Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Scholarship to NIL Question... (1 Viewer)

jaihawk

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
@ShortSideOption mentioned this as a possibility in his most recent blog.

However, I did hear one good conspiracy theory. Nebraska has to count Appleget towards the 85 as he signed out of high school, they can’t move him to NIL. But if he enters his name in the transfer portal, Rhule and staff are released of their obligation. Can he now move to an NIL situation and not count towards the 85? Is a local kid helping out his local team?

@Carm any idea if this might be a loophole?

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
Even if this is somehow illegal what we have come to find out is that if you do terrible illegal things that bring into question the integrity of the entire sport they just make your coach stay at home for 3 weeks then reward you with a shot at the championship so I say do it no matter what the rules say.

Stan Raymond

Cornerback

However, I did hear one good conspiracy theory. Nebraska has to count Appleget towards the 85 as he signed out of high school, they can’t move him to NIL. But if he enters his name in the transfer portal, Rhule and staff are released of their obligation. Can he now move to an NIL situation and not count towards the 85? Is a local kid helping out his local team?

Yes I do believe that is a legit loophole.

ShortSideOption

Linebacker
Insider

That just is way too big of a loophole for me to believe. I think if you sign with the school out of high school you count towards the 85 as long as you are on the team. But someone else probably already answered.

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
That just is way too big of a loophole for me to believe. I think if you sign with the school out of high school you count towards the 85 as long as you are on the team. But someone else probably already answered.
Not a whole lot different than a NFL player getting released, then resigned to the practice squad.

Once a player is in the transfer portal, the scholarship can be cancelled. That player can be contacted and go anywhere, if he wants to and is allowed to then he can come back to the original school as a walkon or given a scholarship. It might have already happened with IGC and Butler.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG

I don’t think it works. Two reasons: 1) he was still recruited. 2) we have to accept a transfer’s former school’s scholarship promise. It isn’t extinguished by going into the portal. It goes with the player to his new destination,

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
There likely isn’t room for Appleget to come back anyway. We have to be down to 120 total players on the roster by 8/1 for Nebraska to be in Title IX compliance

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yep he getting NIL without a scholarship makes you a counter

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
I don’t think it works. Two reasons: 1) he was still recruited. 2) we have to accept a transfer’s former school’s scholarship promise. It isn’t extinguished by going into the portal. It goes with the player to his new destination,
2. Only if you give the guy a scholarship. A player can be a scholarship player, go in the portal then be a walkon at a different school. So why not the same school?

Was Oliver Martin a counter his first year here when he walked on?

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
2. Only if you give the guy a scholarship. A player can be a scholarship player, go in the portal then be a walkon at a different school. So why not the same school?

Was Oliver Martin a counter his first year here when he walked on?
The rule was changed last fall so that a school who takes someone from the portal has to assume his former school’s scholarship obligation.

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
The rule was changed last fall so that a school who takes someone from the portal has to assume his former school’s scholarship obligation.
If they offer the player a scholarship.

So you are saying if a kid goes into the portal he can't walk on anywhere? Once he has a scholarship then any school he goes to has that obligation, even if they don't offer him a scholarship? I don't think that is correct.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
If they offer the player a scholarship.

So you are saying if a kid goes into the portal he can't walk on anywhere? Once he has a scholarship then any school he goes to has that obligation, even if they don't offer him a scholarship? I don't think that is correct.
I’ll check again in the morning but I am sure you can’t from P5 to P5 without a scholarship carrying over. It was intentional.

Scholarships are only guaranteed for one year outside of P5.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
BTW the rule change was enacted after the most recent D1 manual was published so the rule is in the online legislation database not the pdf manual

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds