Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Good luck to HC Mickey Joseph (2 Viewers)

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
Good luck to HC Mickey Joseph. I hope he brings some energy and discipline and organization to the program and coaches with nothing to lose. As much as I want Urban Meyer to be the guy, if Mickey turned this thing around and became the man I would be pretty happy.

FcZNDnFXkAAuAPD.jpeg

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
Say he goes 7-2 with wins against Cockeyes and Wisconsin, does that do it?
I'm pretty skeptical of Mickey because of no track record, but 7-2 would be pretty convincing.

If I'm Turd, I'd want to see him perform as well or better than what I'd expect from my best realistic coaching prospect in year one (excluding Urban, if he's realistic).

To me that feels like 8-4, or 0.66%. That's the equivalent of 6-3. At 6-3, he's done an amazing job, but I'm not sure it's definitive enough to outweigh not having a track record. At 7-2 or better, we might have found our Dabo.

herbsinator

Running Back
Elite Member
I'm pretty skeptical of Mickey because of no track record, but 7-2 would be pretty convincing.

If I'm Turd, I'd want to see him perform as well or better than what I'd expect from my best realistic coaching prospect in year one (excluding Urban, if he's realistic).

To me that feels like 8-4, or 0.66%. That's the equivalent of 6-3. At 6-3, he's done an amazing job, but I'm not sure it's definitive enough to outweigh not having a track record. At 7-2 or better, we might have found our Dabo.
If he goes 6-3, then I think you can assume we would have won the NW and GS games with Mickey. Implied 9 win season…hard to let him go.

Jay Bilzerian

Safety
Elite Member
Say he goes 7-2 with wins against Cockeyes and Wisconsin, does that do it?
I think so, yes. That’s potentially winning the West. 8-4 after this start would be impressive.

And fuck that also puts us back in the nepotism conundrum where a large portion of our fan base wants the Nebraska guy and would probably automatically be against whomever Turd brings in over Mickey.

Irv

Wide Receiver
Elite Member

NEBRASKA'S PROMOTION OF JOSEPH CAUSE FOR CELEBRATION, HOPE​

16 HOURS AGO
share on facebook
FACEBOOK
share on twitter
TWITTER
share on reddit
REDDIT
share on link
LINK
By RJ Young
FOX Sports College Football Writer

On Thursday, Oct. 9, 2008, Tommy Bowden coached his last game at Clemson.

It didn’t matter that his opponent that night, Wake Forest, was ranked No. 21 in the country, or that the Tigers lost by less than a TD — 12-7. Bowden knew he’d broken an unspoken rule as head of a Tigers program that had just dropped to 3-3.

"You can’t lose to Wake Forest on Thursday night," he said. "You just can’t."

Nearly 14 years later, Nebraska's Scott Frost also found out that there are some games you just can't lose. In his case, the breaking point was a 45-42 defeat at home against Georgia Southern, which came a week after struggling to beat FCS North Dakota, and two weeks after blowing an 11-point lead to Northwestern in Dublin, Ireland.

He was relieved of his duties on Sunday.

Whenever there is a change like this, though, there is reason for hope.

In the Tigers' case, then-Clemson athletic director Terry Don Phillips filled Bowden's spot by elevating wide receivers coach Dabo Swinney to interim head coach. It was a title Swinney thought so highly of that he told his wife that "we got fired today."

But not only did Swinney retain the job after guiding the Tigers to a 7-6 season, he has since developed Clemson into one of the most dominant programs of the last decade. Now, he seems destined for the College Football Hall of Fame when his career comes to an end.

In Nebraska's case, the next man up is Mickey Joseph. Like Swinney, Joseph has taken on the tag of interim head coach. Like Swinney, he now finds himself running a program he probably never expected to run. Like Swinney, he is the man a fan base now turns to for hope.

Now, far be it from me to anoint Joseph as a man who could match Swinney win-for-win before he’s even coached a game as interim head coach at Nebraska. But you’ll pardon me for seeing similarities that might allow the Huskers faithful to find some joy and belief in what lies in wait for the remainder of their 2022 season.

Like Swinney, Joseph is not just a receivers coach but one who is recognized as among the best in the profession.

In 2019, his LSU receiving corps featured Biletnikoff Award winner Ja’Marr Chase, Terrace Marshall and Justin Jefferson. That group is on the short list of the best units to play the game and one reason Joe Burrow went from virtual unknown to Heisman winner and No. 1 overall draft pick in 2020.

Joseph not only brought his knowledge of the position to Lincoln — along with prize LSU transfer Trey Palmer and freshman De’Coldest Crawford — but, like his predecessor, has come home to a program where he was a standout player at one of the blueblood programs in the sport.

Also like Swinney, Joseph has never served as a play-calling coordinator — offensive or defensive — in his 27 years in the profession. Odds are he’s not going to be looking to learn how to do that now.

With Joseph as the man at the front of the tunnel, there’s no question who is going to call the plays or run the offense. That’s Mark Whipple’s job.

There will be little reflection on what the first three games have been like and more emphasis on being a part that makes up the whole that is Nebraska football. Joseph’s focus will be on the team, though much will be said — and should be — about him being the first Black head coach of any sport in Nebraska’s history.

In a sport where Black men make up a large percentage of the sport, Joseph’s hire is as culturally important as it is to the win-loss record of Nebraska football.

The Big Ten will feature four Black head coaches in the same season for the first time in its history, along with the only Black commissioner of a Power 5 league. This is in a sport that features 130 FBS programs but made just three Black head-coaching hires during the last cycle.

Meanwhile, the SEC fields 14 teams without a Black head coach for the second consecutive season. And, make no mistake, college football’s two most important leagues are the SEC and the Big Ten, so they are worth comparing.

Of course, Joseph has a chance to be not just a walking, talking Black history fact, but a Nebraska legend. That will take winning.

After all, Swinney needed to win more games than he lost to have that interim tag removed from his title, and he had to keep on winning to earn anything approaching job security. Joseph will be held to the same standard.

But I would be remiss if I didn’t say, as much as it’s awful for another man to lose his job, I am thrilled for Joseph. I daresay Husker fans are too — especially if this decision by athletic director Turd Alberts returns Nebraska to being among the most-feared programs in the sport.

realbp

Linebacker
Elite Member
Folks - I have ZERO doubts that the offense will be able to move the ball and score points. The real issue is the defense and being able to stop a Class C-1 offense. I have NO confidence that the defense can be fixed at this point. In what world do we think that a single LB in the box is going to be able to fit in the run game correctly? With the DL play not being remotely good enough we had no chance to stop anyone last week. This problem isn't going away with the removal of Frost; which I completely support.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
As of September 12, 2022, Mickey obviously isn't in my top 20 choices to be our head coach.

HOWEVER, if he does enough over the next 9 games to win the job, which in my mind would probably mean AT LEAST seriously contending for the West, we will have gone through one of the most fun and legendary Husker seasons/coaching jobs of all time. So I'm all for it! Haha.

Jay Bilzerian

Safety
Elite Member
Folks - I have ZERO doubts that the offense will be able to move the ball and score points. The real issue is the defense and being able to stop a Class C-1 offense. I have NO confidence that the defense can be fixed at this point. In what world do we think that a single LB in the box is going to be able to fit in the run game correctly? With the DL play not being remotely good enough we had no chance to stop anyone last week. This problem isn't going away with the removal of Frost; which I completely support.
Where do you rate Cockeye’s offense on the NHSAA class scale? Will they explode and potentially reach double digit points for the first time all season or will our defense have their magnum opus in a 21-5 type win?

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Turd kept alluding to significant and tangible changes that Mickey taking over would send into effect.

Any idea what that realistically means? Serious question.
I'm curious too. Benning mentioned on the radio this morning that he's 99.9% sure there will be more "changes in responsibility" on the staff... It seems like it's too late to fire Chins, but then again who the hell knows? Maybe Fisher would get moved up to DC and an analyst would take over DBs or something? Not sure how far Mickey will go, but I hope he gives it all he's got to make this into a legit 9 game audition for himself.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds