Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

MLPFC Shit Posting (9 Viewers)

bbenson67

Cornerback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm so old I remember that whole week like it's a video playing in my head. It was my freshman year at Benson HS and I was in ROTC and was in uniform. They grabbed a couple of us and we were asked to lower the school's American flag to half mast. Picture made it into the yearbook.

I stayed home from church on Sunday two days later and was watching the transfer of Oswald from the Dallas County Jail. I watched Jack Ruby shoot him live on TV. 14 year old me was never quite the same. It's difficult to express the national feeling of loss. It was also when my generation lost it's innocence. It also explains a lot of the cynicism of the '60s going forward.

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
I'm so old I remember that whole week like it's a video playing in my head. It was my freshman year at Benson HS and I was in ROTC and was in uniform. They grabbed a couple of us and we were asked to lower the school's American flag to half mast. Picture made it into the yearbook.

I stayed home from church on Sunday two days later and was watching the transfer of Oswald from the Dallas County Jail. I watched Jack Ruby shoot him live on TV. 14 year old me was never quite the same. It's difficult to express the national feeling of loss. It was also when my generation lost it's innocence. It also explains a lot of the cynicism of the '60s going forward.

It’s crazy imagining what it would be like today if a super popular homecoming king esk POTUS got killed on live TV and then the dude who shot him got killed with live TV cameras rolling.

9/11 is truly the only comparison and that can be made, and it led to 2 full on wars and 3 other faux/secret wars some of which lasted for 20+ years.

PS: it’s a damn shame Oswald didn’t get JFK and LBJ. I honestly believe Nixon would have handled Nam so much better than LBJ that the war may have “ended” before the Da Nang landings in 1965 because (as proven) Nixon actually understood that having air superiority is the Queen on the political negotiating chess board.

Never stop bombing the enemy and their supply lines and their families and their family friends and their neighbors and their neighbor’s friends until they are forced to bend the knee. Save American lives, save American time and honesty save American money.

bbenson67

Cornerback
Elite Member
tPB OG
It’s crazy imagining what it would be like today if a super popular homecoming king esk POTUS got killed on live TV and then the dude who shot him got killed with live TV cameras rolling.

9/11 is truly the only comparison and that can be made, and it led to 2 full on wars and 3 other faux/secret wars some of which lasted for 20+ years.

PS: it’s a damn shame Oswald didn’t get JFK and LBJ. I honestly believe Nixon would have handled Nam so much better than LBJ that the war may have “ended” before the Da Nang landings in 1965 because (as proven) Nixon actually understood that having air superiority is the Queen on the political negotiating chess board.

Never stop bombing the enemy and their supply lines and their families and their family friends and their neighbors and their neighbor’s friends until they are forced to bend the knee. Save American lives, save American time and honesty save American money.

Every single VC prisoner I interrogated said the thing that lowered morale the most was the Arclight (B-52) strikes. Second was napalm.

Did you know that B-52 strike targets were so highly classified that just the term Arclight was classified Secret? The actual targets, the little 2x3 km boxes, were classified Top Secret. In the field we were only allowed to communicate anything having to do with the strikes over an encrypted radio. There was also a rule that no US troops could be within 5km of a strike. Anything closer than that could damage your hearing.

I think JFK was coming around to the folly of Vietnam especially after the shit show that ensued after the assassination of Pres. Diem. LBJ on the other hand......

"Hey hey LBJ, how many kids did you kill today?"

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG

I knew you were old but that put a whole new perspective to your ooddness. I'm also jealous of your experiences even though there's no way I would want to have them (Vietnam War, etc). How weird is that?

BBTown Bomber

In Memoriam 1952-2023
tPB OG
I knew you were old but that put a whole new perspective to your ooddness. I'm also jealous of your experiences even though there's no way I would want to have them (Vietnam War, etc). How weird is that?
All things considered my brief (brief, meaning a happy-hour guided tour of the real western nebraska and dinner later on the Bomber deck) encounter with @bbenson67 verified his “normal” status, given his life’s resume. The storytelling was as good as it gets.

I’m a pretty good storyteller myself but pale in comparison. Can’t imagine some of the things that @bbenson67 has seen that we’ll never hear about.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
It’s spelled a-w-e-s-o-m-e

We will also accept hero and badass
It really is badass. I think the perception of war has changed more than it actually has. The media coverage of Iraq gave us (at least me) this perception of people shooting missiles, etc from hundreds of yards to miles away. Vietnam and the world wars were absolutely in your face.

Reality for people there or in any other current day conflict isn't so glorified I'm sure but it just doesn't get to the same level of awe/respect as those past.

The old part - Kennedy in my brain seems so much longer ago than Vietnam. So when @bbenson67 talked about Vietnam I still had a mental picture of him being a little older than myself. The Kennedy story made it click. Makes no logical sense of course it just did.

bbenson67

Cornerback
Elite Member
tPB OG
All things considered my brief (brief, meaning a happy-hour guided tour of the real western nebraska and dinner later on the Bomber deck) encounter with @bbenson67 verified his “normal” status, given his life’s resume. The storytelling was as good as it gets.

I’m a pretty good storyteller myself but pale in comparison. Can’t imagine some of the things that @bbenson67 has seen that we’ll never hear about.

I'm blushing but I had so much fun in the short time we spent in God's Country, Scottsbluff. I'll be sending you a pm as I may be headed your way in a couple of weeks. No Swimtown this year just Colorado and Bestern Nebraska.

HCFord1

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG

Agreed. As a younger person, you kind of have these assumptions of what Vietnam vets are like, mostly due to television and movies. When I sat down with @bbenson67 it was just like meeting any other Nebraskan, except this one has tons of unique stories both from the military and his professional life. Great guy!

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
It really is badass. I think the perception of war has changed more than it actually has. The media coverage of Iraq gave us (at least me) this perception of people shooting missiles, etc from hundreds of yards to miles away. Vietnam and the world wars were absolutely in your face.

Reality for people there or in any other current day conflict isn't so glorified I'm sure but it just doesn't get to the same level of awe/respect as those past.

The old part - Kennedy in my brain seems so much longer ago than Vietnam. So when @bbenson67 talked about Vietnam I still had a mental picture of him being a little older than myself. The Kennedy story made it click. Makes no logical sense of course it just did.

Iraq quickly turned into anything but long range missiles.

As the war developed it became majority urban warfare. (Opposite of Afghan)

But I agree, it’s not as much fun when the enemy can reach out and touch you back.

HuskerDocCo

100 & havin fun GBR !!
tPB OG
You guys are all too nice. I'm first and foremost a lifelong Husker fan and being with all of you as part of that package is just a huge bonus. I've met several people from the board irl and they are exactly like they come across on the board. It sounds trite but it really is family.
haven’t met me yet farmer, you can find me on the north forty farmin in my John Deere BELLLCCHH

Dr.DrakeRamoray

Wide Receiver
Insider
tPB OG
I'm blushing but I had so much fun in the short time we spent in God's Country, Scottsbluff. I'll be sending you a pm as I may be headed your way in a couple of weeks. No Swimtown this year just Colorado and Bestern Nebraska.
Side note the lady and I are looking at a couple places and Newport Beach/Laguna area is one of them, if we decide on that I may PM you to pick your brain

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds