Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Question about bowls? (1 Viewer)

Mr.Bojangles

Offensive Lineman
With Army and Navy sitting at 5-6 and the winner getting to 6 wins why not just wait and fill the final bowl slot with one of those? Instead of just handing it to Minnesota at 5-7.

Mr.Bojangles

Offensive Lineman
I’m guessing the winner of the Army Navy game is already slotted to go to some bowl game named Armed forces or some other nice generic patriotic name sponsored by your favorite defense contractor corporation. 🇺🇸 🥳
I think all bowls are slated though if I'm seeing right.

That SOB Van Owen

In Mombasa drinkin’ gin
Elite Member
tPB OG
It is because the army/Navy game doesn’t count towards bowl eligibility because it’s played after the conference championship weekend. So Army and Navy need 6 wins going into the game to achieve bowl eligibility. It’s not like you can count on them both being 5-6 each year. If only one of them is 5-6, you can’t “hold” a spot for them while keeping another team in limbo on if their season is over or not.

Mr.Bojangles

Offensive Lineman
It is because the army/Navy game doesn’t count towards bowl eligibility because it’s played after the conference championship weekend. So Army and Navy need 6 wins going into the game to achieve bowl eligibility. It’s not like you can count on them both being 5-6 each year. If only one of them is 5-6, you can’t “hold” a spot for them while keeping another team in limbo on if their season is over or not.
I get that but if they are both 5-6 the spot should go to one of them instead of a 5-7.

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
The game counts for bowl eligibility, but it happens after bowl selections are made, so the rules for allowing a 5-7 team to go to a bowl are allowed before the game is played.

Army would not be eligible even with a win, 2 of their wins are against FCS teams and only 1 counts towards bowl eligibility.

A bowl could put in a contingency for Navy in case they win, but no bowl did. A bowl game did that for Army a few years past, where if Army won they got the bowl, if they lost UCLA did.

There are a few articles about it. Here's one. LINK

IM4NUALWAYS

Linebacker
Elite Member
With Army and Navy sitting at 5-6 and the winner getting to 6 wins why not just wait and fill the final bowl slot with one of those? Instead of just handing it to Minnesota at 5-7.
I thinnk one of them or maybe both played to many small schools to qualify the wins.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds