Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Las Vegas Aces offered $1M to beat a boys high school team (3 Viewers)

DrumMonkeyRobot

Cornerback
Elite Member
You guys realize the NBA looks at the WNBA as a way to broaden its audience? The money they pump into the WNBA isn't charity, it's marketing dollars, and a hefty tax write-off. If you can get little girls more interested in basketball, you can hopefully get them to watch NBA games.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
This isn’t that. Don’t conflate the two.
the dude your opinion GIF

DrumMonkeyRobot

Cornerback
Elite Member
View attachment 29264

I should have looked closer. NBA Foundation at the top.

The "it's a tax write off" is still not a real answer. Nobody gives money away because it's a write off.

As I said originally the marketing point is a good one.
Yes, NBA Foundation and NBA are different entities.

And again, when you can reap a large tax benefit for something that is actually marketing dollars, you'd be dumb not to do so.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yes, NBA Foundation and NBA are different entities.

And again, when you can reap a large tax benefit for something that is actually marketing dollars, you'd be dumb not to do so.
Yes. Just explaining my error.

Point is any dollars spent on marketing is a tax benefit. Whether it's keeping the WNBA afloat or giving away jerseys to a poor high school. The tax benefit is the same.

betsch

Safety
What's the joke? "Ha ha, I took a public shit on a group of women that just won a championship in an effort to get people to pay more attention to me on the internet"?
I think its the fact that the women still think they could do it. This isn't some random person making this up to make them feel bad, the women are saying they could compete with men.

DrumMonkeyRobot

Cornerback
Elite Member
Yes. Just explaining my error.

Point is any dollars spent on marketing is a tax benefit. Whether it's keeping the WNBA afloat or giving away jerseys to a poor high school. The tax benefit is the same.
Fair. My overall point is, they get way more exposure out of the WNBA than they would donating jerseys to a high school. WNBA numbers are growing, whether they're making money or not. So, for the people on here acting like the NBA isn't getting anything from the $10 mil a year they put into it, and are simply doing so out of charity, is laughable. They get the exposure and the tax benefit.

I know in 2012, 22 out of 30 NBA teams lost money. Some of them as much as $20 mil. Why aren't we dunking on those players for not deserving to be paid millions? Their organizations obviously aren't attracting the eyeballs to turn a profit.

DrumMonkeyRobot

Cornerback
Elite Member
I think its the fact that the women still think they could do it. This isn't some random person making this up to make them feel bad, the women are saying they could compete with men.
One WNBA player, Britney Griner, said this. Much like @jaihawk accused me of doing earlier, you guys are taking a statement by one player and applying it to the entire league.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Fair. My overall point is, they get way more exposure out of the WNBA than they would donating jerseys to a high school. WNBA numbers are growing, whether they're making money or not. So, for the people on here acting like the NBA isn't getting anything from the $10 mil a year they put into it, and are simply doing so out of charity, is laughable. They get the exposure and the tax benefit.

I know in 2012, 22 out of 30 NBA teams lost money. Some of them as much as $20 mil. Why aren't we dunking on those players for not deserving to be paid millions? Their organizations obviously aren't attracting the eyeballs to turn a profit.
Only difference would be that even years an NBA team loses money the value of the team is more than likely increasing. That's definitely not the case with WNBA teams.

betsch

Safety
One WNBA player, Britney Griner, said this. Much like @jaihawk accused me of doing earlier, you guys are taking a statement by one player and applying it to the entire league.
I really DGAF. We all know how it will end. You are defending it like your daughter plays for them. It is what it is, I don't really care 🤷‍♂️

Mood4NU

Linebacker
Elite Member
I helped practice against the women's team when I was at UNL. If we were actually trying in a full-on scrimmage, we would've won pretty handily. And I quit basketball in high school. Once you get used to playing with a women's ball, the ease of making it from anywhere is not considered enough in this scenario.

Not to say they suck or anything, but it's science. They can't run with guys.
This , played ball with many D1 women’s hoopers . A thrown together mens intermural team can beat a D1 women’s team . I’m pretty confident a solid men’s high school team could handle a WNBA team . It’s biology

Why don’t women try something maybe men aren’t used to playing . Go for like fast pitch softball or volleyball . Most casual men would have a harder time with those two sports

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
This isn’t that. Don’t conflate the two.
That's literally the exact context of the discussion lol

"[When the boys HS championship team wins], then my overall point will be made, which is boys shouldn't be competing in women's athletics because boys are bigger, stronger, and faster, even high school boys."

6:12-6:24

Blakejc

Corporate Potato
Elite Member
That's literally the exact context of the discussion lol

"[When the boys HS championship team wins], then my overall point will be made, which is boys shouldn't be competing in women's athletics because boys are bigger, stronger, and faster, even high school boys."

6:12-6:24

That’s a dumb fucking way to prove a point

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds