Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Hoiberg to Okie ST and A&M to BIG? (1 Viewer)

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
This guy posts a lot of crazy stuff about realignment, and then claims victory when one of 890 things he said hits.

Having said that, I absolutely believe A&M would like to get away from Texas, and my understanding is there is no exit fee in the SEC because they figure nobody wants to leave.
Holy shit. It's Sir Yacht

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
Can someone explain to me why A&M wants nothing to do with Texas?

I understand they are histotical hated rivals. Half of the lyrics of A&M's fight song is mocking Texas. But playing your hated rival every year is half the fun of college football, and beating them can make your whole year.

But A&M appears to be so afraid of the possibility of losing to Texas that they don't even want to risk playing them? And if it's not fear of losing to them, what is it? Most long-time rivalries bend over backwards to preserve them (ie Michigan-Ohio State and numerous other Big Ten rivalries that have been "protected"). But A&M seems hell bent on not ever crossing paths with their rival.

What gives?

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Can someone explain to me why A&M wants nothing to do with Texas?

I understand they are histotical hated rivals. Half of the lyrics of A&M's fight song is mocking Texas. But playing your hated rival every year is half the fun of college football, and beating them can make your whole year.

But A&M appears to be so afraid of the possibility of losing to Texas that they don't even want to risk playing them? And if it's not fear of losing to them, what is it? Most long-time rivalries bend over backwards to preserve them (ie Michigan-Ohio State and numerous other Big Ten rivalries that have been "protected"). But A&M seems hell bent on not ever crossing paths with their rival.

What gives?
I think it's simply competitive advantage - they want to be in a P2 conference as the only TX school. Gives them a recruiting advantage that will help them win in that conference.

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
Aggies being told if they make this move will have veto power if Texas tries to move again.

I think there's a word missing from this sentence, but I have no idea what it is trying to convey. The Big Ten will give TAM veto power if Texas tries to join? The SEC will give TAM veto power if it stays in the SEC (but Texas has already joined?) Who is giving them veto power? Is the missing word "not," so they will not have veto power?
I thought I was the only one confused. Good post.

BIGSTICK67

Elite Member
tPB OG
Fred is t6th highest paid coach in the B1G.

1) Izzo $6.2M
2) Underwood $4.6M
3) Willard $3.9M
4) Painter $3.55M
5) Gard $3.55M
6) Hoiberg $3.5M
6) Holtman $3.5M

He's overpaid, currently.
It's like @Carm said, it'll piss some people off - or at least have some disagree. But if he wins 20-25 games other teams will come after him. We may not hear about it, but I think it's more about the trend than the body of his work.

This particular link shows how Fred's teams trend, and it's historically been upwards. He started shitty, but seems to have figured some things out. Again, I think it's about how he's trended - as opposed to his overall record at Nebraska.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think it's simply competitive advantage - they want to be in a P2 conference as the only TX school. Gives them a recruiting advantage that will help them win in that conference.
That's probably the majority but I also think they're bitter with how Texas destroyed the Big 12.

Driveway Jordan

Wide Receiver
Insider
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
Fred is t6th highest paid coach in the B1G.

1) Izzo $6.2M
2) Underwood $4.6M
3) Willard $3.9M
4) Painter $3.55M
5) Gard $3.55M
6) Hoiberg $3.5M
6) Holtman $3.5M

He's overpaid, currently.
I dont think he's overpaid based on the difficulty of the job. Has he underperformed? Sure. But those can be mutually exclusive.

PonyBoy

Cornerback
Insider
It's like @Carm said, it'll piss some people off - or at least have some disagree. But if he wins 20-25 games other teams will come after him. We may not hear about it, but I think it's more about the trend than the body of his work.

This particular link shows how Fred's teams trend, and it's historically been upwards. He started shitty, but seems to have figured some things out. Again, I think it's about how he's trended - as opposed to his overall record at Nebraska.

I didn't mention his body of work or trend. He's been paid top half money and we took the brunt of it for 3 1/2 years. Yes I'm aware we adjusted it and he agreed to it. Fred doesn't strike me as a guy to turn on Alberts/Nebraska after they've had his back during the worst 3 year run in our poor history. His college coaching career was done 13 months ago, Turd kept it alive and most likely because Frost was canned.

Fred really likes Lincoln/NU. Carol loves it. Sam has 2 years left and his roots are deep. Unless Fred makes the NCAA, or wins a couple games in the NIT, the only aspect of his contract that should be adjusted is an extension. Maybe a $200K or so raise. I don't see him leaving for another college job. It's the NBA where his eyes continue to be on.

BIGSTICK67

Elite Member
tPB OG
I didn't mention his body of work or trend. He's been paid top half money and we took the brunt of it for 3 1/2 years. Yes I'm aware we adjusted it and he agreed to it. Fred doesn't strike me as a guy to turn on Alberts/Nebraska after they've had his back during the worst 3 year run in our poor history. His college coaching career was done 13 months ago, Turd kept it alive and most likely because Frost was canned.

Fred really likes Lincoln/NU. Carol loves it. Sam has 2 years left and his roots are deep. Unless Fred makes the NCAA, or wins a couple games in the NIT, the only aspect of his contract that should be adjusted is an extension. Maybe a $200K or so raise. I don't see him leaving for another college job. It's the NBA where his eyes continue to be on.
Good post. I think two things (or more) can be true at once.

As @Driveway Jordan said...based on the difficulty of the job he's not overpaid, and I happen to agree. I'm not an AD, so I simply have an opinion vs. professional knowledge of what should be appropriate.

The following can be true.
  • He's tied for the 6th highest paid coach - fact
  • Overpaid/underpaid. We disagree on this, but let's say he wins 23 games and has a win in the NCAA...then people will think he's underpaid because others will come after him
  • If he wins 20 and bounces in the B1G tourney and goes to the NIT, many will consider him overpaid
  • Considering the difficulty of the job he may actually be appropriately paid.
  • He basically sucked for 3.5 years - fact
  • His teams trend upward - fact
  • He coaches at a school that is the most historically abysmal school in CBB - fact
I agree though, I think he likes Lincoln and we have an AD that he has a lot of respect for. Let's just hope he wins 20-25 and gets us to the dance and wins one. Then suddenly nobody will care that he's tied for 6th highest compensation.

PonyBoy

Cornerback
Insider
I dont think he's overpaid based on the difficulty of the job. Has he underperformed? Sure. But those can be mutually exclusive.

Difficulty is the history, and stops there. We have everything a coach wants; top line facilities, top line conference and a top line fan base. I'm not aware of any Husker hoops fan that didn't expect Nebraska to make any tournament in Hoibergs first 4 seasons and I'm not sure anyone would've signed up for that when he was hired.

Year 5 is extremely fun. It's also allowing people to recreate expectations that they once had in 2019. And that's okay, as long as they're truthful about it.

I like the change post Doc, Matt & Armon. I believe Fred hit grandslams with the 3 new assistants as well as his change as a Head Coach. Much more enjoyable.

PonyBoy

Cornerback
Insider
Good post. I think two things (or more) can be true at once.

As @Driveway Jordan said...based on the difficulty of the job he's not overpaid, and I happen to agree. I'm not an AD, so I simply have an opinion vs. professional knowledge of what should be appropriate.

The following can be true.
  • He's tied for the 6th highest paid coach - fact
  • Overpaid/underpaid. We disagree on this, but let's say he wins 23 games and has a win in the NCAA...then people will think he's underpaid because others will come after him
  • If he wins 20 and bounces in the B1G tourney and goes to the NIT, many will consider him overpaid
  • Considering the difficulty of the job he may actually be appropriately paid.
  • He basically sucked for 3.5 years - fact
  • His teams trend upward - fact
  • He coaches at a school that is the most historically abysmal school in CBB - fact
I agree though, I think he likes Lincoln and we have an AD that he has a lot of respect for. Let's just hope he wins 20-25 and gets us to the dance and wins one. Then suddenly nobody will care that he's tied for 6th highest compensation.

Really good post!!

Only bullet point I disagree is, is your last. Northwestern was no different, prior to Collins taking over. He got them 20 wins in year 3, took them dancing for the first time ever in year 4 & not only that, they won a game. Could be similar situations, close to the hot seat & Head Coach responds.

One can easily say the NW job is/was way more difficult than Nebraska. We have facilities & fan base, neither are comparable between the schools. Heck, NW also has higher admission standards which also impact their ability to recruit.

Regardless, your post is spot on.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
The Disney concentration is an issue but let's be real. If Disney didn't come through for the SEC they would have no problem getting TV contracts with anyone else.
Yup, but would you rather make less and be in a less secure position?

Like I take the info as 10% something happens, but thought it was interesting.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG

I got no problem with paying Fred now. Dude is a good guy, runs a relatively clean program. I do not expect the world from Nebrasketball....just NCAA tournament 2 out of every 5 yrs. NIT other 3.

My problem is anyone acting like Fred was unfairly treated to this point. Fred is still here but by the grace of God himself. He's EXTREMELY fortunate he didn't get fired in those first 4 seasons. His results were that bad.

Fred gas been treated 10000% fairly by UNL. If anything we were too nice in keeping him. I like the dude though & am fine with paying him more now.

BIGSTICK67

Elite Member
tPB OG
I got no problem with paying Fred now. Dude is a good guy, runs a relatively clean program. I do not expect the world from Nebrasketball....just NCAA tournament 2 out of every 5 yrs. NIT other 3.

My problem is anyone acting like Fred was unfairly treated to this point. Fred is still here but by the grace of God himself. He's EXTREMELY fortunate he didn't get fired in those first 4 seasons. His results were that bad.

Fred gas been treated 10000% fairly by UNL. If anything we were too nice in keeping him. I like the dude though & am fine with paying him more now.
1706136753694.jpeg

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yup, but would you rather make less and be in a less secure position?

Like I take the info as 10% something happens, but thought it was interesting.
I think if Disney was out of the equation the B1G would suffer just as much as the SEC. Would just depend how many years wers left on the existing contract.

Unlikely this is a real conversation anyway.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider

I don’t care what anyone makes. It ain’t my money.

BIGSTICK67

Elite Member
tPB OG
I don’t care what anyone makes. It ain’t my money.
True. I've never understood that mentality.

We used to have a Marketing Director who ordered our swag for conferences. She'd go ape shit when we'd give someone two items - because they kindly asked...or it was appropriate. It was a running joke in our company that she was the swag Nazi.
giphy.gif

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds