Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

More to Big 12? (1 Viewer)

Husker_in_OK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Is Notre Dame under the same contractual rights as the other ACC members or can they leave whenever they want ? They are only obligated to play 5 ACC teams in football, but a member in Basketball, so I'm not sure how all that works

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Is Notre Dame under the same contractual rights as the other ACC members or can they leave whenever they want ? They are only obligated to play 5 ACC teams in football, but a member in Basketball, so I'm not sure how all that works
Notre Dame owes a fixed buyout, rumored to be as high as $100 million, if they join a conference other than the ACC before their deal with the ACC expires.

In contrast, breaking a Grant of Rights has never been done to my knowledge and is a total mystery box as far as cost goes. Could be smaller than people think, could be more than people think, could mean leaving without your tv rights until it expires

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
The Historic ACC/B1G/P12 Alliance will never not be funny
It is kind of turning into a white knight acquisition...

This semi-merger is logical. Solves a lot of local political issues for Washington and Oregon because they can package themselves with the two States and they have the leverage to get the Big 12 to take them and pay them a full share.

Stanford will never go to the Big 12. That leaves 2 spots for ASU, AZ, Cal and Utah. Cals isn't all that desirable. I would bet on the two Arizona schools and Utah to the Mountain West, but easily could swap AZ and the Utes.

UConn must be the team that makes the numbers even if they take 6 Pac 12s. Twenty team conference.

Last edited:

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
This scary thing about this realignment for Nebraska is that all these team joining the Big 12 will be planning to recruit Texas going forward. It will be interesting to see how this affects our recruiting strategy down the road - we have a lot of eggs in the Texas basket. Need to start winning right away and solidify the pipeline.

Seaofred92

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Nebrasketball
UConn has a football donor/season ticket holder event later this afternoon that’s been on the books for about a month or so. Should get some good quotes later today IMG_4871.jpeg

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
This scary thing about this realignment for Nebraska is that all these team joining the Big 12 will be planning to recruit Texas going forward. It will be interesting to see how this affects our recruiting strategy down the road - we have a lot of eggs in the Texas basket. Need to start winning right away and solidify the pipeline.
I think the biggest thing that Nebraska has done though is to recruit Texas high school coaches and administrators to the point that the I don't think the other schools could gain too much traction on that.

CybrrMonky71

FukUJarvisRedwine
Elite Member
The Big12 probably wants a do over on the 3 commuter schools they added last yr
Merging with the Pac12, 4 corner schools + Washington & Oregon is vastly more marketable than adding UH, UCF & Cincy
Big12 will end up being so big diluting each members share
There are no football brands in that league other than BYU. The league has a total of 2 nstys (3 if u count UCFs)
The league is a nice collection of misfit toys but still a collection of misfit toys for football
Might be smarter to add UConn, Arizona + 1 more & just be the elite basketball conference

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Merging with the Pac12, 4 corner schools + Washington & Oregon is vastly more marketable than adding UH, UCF & Cincy
There are no football brands in that league other than BYU. The league has a total of 2 nstys (3 if u count UCFs)
The league is a nice collection of misfit toys but still a collection of misfit toys for football
Might be smarter to add UConn, Arizona + 1 more & just be the elite basketball conference
apparently, their commissioner's long-range plan is to add UConn and market the football and basketball rights separately.

agree on the panic expansion last year - although it was a key in getting them beat the Pac 12 to a media deal.

Seaofred92

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Nebrasketball
You going to it? Are you in CT? I grew up in Avon. Nebraska born, Avon raised lol.
I wish- I’m in North Carolina but went to UConn for undergrad. I buy season tickets to support the program from afar but usually only make a game or two per year.

Avon is great- have some friends there and Simsbury, although most of my friends are in Fairfield County in Westport/Fairfield/Stamford area. Do you go back often? I’m up in Norwalk almost weekly for work

Seaofred92

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Nebrasketball
I would agree here- and actually go as far as to say if Yormark was commissioner when they made those adds they wouldn’t have made them.

You almost always want to add “University of xyz” rather than “University of Directional xyz” or “Xyz State University” if you can. There’s infinitely more power/brand in most instances by adding these schools, plus they’re usually the primary land grant institution of a state.

Adding the University of Arizona, University of Connecticut, and another one (University of Utah?) would be ideal. You don’t need 2 schools in Arizona or really any of the existing Big 12 footprint. Adding the second most popular team in the city of Cincinnati, Fourth most popular school in Florida, Second most popular school in Utah and like at best 5th most popular school in Texas isn’t exactly “powerful”. Those schools have all experienced varying degrees of success and do bring some athletic advantages/nice to haves, but for the most part are putrid academically and struggle with fan support. Not many tshirt fans for those types of places.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds