Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Las Vegas Aces offered $1M to beat a boys high school team (1 Viewer)

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
That’s a dumb fucking way to prove a point
Not really, since it would prove exactly what it sets out to prove. If you say that is obvious and doesn't need to be proven, I agree, but then we'd all need to agree that boys shouldn't be competing in women's sports, which unfortunately isn't happening, hence the discussion.

But more to the point, you said @Jim14510 was wrong about the context when he was *exactly* right

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
when he was *exactly* right
dan levy comedy GIF by CBC

Irv

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
That's literally the exact context of the discussion lol

"[When the boys HS championship team wins], then my overall point will be made, which is boys shouldn't be competing in women's athletics because boys are bigger, stronger, and faster, even high school boys."

6:12-6:24

Oh, I see. He wants to protect women's sports by taking a shit on them.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider

Blakejc

Corporate Potato
Elite Member
Not really, since it would prove exactly what it sets out to prove. If you say that is obvious and doesn't need to be proven, I agree, but then we'd all need to agree that boys shouldn't be competing in women's sports, which unfortunately isn't happening, hence the discussion.

But more to the point, you said @Jim14510 was wrong about the context when he was *exactly* right
You’re right, I had no idea somebody would be dumb enough to veil this ridiculous stunt as an experiment. Lesson learned.

I love the gender argument though. Because it comes down to testosterone levels, and the real hypocrisy will happen when we just start using that as a barometer for competition. Then we’ll see natural woman barred from competing (like the Nigerian sprinters) in their own sport. Then we’ll have an actual dilemma on our hands.

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
Oh, I see. He wants to protect women's sports by taking a shit on them.
It might shock you to believe that many women (real women) actually enjoy the privilege of fair competition in sport. And would like to continue enjoying that privilege.

It's a fact that NFL team would kick the shit out of my son's middle school team. Am I taking a shit on my son's team by stating that fact? That's completely absurd and emotional. Sports require fair competition.

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
You’re right, I had no idea somebody would be dumb enough to veil this ridiculous stunt as an experiment. Lesson learned.

I love the gender argument though. Because it comes down to testosterone levels, and the real hypocrisy will happen when we just start using that as a barometer for competition. Then we’ll see natural woman barred from competing (like the Nigerian sprinters) in their own sport. Then we’ll have an actual dilemma on our hands.
No, the real difference is not only testosterone. That's completely absurd. Put a male MMA fighter in a ring with a female MMA fighter on a testosterone regiment so their T levels are similar and the female would lose badly and/or die.
Just a completely ridiculous argument.

Blakejc

Corporate Potato
Elite Member
No, the real difference is not only testosterone. That's completely absurd. Put a male MMA fighter in a ring with a female MMA fighter on a testosterone regiment so their T levels are similar and the female would lose badly and/or die.
Just a completely ridiculous argument.
Of course you can’t put an adult female on a testosterone regimen and expect that to level out the physiological advantage of a man who went through puberty. Same reason no amount of estrogen can cancel out the advantage of going through puberty as a male. A transitioning female who took testosterone through puberty at the levels of a male is a different story.

Regardless, what other metric is there to measure besides testosterone? It’s the only objective, scientific barometer, and even it is flawed. You don’t know when someone transitioning started taking it (or started estrogen) and some women have naturally higher testosterone levels than allowed by competition panels.

So naturally, the best way to figure this out is by offering millions of dollars to prove a point that doesn’t need proving by embarrassing women who just won a championship. Cool.

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
Regardless, what other metric is there to measure besides testosterone? It’s the only objective, scientific barometer, and even it is flawed.
It really is not that complicated. Can you really think of no other metric by which we can divide males and females into two distinct categories for sports, besides their testosterone levels?

I'll give you some time to think long and hard about it.

Blakejc

Corporate Potato
Elite Member
It really is not that complicated. Can you really think of no other metric by which we can divide males and females into two distinct categories for sports, besides their testosterone levels?

I'll give you some time to think long and hard about it.
The problem is simply more nuanced than that, whether you like it or not.

Southendzonehusker

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
Fair. My overall point is, they get way more exposure out of the WNBA than they would donating jerseys to a high school. WNBA numbers are growing, whether they're making money or not. So, for the people on here acting like the NBA isn't getting anything from the $10 mil a year they put into it, and are simply doing so out of charity, is laughable. They get the exposure and the tax benefit.

I know in 2012, 22 out of 30 NBA teams lost money. Some of them as much as $20 mil. Why aren't we dunking on those players for not deserving to be paid millions? Their organizations obviously aren't attracting the eyeballs to turn a profit.
I’m pretty sure it was half the teams in 2012 after the housing market crash and they had to renew tv contracts. The difference is that most NBA teams were still valued at half a billion. The Storm this year were only valued at $151 mill. Teams in the NBA will always be fine because of their profit. If the WNBA wasn’t support by the NBA it wouldn’t exist.

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
The WNBA has one problem. It isn't that the players aren't as good as men or even boys.

The problem with the WNBA is that the games are not fun to watch, it's not entertaining, it's boring and hard to watch.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds