Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

I have a question. Isn't Washington already the national champion now? (1 Viewer)

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
*in my best Joe Pesci voice

"I'm trying understand here, maybe I'm a little fucked up...."

Isn't Washington already the champion now? I mean Michigan cheated to get where they are. Their coach was suspended by their conference for .....reasons.....
There is an investigation and the NCAA is going to either have to ignore the cheating or make Michigan vacate those wins.

I mean I follow sports pretty closely and I still can't understand why it's business as usual and people are going on like that stuff never happened. The fucking FBI was involved at one point. People lost their jobs.

WTF am I missing? Are we really gonna play all the games out and then announce what was going on later? Am I taking crazy pills?

Can somebody clue me in?

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
They were never going to assume guilt and then hold them out of the playoffs
Ok...that's cool....I get that....but so are we really gonna have a team vacate a national fucking championship? Or if they win is it all just going to be swept under the rug and never discussed again? Like "too big to fail" but for sports. Welp they just won so many games that we had to let them get away with it because it would be messy to try to make things right.

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
*in my best Joe Pesci voice

"I'm trying understand here, maybe I'm a little fucked up...."

Isn't Washington already the champion now? I mean Michigan cheated to get where they are. Their coach was suspended by their conference for .....reasons.....
There is an investigation and the NCAA is going to either have to ignore the cheating or make Michigan vacate those wins.

I mean I follow sports pretty closely and I still can't understand why it's business as usual and people are going on like that stuff never happened. The fucking FBI was involved at one point. People lost their jobs.

WTF am I missing? Are we really gonna play all the games out and then announce what was going on later? Am I taking crazy pills?

Can somebody clue me in?

Greenberg and his crew talked about this on his show this morning. They were in agreement that we can now all look the other way and the title is legit. Primarily because of who they beat after they were outed for cheating.

Although I don't agree with it, this outcome is fairly predictable.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Ok...that's cool....I get that....but so are we really gonna have a team vacate a national fucking championship? Or if they win is it all just going to be swept under the rug and never discussed again? Like "too big to fail" but for sports. Welp they just won so many games that we had to let them get away with it because it would be messy to try to make things right.
I assume the NCAA is going under the model of the story gets way more buzz than the retraction, so yeah.

I can't remember a title that was so obviously or perhaps I should say should obviously be vacated based on what we know today, but the system isn't really built to handle it in real time.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm with you OP, the way that the situation is just barreling forward as if nothing happened is kinda crazy haha.
It's crazy up against the backdrop of having an open investigation on the talent acquisition side (covid era recruiting violations) and in game violations (illegal scouting) combined with Harbs being on the hot seat prior that we're just going to pretend this is on the up and up

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
It's crazy up against the backdrop of having an open investigation on the talent acquisition side (covid era recruiting violations) and in game violations (illegal scouting) combined with Harbs being on the hot seat prior that we're just going to pretend this is on the up and up

It would be so "Michigan" to win it all by doing that shit and then spend the next several decades whining that people don't respect their program enough

doublewing

Running Back
Texas or Washington would have beaten Michigan yesterday by 10 points. Alabama took them to overtime with terrible playcalling, a center who couldn't consistently snap it to the QB, and a QB that was 50% playmaker, 50% dogshit.

I worry about Washington's loss of their RB but think they win next week.

BIGSTICK67

Elite Member
tPB OG
It would be so "Michigan" to win it all by doing that shit and then spend the next several decades whining that people don't respect their program enough
You must know more about that program/school that most - ha ha!

My cousins are all M alums. Great people and not the typical arrogant Michigan fan. BUT, they have a build in excuse for everything. Every. fucking. thing. 9 times out of 10 the refs are out to get them - which is rich coming from a Michigan fan.

DrinkItIn

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
I doubt there will be any consequences. Both Houston and the Patriots were caught cheating, yet their championships weren't vacated.

BIGSTICK67

Elite Member
tPB OG
You can cheat and basically nothing happens so let’s get after it!!
Truth.

My mind would potentially change if the NCAA came back in 2025 and vacated most of their wins. I just don't see that happening.

Whatever happened to KU basketball - nothing. Rules of the game don't seem to matter any more.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm just ready for the broadcast talking about how much they overcame to win it all even though every obstacle in their way was totally of their own doing from being cheating bastards

BIGSTICK67

Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm just ready for the broadcast talking about how much they overcame to win it all even though every obstacle in their way was totally of their own doing from being cheating bastards
For all we know Harbaugh was playing 4-D chess and did this all intentionally (including the intent of getting caught mid-season), so that he could circle the wagons and play the "us against the world" mantra. And he knew that getting caught would mean absolutely nothing.

Probably a tin foil hat stretch, but the prevailing consensus is that you can cheat and get away with it.

TheXHerb

Bench Warmer
We all do realize that Alabama (and likely every top team in the P5 conferences) have been cheating in the recruiting game for like 30 years right? Sure, Michigan's was a differerent kind of cheating, but I dont' consider that any different that what has always been going on under the covers in the game that matters the most; recruiting. Dominant teams are only dominant because they recruited well for a period of time. Show me a top 5 teams that hasn't tampered, paid for, or bag-man'd players to get where they are, and I'll back down from this. But it's obvious cheating has been part of the process of winning a national championship for decades. Even we cheated with ROIDS back in the day.

I can't blame Michigan for anything they did any worse than any other contender in the last 20 years.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
For all we know Harbaugh was playing 4-D chess and did this all intentionally (including the intent of getting caught mid-season), so that he could circle the wagons and play the "us against the world" mantra. And he knew that getting caught would mean absolutely nothing.

Probably a tin foil hat stretch, but the prevailing consensus is that you can cheat and get away with it.
Behind every champion is the pathological fake grievance that drives them

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
We all do realize that Alabama (and likely every top team in the P5 conferences) have been cheating in the recruiting game for like 30 years right? Sure, Michigan's was a differerent kind of cheating, but I dont' consider that any different that what has always been going on under the covers in the game that matters the most; recruiting. Dominant teams are only dominant because they recruited well for a period of time. Show me a top 5 teams that hasn't tampered, paid for, or bag-man'd players to get where they are, and I'll back down from this. But it's obvious cheating has been part of the process of winning a national championship for decades. Even we cheated with ROIDS back in the day.

I can't blame Michigan for anything they did any worse than any other contender in the last 20 years.
You're asking for someone to prove a negative, which isn't exactly possible. I don't doubt that almost every team in CFB and especially those at the top have bent the rules and probably broken their fair share of them, but for me personally it comes down to how blatant you have to be to get caught multiple times by an organization like the NCAA.

Even so, the "advanced scouting" operation likely provided a competitive advantage far beyond what bag men etc could ever. Teams decipher signals, dudes like Venables have been accused for years of crossing the line and yet not one other school has had an intern with laminated sheets of signs standing next to their coordinators.

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
Ok...that's cool....I get that....but so are we really gonna have a team vacate a national fucking championship?
Isn't there already precidence for this? Didn't USC have to vacate their championship in the mid-2000s?

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds