Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

More to Big 12? (1 Viewer)

Irv

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
This really goes to show how quickly things can change. A couple of years ago, the PAC 12 was in a much better position than the Big 12, which no one would have been surprised to see implode.

Then they lost the LA schools. And then Yormark raced to the front of the line and got a tv deal that wasn’t particularly huge (probably in an effort just to keep his conference afloat), but managed to make it more difficult for the PAC to get a deal.

Suddenly the PAC can’t find anybody decent to show their games. They are nearing the end of their current deal so exit fee is approaching zero, making it the easiest it ever will be to leave.

Meanwhile, Big 12 - a conference full of teams nobody else would want - suddenly is in a position of power precisely because none of them are going anywhere and so they represent stability.

Now the B12 seem to have unlocked the log jam and blown the whole realignment world open by wooing another school that nobody else would want.

This is an incredibly strange turn of events.

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter

ORWA may be talking to the Big 12, but I guarantee they're trying to use it as leverage to the Big 10.

Plus, MFarrell has been off on a lot of his evaluations before in just recruiting and I highly doubt any half-intelligent person who would know about the ORWA's next moves would tell that fat fuck anything.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
been a lot of non-Farrell noise around Oregon on the internet today also.

I'm sure they'd take a B1G invite over a Big 12 invite in a heartbeat. I bet the B1G doesn't go after them. This isn't good leverage; the Big 12 full share is only $31.7M per year. Using this as leverage probably hurts any price negotiations with the B1G, and they are probably dilutive to the B1G share anyway.

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG

What a piece of shit football conference, decent basketball conference, but a piece of shit none the less. I don't care if they add both Arizona schools, its still shitty.

tired i feel like shit GIF by Cappa Video Productions

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
been a lot of non-Farrell noise around Oregon on the internet today also.

I'm sure they'd take a B1G invite over a Big 12 invite in a heartbeat. I bet the B1G doesn't go after them. This isn't good leverage; the Big 12 full share is only $31.7M per year. Using this as leverage probably hurts any price negotiations with the B1G, and they are probably dilutive to the B1G share anyway.
The USC and UCLA grab was pretty sudden. If Big 12 takes Arizona along with CU, then I think the B1G takes that as in they didn’t screw over the PAC and then moves on ORWA.

HughJanus

Der Viener Schlinger
Elite Member
I think things are going to get out of hand pretty quickly. I bet someone in the ACC tries to break out. Who are the B1G's priority additions?
1. ND
2. Oregon/Washington
3. UVA/UNC/Stanford
4. FSU? Pitt?

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
The USC and UCLA grab was pretty sudden. If Big 12 takes Arizona along with CU, then I think the B1G takes that as in they didn’t screw over the PAC and then moves on ORWA.
In reality though taking USC and UCLA fucked the PAC. They should have grabbed some middle of the road teams like the Big 12 did to stay above water. Instead they've just been closing their eyes and holding their breath.

CornFed Gregger

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Fox & ESPN propping up the big 12 to be the profitable scrap yard. Lucky for the bottom bitches like Kstate or Cockeye State. The money brands are going into the B1G/SEC & they're cutting the fat off the ACC & PAC12 & stuffing em into the B12

SOHusker11

Cornerback
Elite Member
I think things are going to get out of hand pretty quickly. I bet someone in the ACC tries to break out. Who are the B1G's priority additions?
1. ND
2. Oregon/Washington
3. UVA/UNC/Stanford
4. FSU? Pitt?
Sounds like FSU is actively shopping around.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
What a piece of shit football conference, decent basketball conference, but a piece of shit none the less. I don't care if they add both Arizona schools, its still shitty.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's not a half bad football conference. They just lack in national brands. BYU is really the only national brand they have in FB.

But in pure on field quality: Baylor, TCU, BYU, TTU, UCF, OK St, KSU....all have potential to rise to a 12-team playoff level. UH does as well if we're being honest. And we'll see RE: Cincinnati and WVU.

The CFB brands are god awful. But the actual level of the teams are pretty decent. Their problem right now is that brands rule CFB at the moment.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
FSU definitely wants out but they need 8 schools to get out of the grant of rights. Otherwise it’s a moot point.

Animated GIF
8 schools won't get them out of the grant of rights. They'd need a very, very large check to get out of the grant of rights and even that isn't guaranteed to work

Huskers12392

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
May sound dumb, but I don’t think it’s insignificant. How much does the fact that the big ten already released schedules and have paraded around the “flex protect” model into the the decision to not add Oregon/Washington. I just get this sense that they want to see through 2025 before making any more moves for the shear fact that they don’t want to blow that up.

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's not a half bad football conference. They just lack in national brands. BYU is really the only national brand they have in FB.

But in pure on field quality: Baylor, TCU, BYU, TTU, UCF, OK St, KSU....all have potential to rise to a 12-team playoff level. UH does as well if we're being honest. And we'll see RE: Cincinnati and WVU.

The CFB brands are god awful. But the actual level of the teams are pretty decent. Their problem right now is that brands rule CFB at the moment.
I agree. 5 win Nebraska outdraws 13 win TCU and that matters more to conferences.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
8 schools won't get them out of the grant of rights. They'd need a very, very large check to get out of the grant of rights and even that isn't guaranteed to work
If enough schools have a landing spot they can vote to disband the ACC and the grant of rights is gone

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds