Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Moving to Grass Practice Fields (1 Viewer)

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Yeah yeah, injuries, footwork, blah blah blah it's all great. But most importantly, playing on grass just makes everyone look a million times cooler.

hqdefault.jpg

tennessee-qb-peyton-manning-1998-orange-bowl.jpg

Last edited:

alt f4

Administrator
Admin
Insider

Do we make anything of this? Moving to natural grass on practice fields - eventually see Memorial as a grass field?

This was a rumor early on, but I was told the new practice field and existing indoors will be turf and both existing outdoor fields will be grass.

Not sure how they'd keep up maintenance on the all grass practice fields, just the days they practice on it for MSU, Northwestern, etc they absolutely rip them to shit. Additionally when it's cold, those fields are hard as hell.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Going to a tall fescue at Memorial, gonna cut it once every other week and water it all night before games. They'll be slowing down those Ohio State receivers in no time.

Funny story, knew a coach that ran nothing but double tight wishbone down in Hamilton, TX. They were playing a very fast and very good Cisco, TX team in the playoffs at home. Hamilton runs the sprinklers on the boundaries all night. Basically making you play between the hashes.

Cisco was pissed. Hamilton won.

They all have turf now so not relevant, but funny story from the 90's.

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
This was a rumor early on, but I was told the new practice field and existing indoors will be turf and both existing outdoor fields will be grass.

Not sure how they'd keep up maintenance on the all grass practice fields, just the days they practice on it for MSU, Northwestern, etc they absolutely rip them to shit. Additionally when it's cold, those fields are hard as hell.
Ok, so their will be third practice field now that is turf?

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I stand corrected. Ok, most soccer is played on natural grass, especially European and South American soccer.
You’re correct in non-collegiate and non- women’s soccer. Women’s World Cup was on turf in Canada - they almost rioted haha

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
Going to a tall fescue at Memorial, gonna cut it once every other week and water it all night before games. They'll be slowing down those Ohio State receivers in no time.

Funny story, knew a coach that ran nothing but double tight wishbone down in Hamilton, TX. They were playing a very fast and very good Cisco, TX team in the playoffs at home. Hamilton runs the sprinklers on the boundaries all night. Basically making you play between the hashes.

Cisco was pissed. Hamilton won.

They all have turf now so not relevant, but funny story from the 90's.
We talking a fine fescue? Similar aesthetic to the KBG that everyone loves, but much more tolerant to extreme conditions both hot and cold.

I believe I sodded my lawn with it at .30 per sq ft. Should be able to get a lil better deal for all the turf we are replacing babyBF7DA921-C120-479B-8B32-FB417D0A0AE9.jpeg6533C350-5482-44C0-892C-2DABFEE94973.jpeg!

Snockered69

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member

greybeardedchild

Cornerback
Elite Member
Plant corn in Memorial Stadium you cowards!
Genius. Why wouldn't they plant a real short season corn in the stadium? Don't play there till basically Sept nohow. It would give bill and nancy hayseed something to look at when they go tour the stadium, it would be yuge national media attention, and best of all, government grants to supplement our athletics department.

Jay Bilzerian

Safety
Elite Member
We talking a fine fescue? Similar aesthetic to the KBG that everyone loves, but much more tolerant to extreme conditions both hot and cold.

I believe I sodded my lawn with it at .30 per sq ft. Should be able to get a lil better deal for all the turf we are replacing babyView attachment 22624View attachment 22625!
That’s a fine lookin yard

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I do love a good grass field as compared to turf. Much easier on my lower back and knees when coaching. #old

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
Genius. Why wouldn't they plant a real short season corn in the stadium? Don't play there till basically Sept nohow. It would give bill and nancy hayseed something to look at when they go tour the stadium, it would be yuge national media attention, and best of all, government grants to supplement our athletics department.
Just chop it then, give Cook some silage to feed the livestock with. Love the smell of fresh corn silage.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds