. AND while I don’t know what level your girls are at, they will see a ton of body changes (I have 3 girls) over the next few years and you certainly don’t want to measure them against this other girl or high school girls…as it sounds like you get.

While 2 of my kids high school days are over, believe me as a father and coach. Do all you can to not get caught up in comparisons and pushing them into places they aren’t ready for, whether mentally or physically.

Our self worth should never come from how good our kids are and care needs to be take not to get to that place.

Let their activities be their activities. Show them the different paths available (extra training opportunities, different club levels,etc.), give them good healthy counsel and let them choose. Go that route and they (and you) will have a great experience.

If they don’t own it…parents will regret it.

I’ve been fortunate to be both a coach and parent. I’ve coached my kids and I’ve not coached them. I’ve learned from both coaching education and from just stubbing my toes comparing and pushing too hard.

Good luck brother, hope you guys can work together to go the right way…bottom line, don’t get caught up in comparisons and let the game be theirs. We’ve had our time.
If depends on how mature the once in a decade player is. When I was a freshman in high school we had two freshman girls start and a couple more play a lot on a team that one the state championship. They were pretty mature mentally.

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
If depends on how mature the once in a decade player is. When I was a freshman in high school we had two freshman girls start and a couple more play a lot on a team that one the state championship. They were pretty mature mentally.
I agree. They would have pressure from a lot of different angles. Their ability to handle and play at that level. The pressure from their younger friends, pressure from Seniors. If it works, great. I’ve also seen once in a decade athletes in 8th grade play up and wilt.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds