Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

May Recruiting thread

BlairAngulo avatar
BlairAnguloSTAFF
Posted on 5 mins, V I P, User Since 88 months ago, User Post Count: 25382
One of the top offensive line prospects in the Mountain region has locked in his first official visit of the recruiting process.
Salt Lake City (Utah) West three-star lineman Nuku Mafi is approaching double-digit scholarship offers and there is one school in particular that appears to be setting the pace in the battle.
“I’ve got an official visit with Nebraska scheduled for the June 16 weekend,” Mafi said. “I really like coach Donovan Raiola. He is a funny guy and I love talking to him. I know he’s a good coach and I know it’s a program that’s rebuilding, so I’d have a chance of going in there and making an impact early, even maybe starting.
“The big thing I’ll look for when I get back to Lincoln is if they can get me to the next level and how they are going to get me better, not just as a football player but as a person too. There are a lot of things I want to see, like schooling and life after football. Those are things I’m looking at with every school.”
Mafi is the nation’s No. 48 rated interior offensive lineman and No. 9 overall prospect in the state of Utah for the 2024 class, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite rankings.
The 6-foot-4, 295-pound prospect is a talented blocker who sets a really strong base at the point of attack and uses his hands well to fend off pash rushers. Mafi is a balanced blocker who shows good athleticism in pass protection and the nimble mobility to hit the second level on run plays.
A few other schools are making Mafi feel like a priority this spring.
“Arizona, Arizona State, Tennessee, USC and Utah,” Mafi said. “I’m taking my time with the process. Everyone thinks that I’m going to commit before the season but I’ve talked to my parents about it and they’d want me to make my decision later this year, possibly in December around the time of the Early Signing Period. I want to be able to head out and get some visits in.”

I'd assume if this visit still happens, the only way the door opens for a commitable offer is if something happens with Kaelin unexpectedly. Or would we take 2 QBs with our room being a bit light?
You'd think they'd take a HS kid and portal guy to spread out the schollies IF they actually take a second.

Florida defender sets official visit to Nebraska​

Huskers to get chance to host three-star defensive back Amare Sanders​

MIKE SCHAEFER36 minsVIP0

Nebraska has locked up another official visit for June as the Huskers are expected to have defensive back Amare Sanders on campus.

The cornerback, who just started playing football in 2022, is set to be in Lincoln on June 2 for the weekend. It’s the only official Sanders has slated at this time.

The 6-foot-2, 160-pound defender is starting to gain plenty of interest from other suitors as he holds 21 offers including Nebraska sandwiched between two important ones from Florida and Florida State.

Previously more focused on basketball — older brother Tony Sanders is at Notre Dame — Sanders spent his first year at Gulliver Prep playing cornerback where he finished with 49 tackles, seven breakups and two interceptions in just eight total games.

Nebraska has a commitment from Roger Gradney and have plenty of targets in the secondary, but things are pretty open for the Huskers in the defensive backfield for the 2024 class.

Sanders is the seventh visitor set for the first weekend and there will be several other defensive backs expected in attendance.

Sanders is a three-star as rated by 247Sports and 247Sports Composite. There are no 247Sports Crystal Ball Predictions at this time.

GREG SMITH:

Nebraska made another new scholarship offer on Tuesday morning and a visit is already locked in. The Huskers were the second Power Five school to offer North Carolina defensive back Evan Taylor. Now an official visit is scheduled for June 16.

“I can’t wait to see those nice facilities,” Taylor said. “Also look around and get a good feel of the campus and getting to spend time with the coaches.”

The Huskers joined Rutgers as the other Power Five school to offer Taylor. Both offers have come in the last week as assistant coaches are out on the road for the evaluation period. When Nebraska offered Taylor he was thankful for the opportunity.

“Well, I was just pumped with excitement! Very grateful for the opportunity and looking forward to building a strong relationship with the coaches,” Taylor said.

Last season as a junior, Taylor racked up 38 catches for 528 yards and seven touchdowns. He also had 608 rushing yards plus ten tackles and an interception on defense. He’s a do it all player for Cuthbertson High School but he was offered by Nebraska as a defensive back.

I know he's a bit raw, but would be curious as to @slattimer thoughts on his film. I watched it and all I know is the guy looks to have a bit of a mean streak, blocking to the whistle and always looking for someone to hit.
Not sure why but I don't worry as much about the lesser known players that this staff offers. I trust them as they have a proven track record. If he is big, plays mean and moves well then that is a great start. Rhule is known for his physical practices so I have to believe that anyone we are recruiting is warned about that beforehand. Also he had a good offer list out of high school plus Utah has been doing a good job developing O Linemen.

I know he's a bit raw, but would be curious as to @slattimer thoughts on his film. I watched it and all I know is the guy looks to have a bit of a mean streak, blocking to the whistle and always looking for someone to hit.
He looks pretty good. Moved well. Finishes. Aggressive. Seems to have the athleticism needed. I saw some dudes on inside Nebraska say. “He needs work”. Lol. GTFO. Dudes like that have no idea what even to look at.

Like yeah. That’s a blanket statement that is true for everyone. But that kids upside looks pretty good IMO.

A list of top five schools is in for Preston Taumua, the No. 1 rated recruit in the state of Hawaii.

The four-star offensive lineman from Aiea and Polynesian Bowl all-star has Alabama, Arizona, Auburn, Nebraska and Oregon spearheading his recruitment.

Taumua has locked in official visits with Arizona (June 2) and Auburn (June 16) and changed up a previously scheduled trip to Tennessee with the Ducks for the June 23 weekend to wrap up the summer.

Taumua intends to take all five of his official visits before making a college choice.

The 6-foot-4, 315-pound lineman from Aiea (Hawaii) is the nation’s No. 200 overall recruit and No. 8 among interior line prospects, according to the 247Sports rankings.

Taumua offered insight on why each of the five finalists made the cut:

Alabama: “I say Alabama is a good choice because coach Eric Wolford flew all the way down to Hawaii to see me and hopped back on the plane on that same day he flew in. That really meant something because Alabama is like 10 hours away flight time and it really shows how bad he wants me.”

Arizona: “Man, Arizona has been really good to me and my football team. The amount of love I got from them when I visited Tucson was crazy. Coach Josh Omura, coach Brett Arce and coach Brennan Carroll are really outdoing themselves. They check up on me every week and they just love how me and my boys are always thinking about them.”

Auburn: “I love Auburn because of coach Ben Aigamaua, coach Kendall Simmons and coach Jake Thornton. They show so much love to me especially when they come down to the islands. Me and coach Ben always check up on one another and they talk to me like I’m a part of the team already and that’s something special.”

Nebraska: “Some people were kind of surprised that I put Nebraska up there. I don’t know why. They always love to bring up Nebraska’s old record but the relationship that I’ve built with coach Donovan Raiola is something special. They can make you laugh, smile and even make you feel motivated before games. I can tell that they will be better than they were last year, especially with coach Matt Rhule there.”

Oregon: “Oregon is a place that I could’ve seen myself playing at ever since I was in 8th grade. It’s always been a dream school of mine. I like it because Coach Koa Ka’ai, coach A’lique Terry and coach Cutter Leftwich. They’re the main guys I reach out to when it comes to this college stuff because they’re not as biased as people would think they would be. It all came full circle when coach Terry got hired as the new offensive line coach at Oregon. When I tore my ACL my sophomore year, coach Koa and coach Terry, who was working at Hawaii at the time, were the first-ever coaches to come see me. So it was cool to see coach Terry get hired as the new OL coach.”

Taumua is among the most highly coveted prospects out West in the 2024 cycle and the ultra athletic line prospect continues to see his stock rise.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back