Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

New Commit Hall & McMorris are N (1 Viewer)

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
Lmao I can take it. This board acts in extremes and if you question anything you are all out and a dumbfuck. Every conversation has a line drawn in the sand and you have to stand on one side or the other.

Mike Schaefer summarized my thoughts perfectly. It’s unprecedented to take commits in June that don’t have other P5 or FCS offers. He also insinuated that McMorris and Hall didn’t have other options so its not like the media and others aren’t skeptical of some of the things happening.

I’m glad we landed Hall & McMorris and those are solid pickups even if their current offers had dwindled.

Relevant discussion starts at about 20 minute mark if anyone is interested

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I have not been on tPB very long, but I’m impressed by the accuracy of the inside information on here. @HuskerGarrett et al, thank you. GBR
correct breaking bad GIF

Gman1228

Linebacker
Elite Member
Hall and McMorris didn't have options?

Okay, so they couldn't commit to Tennessee and Oklahoma (today) but they could land just about anywhere they wanted in the Power 5. KSU would have taken Hall's commit in a nano second.

Secondly-

Rhule and his staff have a philosophy that has worked for them since 2013. They evaluate and project guys, it's what they do.

This isn't Frost coaching Mike Hughes for 2 years and saying he developed him, or the Griffin brothers.

Haasan Reddick was an unrated athlete they developed into a top 10 pass rusher in the NFL. BJ Thompson was drafted by the Chiefs and he was originally a Baylor commit with Rhule. PJ Walker, NFL. There are so many dudes that weren't highly recruited that he has welcomed into the program. They won't all hit but when you add athletic guys that have great size and length, the one's that do hit, hit big.

He literally told us this is what he would do. I question those who weren't listening, not the staff backing up their words with actions.
I have no idea what options Hall & McMorris actually had but Schaefer is normally dialed in.

For your second part, I agree that this staff will develop dudes but to compete where we want to compete you need a Hassan Reddick damn near every year. Schaefer’s point is the more offers you put out there to kids that aren’t recruited the more misses you are going to have. I’m sure this staff is excellent at evaluating but even with that being the case the more you move down the talent ladder the more misses you will have.

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
Hall and McMorris didn't have options?

Okay, so they couldn't commit to Tennessee and Oklahoma (today) but they could land just about anywhere they wanted in the Power 5. KSU would have taken Hall's commit in a nano second.

Secondly-

Rhule and his staff have a philosophy that has worked for them since 2013. They evaluate and project guys, it's what they do.

This isn't Frost coaching Mike Hughes for 2 years and saying he developed him, or the Griffin brothers.

Haasan Reddick was an unrated athlete they developed into a top 10 pass rusher in the NFL. BJ Thompson was drafted by the Chiefs and he was originally a Baylor commit with Rhule. PJ Walker, NFL. There are so many dudes that weren't highly recruited that he has welcomed into the program. They won't all hit but when you add athletic guys that have great size and length, the one's that do hit, hit big.

He literally told us this is what he would do. I question those who weren't listening, not the staff backing up their words with actions.
1,000% committed to this post.

Prude only had an E. Illinois offer and then after getting evaluated post-commit he's a high three star. Did that become a good pick-up over night? Same thing happened with Brice Turner last year. Maciejczak didn't have any FBS offers, and looks like he might be the steal of the class. There are way too many dudes from Nebraska + the 500 mi. radius that have killed it at other programs and gotten drafted. We've seen Wisconsin do this shit for years with under the radar local guys.

Local D1 talent should be in Lincoln. Honestly with the transfer portal it's a totally different strategy. Take the guys with promise, see if you can develop them, and if it doesn't work you can spin them out to the local FCS programs.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
the more you move down the talent ladder the more misses you will have.
although what you say is true, there is no way of for us or Schaefer to know in June after junior year if they have actually moved down the talent ladder by selecting someone who is unrated and has no offers.

They didn't just pick guys off rosters that were unrated and unoffered based on their film. That would be a truly bad idea. They spent time with these guys at camps, tested them, ran them through drills, watched them up close. They have a vastly better grasp of their athletic ability than anyone at a recruiting service, or anyone at another school that hasn't done the same thing with the player in recent months..

The recruiting services will rate them based on the offer, other schools will offer them because we have. At some point the entire line of reasoning that you need other offers to offer yourself becomes circular unless you aren't doing in-person evaluations. Then, fine, just offer players other schools have offered first, but then you have to hope they evaluate they way you would have and you cede first mover advantage.

With your own evaluation process you get first mover advantage, which is a big influence in getting some kids.

huskersoup

Linebacker
Pe
Lmao I can take it. This board acts in extremes and if you question anything you are all out and a dumbfuck. Every conversation has a line drawn in the sand and you have to stand on one side or the other.

Mike Schaefer summarized my thoughts perfectly. It’s unprecedented to take commits in June that don’t have other P5 or FCS offers. He also insinuated that McMorris and Hall didn’t have other options so its not like the media and others aren’t skeptical of some of the things happening.

I’m glad we landed Hall & McMorris and those are solid pickups even if their current offers had dwindled.

this fanbase as a whole, pays way too much attention to recruiting. Especially for where we are as a program.

Gman1228

Linebacker
Elite Member
although what you say is true, there is no way of for us or Schaefer to know in June after junior year if they have actually moved down the talent ladder by selecting someone who is unrated and has no offers.

They didn't just pick guys off rosters that were unrated and unoffered based on their film. That would be a truly bad idea. They spent time with these guys at camps, tested them, ran them through drills, watched them up close. They have a vastly better grasp of their athletic ability than anyone at a recruiting service, or anyone at another school that hasn't done the same thing with the player in recent months..

The recruiting services will rate them based on the offer, other schools will offer them because we have. At some point the entire line of reasoning that you need other offers to offer yourself becomes circular unless you aren't doing in-person evaluations. Then, fine, just offer players other schools have offered first, but then you have to hope they evaluate they way you would have and you cede first mover advantage.

With your own evaluation process you get first mover advantage, which is a big influence in getting some kids.
I don’t disagree with your logic on kids that are younger but for kids that are going to be seniors the logic doesn’t work. These kids have been evaluated by schools and were passed by and you can’t make a living signing kids like that. Rhule & Co aren’t just that much smarter than all of these local schools in Kansas or Texas.

Not sure why everyone acts like that’s some crazy logic. The more you reach the more busts you will have. I’d like to keep signing highly ranked kids (even though they’ve busted for us) because I think Rhule will develop them.

Scarlet ObsessioN

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
It’s the lifeblood of your program. Look at the kids you sign now and you have a pretty good barometer of what kind of teams you will have in the future.
Kansas State - Midwest program with lackluster history that hired a developmental/culture coach.

Using Rivals team rankings below. let's see what they have done in recent years.

2018 Class: before Klieman 52nd Nationally 3-6 record

2019 Class: 68th Nationally 8-4 record
2020 Class: 49th Nationally 4-6 record
2021 Class: 60th Nationally 8-5 record
2022 Class: 50th Nationally 10-4 record
2023 Class: 34th Nationally ??

I live in KS and I went to KSU for a year (sorry boyz). There is ZERO reason Nebraska can't find and develop talent and compete.

Fucking K-State has their program rolling.

All that said, yes Nebraska should out recruit most schools but let's find and develop talent and then when the wins come we will get the blue chippers again.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
These kids have been evaluated by schools and were passed by and you can’t make a living signing kids like that. Rhule & Co aren’t just that much smarter than all of these local schools in Kansas or Texas.
This is factually incorrect. If kids have been truly evaluated it was likely a year ago. They don’t hold camps except when it doesn’t interfere with school. The only other was to evaluate them would be to have them in for a UV or do it at their school. And even then there is no way in hell they have hit all these kids. Many of them didn’t even start playing until last year.

What kind of “evaluation “ are you saying occurred?

DrumMonkeyRobot

Cornerback
Elite Member
I don’t disagree with your logic on kids that are younger but for kids that are going to be seniors the logic doesn’t work. These kids have been evaluated by schools and were passed by and you can’t make a living signing kids like that. Rhule & Co aren’t just that much smarter than all of these local schools in Kansas or Texas.

Not sure why everyone acts like that’s some crazy logic. The more you reach the more busts you will have. I’d like to keep signing highly ranked kids (even though they’ve busted for us) because I think Rhule will develop them.
Do you mean how Pelini and then Frost evaluated Burrow?

I realize this isn't apples to apples, but kids get undervalued all the time, even in today's world.

Also, you keep saying the more you reach, the more you bust. But if you look at @ShortSideOption 's breakdown of Rhule's classes at Temple and Baylor, they busted roughly 50% of the time, which is basically the average for every single program in the country.

Next point: to call these players reaches is disingenuous. As many previous posters have pointed out, these players were evaluated in person at camps. The coaches know what they're getting, and their track record at previous programs bears this out.

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member
Kansas State - Midwest program with lackluster history that hired a developmental/culture coach.

Using Rivals team rankings below. let's see what they have done in recent years.

2018 Class: before Klieman 52nd Nationally 3-6 record

2019 Class: 68th Nationally 8-4 record
2020 Class: 49th Nationally 4-6 record
2021 Class: 60th Nationally 8-5 record
2022 Class: 50th Nationally 10-4 record
2023 Class: 34th Nationally ??

I live in KS and I went to KSU for a year (sorry boyz). There is ZERO reason Nebraska can't find and develop talent and compete.

Fucking K-State has their program rolling.

All that said, yes Nebraska should out recruit most schools but let's find and develop talent and then when the wins come we will get the blue chippers again.
Are we just going to act like the Big 12 is as tough of competition as the Big 10?? It’s a little boy conference. Frost woulda won 7-8 a year with a Little 12 schedule.

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member
Let me say it loud for the people in the back Rhule&Co DGAF about what the recruiting services have to say about potential recruits they trust their own eyes and evaluations. They have been doing this shit for years.
These assistant coaches have been doing this for years? Last i checked like 6/8 of them haven’t had a D1 college job yet

GULP THAT KOOLAID DOWN FELLAS

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds