Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Marcus Satterfield (1 Viewer)

Sous Chef

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
He will not be worse than Whipple. Plus, Rhule is going to have a lot of input.
Awkward Talk GIF by Holly Logan

Juro

Sarcastic Ass
Elite Member
Bounty Hunter
Satterfield called a good game. Some questionable calls, but overall, not a bad game at all. We kept them on their feet early in the game by running the QB. Then the defense had to adjust for that later on and then guess what, our offense opened up a little more.

We were marching down the field several times on a very good defense. Not Satt's fault that Sims would stare down a receiver in his first big game as a new QB in a new system on the road and then throw the interception three times. Not Satt's fault that one of our best running backs coughs up the ball in a crucial setting.

I felt the gameplan was messily executed, but not messily called.

Pipehog69

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
I thought Satt called a good game. They have a really good defense and if it weren’t for some crucial penalties and turnovers we would’ve scored 21+. I know people will complain about the passes on 1st and 2nd down late in the 4th but there were still 12 minutes left and the receivers were wide open. Idk how you can blame the play caller on those, it’s just poor execution.

Snockered69

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Satterfield called a good game. Some questionable calls, but overall, not a bad game at all. We kept them on their feet early in the game by running the QB. Then the defense had to adjust for that later on and then guess what, our offense opened up a little more.

We were marching down the field several times on a very good defense. Not Satt's fault that Sims would stare down a receiver in his first big game as a new QB in a new system on the road and then throw the interception three times. Not Satt's fault that one of our best running backs coughs up the ball in a crucial setting.

I felt the gameplan was messily executed, but not messily called.
Maybe it was just me but I felt the oline played the best of all 5 offense position groups. There were some breakdowns but looked far better than last year. Thought the RBs were slow to the hole several times. Also Satt adjusted his play calling when Minnesota started bringing an extra man on run blitz, Que the Haarberg play. Won’t judge Satt entirely on this game. Just thought every other position group outside of OL was utter garbage.

Hardknocks1

Linebacker
Elite Member
I would completely disagree on calling a good game. It looked like a lot of what we have seen before. You need to call the damn game based on flow, personnel and situation. Why in the hell do you have a guy in the game with fumble issues in fall camp when you are trying to ice the game? Why do you continue to drop back with a guy that reads defenses at a high school level. You can argue it’s not his fault that Sims stares down receivers but it is your fault, and if he does that stop dropping back and passing. This should have been a zone read, RPO game the whole way in 2nd half. We had one time out with the ball on their side of the 50 and a QB with two bad interceptions already. Zone read, zone read, zone read, no huddle clock stops in first downs maybe you throw one play action or RPO, get to the 25 kick the field goal with 5 seconds left.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Maybe it was just me but I felt the oline played the best of all 5 offense position groups. There were some breakdowns but looked far better than last year. Thought the RBs were slow to the hole several times. Also Satt adjusted his play calling when Minnesota started bringing an extra man on run blitz, Que the Haarberg play. Won’t judge Satt entirely on this game. Just thought every other position group outside of OL was utter garbage.
Oline was garbage in pass pro. Ok run blocking.

jickey moseph

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I thought Satt called a good game. They have a really good defense and if it weren’t for some crucial penalties and turnovers we would’ve scored 21+. I know people will complain about the passes on 1st and 2nd down late in the 4th but there were still 12 minutes left and the receivers were wide open. Idk how you can blame the play caller on those, it’s just poor execution.
I know we laugh at Tommi Hill being in on that long ball but Tommi Hill had that corner dusted and Sims just completely under threw him.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'd like to see how many pressures they gave up. Felt like Sims had few opportunities to just sit back there and throw... he did hold on to the ball too long a few times though.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
I would completely disagree on calling a good game. It looked like a lot of what we have seen before. You need to call the damn game based on flow, personnel and situation. Why in the hell do you have a guy in the game with fumble issues in fall camp when you are trying to ice the game? Why do you continue to drop back with a guy that reads defenses at a high school level. You can argue it’s not his fault that Sims stares down receivers but it is your fault, and if he does that stop dropping back and passing. This should have been a zone read, RPO game the whole way in 2nd half. We had one time out with the ball on their side of the 50 and a QB with two bad interceptions already. Zone read, zone read, zone read, no huddle clock stops in first downs maybe you throw one play action or RPO, get to the 25 kick the field goal with 5 seconds left.
Mixed bag for me. I get where you're coming from, especially on the Grant in during crunch time and fumbling. Shit pissed me off.

The pick Sims threw in right before half, the call was good, snag into the boundary - 3 v 3 and Boerk was wide open...that's something Sims has to hit. But that sequence of the last 11 seconds wasn't good.

The sequence where they took a shot to Hill and missed, I get it...you should pounded the ball and you want to take a shot to get them on their heals a bit, missed, then they ran an RPO and it got tipped. That sucks. Then you're pretty well forced to throw.

Really wish Haarberg could come in and do some Tebow type stuff. Line up and run Q power, Q Counter, etc. Take a little bit off of Sims running the ball.

whoboppin

Linebacker
I thought the play calling was fine. Nebraska was leaning on Minnesota in the 2nd half and moving the ball fairly well. Nebraska was running their 8 min offense really well and Grant broke that run that was going to basically ICE the game but fumbled. That typical Nebraska sh!t. Like he finishes that run and its basically ball game.

You can say 'Why was Grant in the game.' The answer is he is clearly the best running back. Its tough to not have him in the game when he makes the runs he does.

Eloot224

Running Back
Elite Member
That Grant fumble. Can anyone find a good reason why he’s in there in that situation?

I know DB this morning tried to explain why in his opinion he was in there. Not verbatim but Something along the line of… staff seeing something with the outside runs and using Grant where as Ervin more inside runs? Also, to slow build this program you have to put these kids go thru these moments in games.
Anyone catch that this morning? I was still clearing the cobwebs.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
That Grant fumble. Can anyone find a good reason why he’s in there in that situation?

I know DB this morning tried to explain why in his opinion he was in there. Not verbatim but Something along the line of… staff seeing something with the outside runs and using Grant where as Ervin more inside runs? Also, to slow build this program you have to put these kids go thru these moments in games.
Anyone catch that this morning? I was still clearing the cobwebs.
tbh, Grant is the only RB we have who actually runs like a RB. I haven't seen anything from Ervin to suggest he'd be anything better than a mediocre RB. So I kind of get it, but it backfired on them bigly.

Eloot224

Running Back
Elite Member
tbh, Grant is the only RB we have who actually runs like a RB. I haven't seen anything from Ervin to suggest he'd be anything better than a mediocre RB. So I kind of get it, but it backfired on them bigly.
Yeah it’s definitely coulda woulda shoulda after the fact. He holds on and gets that first. It’s over and a different conversation this morning.

Hardknocks1

Linebacker
Elite Member
Mixed bag for me. I get where you're coming from, especially on the Grant in during crunch time and fumbling. Shit pissed me off.

The pick Sims threw in right before half, the call was good, snag into the boundary - 3 v 3 and Boerk was wide open...that's something Sims has to hit. But that sequence of the last 11 seconds wasn't good.

The sequence where they took a shot to Hill and missed, I get it...you should pounded the ball and you want to take a shot to get them on their heals a bit, missed, then they ran an RPO and it got tipped. That sucks. Then you're pretty well forced to throw.

Really wish Haarberg could come in and do some Tebow type stuff. Line up and run Q power, Q Counter, etc. Take a little bit off of Sims running the ball.
I also for the life of me hot damn how do we continue to have veteran guys have HUGE penalties in crunch time. If we don’t false start twice inside the 3 and at the 4 inch line that thing is 21-3.
I was putting kids to bed on the Hill series get what you are saying there. Just felt like Sims was a one read guy all night and missed a lot of guys. Yes that is on him, for sure. Just trying to figure out what Sats vision for this offense is if you move on from Thompson for Sims if your vision for this offense is not extremely heavy zone read, RPO’s and deep shots it doesn’t make sense to me. I don’t think Sims will ever be able to be pocket guy that can just underneath you to death. Also doesn’t help we have nobody that can threaten you over the top, our receivers are bottom 1/4 of big ten. Hope he gets it figured out. I know it is Minnesota but I really liked our D and Whites plan. I think he will have us consistently being a top 30 defense. Hope Sat does not turn into Rhule’s Shawn Watson or Callahan’s Cosgrove with one side of the ball lopsided.

What were your thoughts on our O-line? D-line I thought Nutsmasher was a man

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
What were your thoughts on our O-line? D-line I thought Nutsmasher was a man
Besides the defense not getting off the field on 3rd downs, I thought they did a pretty good job for the most part. Allowing 55 yards rushing is a pretty damn good job.

O Line, I think their run stuff was better, they seemed to get some movement up front. Saw a few whiffs, but run game wasn't just awful. Pass Pro, we didn't throw a lot, but didn't think Sims had a lot of time. Always felt that Minny Q had a lot more time in comparison. Cork and Benhardt struggled some in pass pro...shocking...

Huskers4420

Linebacker
Besides the defense not getting off the field on 3rd downs, I thought they did a pretty good job for the most part. Allowing 55 yards rushing is a pretty damn good job.

O Line, I think their run stuff was better, they seemed to get some movement up front. Saw a few whiffs, but run game wasn't just awful. Pass Pro, we didn't throw a lot, but didn't think Sims had a lot of time. Always felt that Minny Q had a lot more time in comparison. Cork and Benhardt struggled some in pass pro...shocking...

Our secondary is the highlight of our defense and bailed out our subpar Dline most of the game. For the majority of the game, it felt like the Minnesota QB coulda started paying rent in the pocket. When Tony White gets some pieces at DLine this D will be very good.

In regards to Satterfield, I air more on the side of you gotta know your personnel. The call is good, but you have to realize the risk of Jammal Lord 2.0 making those passes is not worth the reward statistically. You have Minnesota reeling and have a chance to assert dominance when your OLine has been run blocking fairly well. Just jam it down their throat 3 straight plays (with Rahmir or Gabe) and chew clock.

I was nervous about SC fans saying Satterfield can get pass happy when he came here. It showed last night.

Blakejc

Corporate Potato
Elite Member
Grant looked like the best runner, but Ervin was always falling forward in the 2nd half. And absolutely trucked some dudes too. Would’ve liked to see more Rhamir, I think if we had no one else he would get 800 rushing and 300 receiving and be quite reliable.

But between Satt abandoning traditional ground game after the first drive and Bethel’s ADHD substitutions, not sure any of the RBs should be judged too harshly (outside of ball security)

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds