Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

July Recruiting Thread… it’s almost gameday (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

doublewing

Running Back
And I'm sure it's a response that Dean and his crew would take offense at, honestly.
He woudn't dispute Sannon publicly, but I'm quite positive they see themselves as journalists.
Weakass response from Terry.
Yes, Shannon just basically said, "F - you. Those are fan sites where we only cater to what people want to hear and don't practice journalism."

We all basically know that, he just put it in print.

JerryBones5

Safety
Elite Member
Pick'Em Champion
Might have missed it, is Carter Nelson going to the cook out this weekend?

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Bottom two 2024 recruiting classes in each P5 conference (courtesy 247)

VIRGINIA CAVALIERS
National rank: No. 57
ACC rank: No. 13
Headliners: WR Christian Zachary (No. 102 WR); TE John Rogers (No. 39 TE); CB Jaylin Lackey (No. 62 CB)
After signing back-to-back classes that ranked outside the top 60 nationally, coupled with a tough 2023 season, Virginia is off to a slow start to the 2024 cycle. Tony Elliott and company are tied for an ACC-low with just 12 commits, and they are one of just four teams in the conference without a four-star prospect in their class.
From Ivins: “I think senior evaluations are going to have to be big for Tony Elliott and his staff, but on paper this class looks a little more promising than the one they signed last cycle. I think Tyler Simmons was a sneaky good get down in the Sunshine State. Like his upside, he just hasn’t faced top-end competition.”
From Wiltfong: “Virginia has had some good early evaluations, like quarterback Miles O'Neill, only to see those prospects ultimately head elsewhere. Obviously coming off a tough Year 1 of the Tony Elliott era, it’s been a little bit of a struggle resonating with some top targets on the trail, but UVA did land nearly half the prospects to date that took an official visit in June and they’re battling Maryland for intriguing passer Khristian Martin moving forward. Keeping Martin in-state could prove to be key down the road, and that’s another area Elliott and company are hoping to see more success, landing coveted guys from home.”

BOSTON COLLEGE EAGLES
National rank: No. 66
ACC rank: No. 14
Headliners: CB Desman Stephens (No. 102 ATH); WR Josiah Martin (No. 110 WR)
Jeff Hafley’s program has 13 commits for the 2024 cycle, but the Eagles are sitting at the bottom of the ACC recruiting rankings. The class took a major hit in June when four-star wide receiver Keonde Henry decommitted and ultimately flipped to Purdue.
From Ivins: “It’s kind of hard to figure out what the plan is when it comes to assembling the class. They got 13 commits from 10 different states and are likely going to miss on the top five-ranked prospects in-state. The loss of Keonde Henry stings. Eagles had been building a fruitful little pipeline into Texas.”​

From Wiltfong: “Historically, the Eagles have been a program outside the top 50 in the 247Sports Composite Team Rankings because, geographically, there just aren’t a lot of players in the backyard for BC to recruit. The footprint doesn’t lead to a high ranking. However, under Jeff Hafley and this regime, we’ve seen a spike on the trail as recruiting is very important to them. And moving forward this cycle, they’re in the thick of it for the No. 1 prospect in the state in offensive tackle Guerby Lambert, as they battle Notre Dame, Ohio State and Harvard for the West Roxbury (Mass.) Catholic Memorial standout. There has been a lot of buzz around the Irish, but the Eagles have done a good job here and landing Lambert would be as big a win for the program as we’ve seen in recent memory.”

BYU COUGARS
National rank: No. 74
Big 12 rank: No. 11
Headliners: TE Ryner Swanson (No. 23 TE); LB Adney Reid (No. 86 LB)
BYU has landed just eight commitments in the 2024 class, with half of those coming during a five-day stretch in mid-June. Kalani Sitake and company beat out Oregon, Texas, Texas A&M and Utah to land one of the nation’s top tight ends in Swanson, a Laguna Beach (Calif.) product who is coming off a big junior season that saw him catch 83 passes for 952 yards and 12 touchdowns.​

From Ivins: “Not an easy place to recruit to in the current landscape. BYU went heavy in the transfer portal last cycle and I expect them to do the same thing again this winter. I’m a fan of Ryner Swanson, though. One of the more unique profiles in the tight end class with his skiing, surfing and skateboarding background.”
From Wiltfong: “BYU only hosted a handful of official visitors in June, so it seems the timeline for the prospects they’re targeting will be later in the cycle.”

HOUSTON COUGARS​

National rank: No. 83
Big 12 rank: No. 12
Headliners: 4-star SAF Maurice Williams Jr. (No. 151 overall, No. 16 SAF)
Houston has just seven commits in the 2024 class, which is tied for the fewest of any Power Five team. But one of those was a big one as Dana Holgorsen and company were able to flip a Top247 safety from LSU in Williams, who had been committed to the Tigers for more than a year.
From Ivins: “Kind of surprising to see where they are in the rankings, especially when you compare them to UCF, who has also made the move into the Big 12. Both located in talent-rich metros. However, Heath McRee might be a steal. He impressed our guys at the Texas 7-on-7 Championship last month.”
From Wiltfong: “Houston had a big flip of in-state four-star Maurice Williams Jr. from LSU so we see what they’re capable of as they move to the Big 12. Similar to BYU, the Cougars didn’t host that many summer official visits, electing to bring in top targets in the fall and beyond.”

UCLA BRUINS​

National rank: No. 60
Big Ten rank: No. 15
Headliners: 4-star CB Khristian Dunbar-Hawkins (No. 26 CB); OT Mark Schroller (No. 23 OT); RB Cameron Jones (No. 47 RB); OT Marquise Thorpe-Taylor (No. 42 OT)
UCLA’s class is on the small side with just nine commits, but the Bruins have the sixth-highest average rating in the Big Ten. The group is headlined by a four-star defensive back in Dunbar-Hawkins and also includes four offensive line prospects as Chip Kelly’s program is investing heavily in the trenches.
From Ivins: “I’m actually not too concerned about where the Bruins are right now. Chip Kelly has always taken a different approach to building his roster and has shown that he can get plenty of difference-makers in the portal. Derrick McFall would be a nice addition. I had him on my ‘Dream Team’ from the OT7 Championship.”
From Wiltfong: “We typically don’t see UCLA take off until late in the cycle, and the transfer portal is really where this program has aimed to build the roster, fresh off signing a top-10 transfer portal haul in 2023. I imagine we’ll see the Bruins try and run it back again through the portal following the season.”

NORTHWESTERN WILDCATS​

National rank: No. 62
Big Ten rank: No. 16
Headliners: CB Jamir Benjamin (No. 28 CB); TE Patrick Schaller (No. 34 TE)
Northwestern was not exactly off to a roaring start to the 2024 class before Pat Fitzgerald’s firing, and the coaching change has not helped matters in that regard. Four players have decommitted from the program in the wake of the shocking move, dropping the Wildcats to dead last in the Big Ten class rankings.
From Ivins: “Whoever takes over is going to have their work cut out of them, which is going to be the reality moving forward anytime there’s a coaching change just with how accelerated the recruiting process has become. I would anticipate more defections. Can roster holes be filled with transfers? I’m not sure given admission standards.”
From Wiltfong: “Until Northwestern gets their house in order, it’s hard to imagine any kind of success on the trail moving forward. When all this is finally in the rear view, the Wildcats program will have a fresh coaching staff in place that will be able to sell some things several programs in the same lane can’t sell from an impeccable graduation rate, to top-notch facilities, to a track record of being competitive in the Big Ten with players hearing their name called early in the NFL Draft.”

CALIFORNIA GOLDEN BEARS​

National rank: No. 69
Pac-12 rank: No. 10
Headliners: 4-star ATH Rahshawn Clark (No. 27 ATH); QB EJ Caminong (No. 26 QB)
Justin Wilcox and his staff have picked up eight commitments since the start of June, giving them 10 total commits for the 2024 cycle. The two most recent additions are also the highest-rated players in the class and a pair of Seattle Garfield teammates in Clark and Caminong, the latter of whom joined Cal’s class just two weeks after decommitting from Washington.
From Ivins: “This class would be in much worse shape if it weren't for quarterback commit EJ Caminong. He’s got some tools and was a nice win for the Bears. I’m interested to see what they do on the offensive line after adding just one high schooler last cycle. They need corner protectors and veterans aren’t easy to court.”

UTAH UTES​

National rank: No. 65
Pac-12 rank: No. 8
Headliners: 4-star QB Isaac Wilson (No. 20 QB); 4-star WR David Washington (No. 46 WR)
Utah has the fewest commits of any Pac-12 team with just eight, but the Utes’ class is headlined by a pair of four-star prospects. That includes one of the top-rated quarterback commits in the conference in Wilson, the younger brother of New York Jets quarterback and former BYU star Zach Wilson.
From Ivins: “A bit surprising to be ranked behind some Group of Five programs after inking the program’s best class ever last year, but only a handful of guys actually committed. Top247 tackle Isaiah Garcia kind of the prospect I have circled for them. Given the recent on-field success, the Utes need to keep him home.”

KENTUCKY WILDCATS​

National rank: No. 44
SEC rank: No. 15
Headliners: 4-star LB Elijah Groves (No. 144 overall, No. 14 LB); 4-star QB Cutter Boley (No. 21 QB); 4-star CB Terhyon Nichols (No. 27 CB)
Kentucky’s 14-player class is headlined by a trio of four-star prospects, two of whom committed on back-to-back days to kick off this month in Groves and Nichols. Mark Stoops and company also beat out Florida State, Michigan, Penn State and Tennessee to land the top-ranked prospect in their home state in Boley, a former 2025 prospect who reclassified to 2024.
From Ivins: “Coming out of May, I was a bit worried about the Wildcats, but they quickly answered. Love the two linebackers — Elijah Groves and Antwan Smith. Both can run. Jiquavious Marshall and Quaysheed Scott, on the other hand, are two defensive backs with traits. Mark Stoops wants to develop guys.”
From Wiltfong: “This Kentucky class is full of future difference-makers particularly at linebacker in Elijah Groves and Antwan Smith who is one of the fastest second-level defenders. Those two and four-star cornerback Terhyon Nichols are high upside prospects that we’ve seen develop under Mark Stoops and company and help them win a lot of games. They beat out big-time programs to keep four-star quarterback Cutter Boley local and college coaches are raving about high tend Willie Rodriguez behind the scenes. He is specimen that can impact as playmaking pass catcher and as a blocker attached to the line of scrimmage. Past history tells us the Wildcats will have a couple big recruiting wins at the end of the cycle as well.”

MISSOURI TIGERS​

National rank: No. 59
SEC rank: No. 16
Headliners: 4-star CB Cameron Keys (No. 226 overall, No. 18 CB); WR James Madison II (No. 49 WR)
Eli Drinkwitz and company have been picking up steam on the recruiting trail of late with nine commitments since June 30, bringing the class total to 11. Keys, who committed to the Tigers on the Fourth of July, is the lone four-star prospect in Missouri’s class.
From Ivins: “This might come as a surprise, but I think this class has a little more juice than the one the Tigers assembled last cycle. Cameron Keys is a potential CB1 while Cam Dooley and Jackson Hancock were two more nice defensive evaluations by the folks in Columbia.”
From Wiltfong: “Missouri has had some really nice recruiting wins on the trail this cycle including Top247 cornerback Cameron Keys and coveted linebacker Brian Huff among others, and there are two potential five-stars out there the Tigers are in the top two for right now in in-state products in defensive end Williams Nwaneri and receiver Ryan Wingo who they could ultimately add down the road.”

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider

INDIANAPOLIS - Matt Rhule walked into Lucas Oil Stadium for Big Ten Media Day on Thursday with a great deal of excitement regarding the future of his Nebraska program. He talked about the days when the Huskers were feared, and that with the outstanding facilities on the way and things the administration is putting in place, his regime can get the Huskers back to that level.

Since the day he was hired, Rhule and his first-year staff have been hunting for players to help the program get back to those heights.

“I think we are continuing to reinvigorate and build the offensive line,” Rhule told 247Sports. He currently holds 247Sports’s No. 19 class in the 2024 cycle after signing the No. 25 haul in a short time’s work in 2023. “I think that we continue to add speed, especially in the secondary and you know what I’ve learned being in the NFL and being around Stephon Gilmore and Jaycee Horn and those kind of guys is that it’s talent but it’s also their mindset and also their intelligence and I feel we’ve been able to add some big, fast rangy guys. I don’t know if they’re going to be corners or they’re going to be linebackers. That’s a cool thing when you can’t tell what position they’re going to be.

“Our whole formula is we want to build big and physical offensive and defensive lines and put speed around them. I think we’re doing that. I think we got the right quarterback for us, the guy that’s going to lead this thing.”

As Rhule and Nebraska work to take back respect in the college football landscape, they have a blue-print for how they’ve attacked the trail.

“I think No. 1 is making a real priority in-state,” Rhule said. Five of the six top-ranked players are committed in the 2024 cycle headlined by Top247 tight end Carter Nelson and four-star quarterback Daniel Kaelin. “Then No. 2 making inroads into Texas. No. 3 establishing ourselves in Florida. I always feel like you have to go through a recruiting cycle to really feel where the natural ties are. For us in-state for us is also really St. Louis and Kansas City to reestablish ourselves in Nebraska, get down to Texas and get out to Florida, I think is really good for us.”

The familiarity Rhule and his staff have with each other creates a comfortable environment for prospects on campus.

“I think when people come to visit us they recognize No. 1 Terrance Knighton and Evan Cooper, these guys they had jobs and they picked up and moved to follow me to Nebraska.so if they did it, it makes sense to (recruits). No. 2 I think when they’re around us I have 13 former players working for me from the weight room. I think they see this is a long-term relationship. There is a sense of loyalty and a sense of purpose. I think they like the energy, they like the vibe, parents I think they feel that. Kids they feel that. It’s not for everybody but I think they feel the vibe we have going and feel this is a good place. It’s not for everybody but I think they feel that vibe we have going and feel this is a good place. That’s important to me. You hear a lot about culture. My former players are the best probably representation of what we stand for.”

Rhule has a track record of turning programs around, taking Temple to new heights and restoring Baylor to being a contender in the Big 12. Starts with the grass-roots recruiting efforts.

“We evaluate how we evaluate man,” Rhule said. “Our camps are really important to us. We had 3,000 kids come to camp. We had kids show up to camp run 4.38 and broad jump 10-4 and have no offers. We trust our eyes, we trust what we see and we verify it with numbers. I think all those steps we’ve been doing it together for a long time. I think the secret sauce for us, we’ve been doing it a long time, is Evan Cooper. Coop basically runs most of that for me. It’s me and him and the coaches.”

Beyond that, the Nebraska staff does as good a job as any in the country of connecting with top targets.

“I think I tried to share with them really our purpose,” Rhule said of the way he talks to recruits. “I want them to understand while we want to win and everything, really at the end of the day, the player having a better life because they came there is the most important thing for us.

“I think we try to always make sure every player understands this is our vision for you and this is our plan for you. Because coaches say ‘we want you so bad,’ it’s all about them. What you can do for me. My thing is this is how I’m going to help you become a pro. This is how I’m going to help you become the best at what you do. Having a detailed plan for each kid I think makes it personalized and that’s what kids want.”

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG

INDIANAPOLIS - Matt Rhule walked into Lucas Oil Stadium for Big Ten Media Day on Thursday with a great deal of excitement regarding the future of his Nebraska program. He talked about the days when the Huskers were feared, and that with the outstanding facilities on the way and things the administration is putting in place, his regime can get the Huskers back to that level.

Since the day he was hired, Rhule and his first-year staff have been hunting for players to help the program get back to those heights.

“I think we are continuing to reinvigorate and build the offensive line,” Rhule told 247Sports. He currently holds 247Sports’s No. 19 class in the 2024 cycle after signing the No. 25 haul in a short time’s work in 2023. “I think that we continue to add speed, especially in the secondary and you know what I’ve learned being in the NFL and being around Stephon Gilmore and Jaycee Horn and those kind of guys is that it’s talent but it’s also their mindset and also their intelligence and I feel we’ve been able to add some big, fast rangy guys. I don’t know if they’re going to be corners or they’re going to be linebackers. That’s a cool thing when you can’t tell what position they’re going to be.

“Our whole formula is we want to build big and physical offensive and defensive lines and put speed around them. I think we’re doing that. I think we got the right quarterback for us, the guy that’s going to lead this thing.”

As Rhule and Nebraska work to take back respect in the college football landscape, they have a blue-print for how they’ve attacked the trail.

“I think No. 1 is making a real priority in-state,” Rhule said. Five of the six top-ranked players are committed in the 2024 cycle headlined by Top247 tight end Carter Nelson and four-star quarterback Daniel Kaelin. “Then No. 2 making inroads into Texas. No. 3 establishing ourselves in Florida. I always feel like you have to go through a recruiting cycle to really feel where the natural ties are. For us in-state for us is also really St. Louis and Kansas City to reestablish ourselves in Nebraska, get down to Texas and get out to Florida, I think is really good for us.”

The familiarity Rhule and his staff have with each other creates a comfortable environment for prospects on campus.

“I think when people come to visit us they recognize No. 1 Terrance Knighton and Evan Cooper, these guys they had jobs and they picked up and moved to follow me to Nebraska.so if they did it, it makes sense to (recruits). No. 2 I think when they’re around us I have 13 former players working for me from the weight room. I think they see this is a long-term relationship. There is a sense of loyalty and a sense of purpose. I think they like the energy, they like the vibe, parents I think they feel that. Kids they feel that. It’s not for everybody but I think they feel the vibe we have going and feel this is a good place. It’s not for everybody but I think they feel that vibe we have going and feel this is a good place. That’s important to me. You hear a lot about culture. My former players are the best probably representation of what we stand for.”

Rhule has a track record of turning programs around, taking Temple to new heights and restoring Baylor to being a contender in the Big 12. Starts with the grass-roots recruiting efforts.

“We evaluate how we evaluate man,” Rhule said. “Our camps are really important to us. We had 3,000 kids come to camp. We had kids show up to camp run 4.38 and broad jump 10-4 and have no offers. We trust our eyes, we trust what we see and we verify it with numbers. I think all those steps we’ve been doing it together for a long time. I think the secret sauce for us, we’ve been doing it a long time, is Evan Cooper. Coop basically runs most of that for me. It’s me and him and the coaches.”

Beyond that, the Nebraska staff does as good a job as any in the country of connecting with top targets.

“I think I tried to share with them really our purpose,” Rhule said of the way he talks to recruits. “I want them to understand while we want to win and everything, really at the end of the day, the player having a better life because they came there is the most important thing for us.

“I think we try to always make sure every player understands this is our vision for you and this is our plan for you. Because coaches say ‘we want you so bad,’ it’s all about them. What you can do for me. My thing is this is how I’m going to help you become a pro. This is how I’m going to help you become the best at what you do. Having a detailed plan for each kid I think makes it personalized and that’s what kids want.”

I need to dive in and see what Rhule's staff retention is like. Loyalty has been perceived as a negative around Nebraska coaches for a long time.

One of the obvious benefits of his setup is the fact that staff members aren't going to get poached as easily. That's great if they're good coaches, obviously a negative if they're not. The big caveat being that all reports suggest that Rhule won't abide dead weight on his coaching staff which has been a recurring fan gripe.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
I need to dive in and see what Rhule's staff retention is like. Loyalty has been perceived as a negative around Nebraska coaches for a long time.

One of the obvious benefits of his setup is the fact that staff members aren't going to get poached as easily. That's great if they're good coaches, obviously a negative if they're not. The big caveat being that all reports suggest that Rhule won't abide dead weight on his coaching staff which has been a recurring fan gripe.
He does have coaches leave; they normally get significant promotions when they do.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
He does have coaches leave; they normally get significant promotions when they do.
Any that would fit the mold of the current staff? i.e. former players that became coaches etc?

Fargo Husker

Quarterback
Elite Member
Any that would fit the mold of the current staff? i.e. former players that became coaches etc?
The main one that comes to mind is Elijah Robinson. Rhule knew him from Penn State(?) or Temple(?) and hired him on to his staff at Temple. He’s since gone on to be one of the best recruiters and highly paid DL coaches at A&M.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member

I think there's a thought that Terrance Knighton may not last long, because of how good he is. Some thought that he may end up getting an NFL gig. Phil Simpson is the obvious replacement if that were to happen.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
The main one that comes to mind is Elijah Robinson. Rhule knew him from Penn State(?) or Temple(?) and hired him on to his staff at Temple. He’s since gone on to be one of the best recruiters and highly paid DL coaches at A&M.
I believe he played at PSU and then worked with Rhule at Temple.

Something about guys who played for Rhule and then coached under Rhule feels like a step above that from a loyalty standpoint. But I think that's a good example of the Rhule tree's success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds