Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

More to Big 12?

To me SEC dominance has already ruined college football. I rarely watch playoff or championship games anymore. There's nothing less exciting than watching the same old story over and over again. Currently it's impossible for most teams including us to compete at that level. So fuck it, put it all in a blender, see what happens. Get all the teams they want so they get second fiddle.

But doesn’t consolidation, bigger and better conferences, lead to bigger and better matchups on a weekly basis, therefore a better overall product?

What is going away, and I’m completely fine with it now, is the notion that you have to go undefeated to be any good.

I said “now” in the last paragraph because I use to be adamantly opposed to realignment and consolidation and playoff expansion. It felt like it was unnecessary because it just increased the odds that the best team wouldn’t win the championship. Tom Forneli persists with his dumb take that expansion doesn’t get us anything. I counter that the point of the college football season isn’t to crown an undisputed champion but rather to… PLAY FUCKING FOOTBALL GAMES. And I’d rather watch entertaining games than what we get right now. Not many games that people care about outside of their team’s games. Maybe 1 a week at this point? “Getting it right” at the end of the year is much less important to me than 15 weeks of multiple games I want to watch on each time slot.

As for the regional elements… I’m not sure I know why that matters. Maybe a little. It’s cool to say you’re the best in an area. Bark at your neighbors for waving a Mizzou flag. If we can get into regionals within a construct that produced good football multiple times a Saturday, we should all be thankful. But I’m putting that second behind product quality.
I agree that the point isn't to crown an undisputed champion. I couldn't care less about getting the champion right. But how is Nebraska vs Clemson a more appealing matchup than Nebraska vs Wisconsin? Ohio State vs Washington instead of Ohio State vs Penn State? Nebraska/Wisconsin and Ohio State/Penn State are two games that will no longer be played annually as a result of adding just two teams. What happens when we add 4 more?

Rivalries are what makes the sport great and all of them are regional.

To me SEC dominance has already ruined college football. I rarely watch playoff or championship games anymore. There's nothing less exciting than watching the same old story over and over again. Currently it's impossible for most teams including us to compete at that level. So fuck it, put it all in a blender, see what happens. Get all the teams they want so they get second fiddle.
100% it has ruined it. I only watch sec foosball if I think Alabama is about to lose. Cfb playoffs w four teams are a joke, especially with the way sec engineers schedules to try and get multiple teams in the playoffs

I agree that the point isn't to crown an undisputed champion. I couldn't care less about getting the champion right. But how is Nebraska vs Clemson a more appealing matchup than Nebraska vs Wisconsin? Ohio State vs Washington instead of Ohio State vs Penn State? Nebraska/Wisconsin and Ohio State/Penn State are two games that will no longer be played annually as a result of adding just two teams. What happens when we add 4 more?

I would watch all of those games. Outside of Nebraska none interest me any more than the other.

I understand the validity of this view, but I'm not ready to routinely crown a 2 loss champ. It just doesn't feel right to me.

There are a lot of mismatches in college football, but there is nothing wrong with the quality of play. Mismatches create the massive upsets, which is one of the most appealing aspects of college football.
We can disagree on this. I find myself wholly disinterested in the vast majority of the games. It’s only enjoyable the 3-4 weeks a year that I can get my buddies to hang out. Then we don’t really care what games are on. If I’m at home with the boys and my ole lady, I watch Nebraska and then do yard work.

What about fewer of Indiana, Rutgers, Northwestern, Purdue, Maryland… and more of those other schools?

It all started with 2 on 2 off with OU. Such a shame.

I think you'll see this as an after effect of the mega conference expansions. When you get to 24 teams I think you'll have to have NFL style divisions with your closest regional opponents.

So ironically, MORE expansion might get you to more intra-regional games.

At this point obviously you pair up UCLA/USC w Oregon and Washington. And then pair up Maryland/Rutgers with Clemson and FSU. So you can start to see the regional divisions/pods being formed already.

I love the idea of Nebraska having Cockeye, Wisconsin, Minnesota (& maybe Illinois/NW) every year and then sprinkling in your inter-division games like the NFL does. It's especially great if you're a Nebraska alum & you live out in Los Angeles or Seattle or Charlotte or central Florida. You'd know you get to see the Huskers in your town once every 4-5 yrs or so.

Attendance is still a struggle at the majority of CFB venues. The fact that teams could have 3x 2000 mile trips isn't helping anything. College football needs to be regional with a smattering of national games imo. A western realignment in the BIG could hurt Nebraska long term if we get stuck in a division with West Coast schools.
Big 10 isn’t really regional now. You have the true Midwest teams, the east coast teams and those in between.

That seems like a crazy number to me, but maybe the B1G is willing to pay part of that to get a foothold in Florida?
My guess is it's just the B1G waiving the vesting schedule that Nebraska and Maryland had to go through to get to 100% payout eligibility (3 yrs I think?).

B1G waived that for USC and UCLA. It's probably worth it to waive it for FSU as well as FSU brings a lot do the table (TV sets). Clemson you wouldn't think but I'd assume they'd get the same deal FSU gets, though they wouldn't remotely deserve it.

I'd be surprised if B1G is waiving vesting period PLUS paying FSU extra to break their ACC contract. I can't imagine OSU and Michigan going for that. Only Notre Dame would be worth such a thing IMHO. FSU has no leverage to ask for that bc SEC won't do that (pay full rights payout PLUS extra $30m/yr). SEC already has Florida TV covered, they don't benefit from adding FSU like the B1G.

Last edited:
My guess is it's just the B1G waiving the vesting schedule that Nebraska and Maryland had to go through to get to 100% payout eligibility (3 yrs I think?).

B1G waived that for USC and UCLA. It's probably worth it to waive it for FSU as well as FSU brings a lot do the table (TV sets). Clemson you wouldn't think but I'd assume they'd get the same deal FSU gets, though they wouldn't remotely deserve it.

I'd be surprised if B1G is waiving vesting period PLUS paying FSU extra to break their ACC contract. I can't imagine OSU and Michigan going for that. Only Notre Dame would be worth such a thing IMHO. FSU has no leverage to ask for that bc SEC won't do that (pay full rights payout PLUS extra $30m/yr). SEC already has Florida TV covered, they don't benefit from adding FSU like the B1G.
If Fox finances the FSU GOR buyout the optics are vastly different even though the economic outcome is about the same for everyone. They could, in effect, settle by buying out FSU's GOR at a price agreeable to ESPN and the ACC. Fox would settle at the price they would be willing to increase the payment to the B1G with FSU (and Clemson, perhaps). FSU (and Clemson, perhaps) then get full shares of the much higher payout but owe the repayment of the buyouts in installments to FOX. Fox has the 2036 FSU (& Clemson) GOR rights as collateral.

If Fox finances the FSU GOR buyout the optics are vastly different even though the economic outcome is about the same for everyone. They could, in effect, settle by buying out FSU's GOR at a price agreeable to ESPN and the ACC. Fox would settle at the price they would be willing to increase the payment to the B1G with FSU (and Clemson, perhaps). FSU (and Clemson, perhaps) then get full shares of the much higher payout but owe the repayment of the buyouts in installments to FOX. Fox has the 2036 FSU (& Clemson) GOR rights as collateral.
Good point! FOX could do it all.

From what I am hearing on the UConn side- we are expecting for this to be wrapped up either way this week. Huskies are cautiously optimistic but they were last year too (and had the votes lined up until the P12 fully fell apart).

Media consultants presenting to the Big 12 ADs/Presidents today to ensure the B12 stays at a minimum revenue neutral with the addition. B12 sees high end potential on hoops and a path similar to Kansas/Arizona turnarounds with the increased investment and 2031 start date for UConn (also likes their Big East success in football previously). Also sees UConn as a start to a bridge to add some ACC schools when the time comes.

We’ll see what happens but I can’t imagine this dragging into the season.

can we just get rid of conferences and do a big league with 70-90 teams and then reorganize them into geographic divisions
Think someone pitched that a few months back and the consensus was it was too many teams being included

Think we’ll ultimately get this around 40-50 teams.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back