Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Future of the Offense (1 Viewer)

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
So three games into the Matt Rhule era, we’ve seen what the offense is probably going to look like this year. I think we all can agree that this isn’t how the offense is suppose to look. But here we are.

My question is where do you think Rhule goes with it? Based on the type of QB we are recruiting does it give you any ideas?

All I know is that in three years we can’t be having this conversation about what our offense is suppose to look like or what we want our identity to be.

Rhule has done, in my opinion, an extremely good job with this program since he got it. But this is the area that certainly needs the most attention.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I think the variation from what we currently see is a down field passing game that needs respected, but the meat and potatoes still running the damn ball. Take 50% of the QB carries we currently see and put that on a bruising RB. I don't think Satterfield is here long term.

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
I thought the offense looked really good when we lined up in I-formation. Ervin looks better when he can run downfield with a lead blocker. I think they ran quite a bit of 2-back sets when they were at Temple

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Power spread w/ QB option is what I want but with a QB who can pass.

Think that's possible with the guys being recruited but they won't be running 20+ times a game.

What does a power spread look like with a QB option? I’m not being confrontational in the slightest, just give me a tangible example of what you’re hoping for/want?

Tonkasker

Safety
Elite Member
Cockeye
Lots of Duo/ Hat-on-Hat blocking concepts in the run game
Lots of 21 personnel
Lots of RPO
QB Archetypes - Sam Ehlinger, Charlie Brewer
Committee at RB with definitive 3rd down option

He definitely doesn't have what he wants at QB. Within 3 seconds he wants his QBs to hit two progressions and either get 4+ yards on the ground or find a checkdown. Sims might be that guy in practice but his processing speed/accuracy in games is about what I see out high schoolers. I don't think Haarberg will be that guy. Hope I'm wrong

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Lots of Duo/ Hat-on-Hat blocking concepts in the run game
Lots of 21 personnel
Lots of RPO
QB Archetypes - Sam Ehlinger, Charlie Brewer
Committee at RB with definitive 3rd down option

He definitely doesn't have what he wants at QB. Within 3 seconds he wants his QBs to hit two progressions and either get 4+ yards on the ground or find a checkdown. Sims might be that guy in practice but his processing speed/accuracy in games is about what I see out high schoolers. I don't think Haarberg will be that guy. Hope I'm wrong

So you think potentially what Tom Herman did at Ohio St and Houston but a bit more power scheme?

Toe

Wide Receiver
Is there any indication that Kaelin is or will be a running QB?

Toe

Wide Receiver
I think Satterfield wants something more like what he was running at South Carolina. (Rattler had a whole 46 yards rushing last year.) But I don't know if Rhule is strongly wed to one scheme.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
What does a power spread look like with a QB option? I’m not being confrontational in the slightest, just give me a tangible example of what you’re hoping for/want?
Power read? I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you want a team as an example?

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
This is kind of what I expected as far as the variety of answers we are getting.

It’s safe to say that we simply don’t know what’s going on offensively and what Matt Rhule actually wants.

Is this a problem?

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Power read? I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you want a team as an example?

That’s probably best. What I am thinking you’re meaning is something like what Dan Mullen ran at Utah and Florida as an OC and then with Dak Prescott at Miss St.

But I also don’t want to assume and I’ll certainly give you the opportunity to give me the team that looks like what you’re describing.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
That’s probably best. What I am thinking you’re meaning is something like what Dan Mullen ran at Utah and Florida as an OC and then with Dak Prescott at Miss St.

But I also don’t want to assume and I’ll certainly give you the opportunity to give me the team that looks like what you’re describing.
Gotcha, yeah probably a Mullen/Urban-style offense.

It feels like zone blocking has been difficult to implement and perform well lately at Nebraska. Not sure if it's the coach or the guys in the room or what. Maybe I'm off.

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
I hate to say it given how his career has gone, but I wonder if we will see something like Willie Taggart's Gulf Coast offense. Maybe less heavy in the QB run game but Rhule will probably want it worked in if they get a QB who can do it.
You not a fan of the Gulf Coast O?

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Gotcha, yeah probably a Mullen/Urban-style offense.

It feels like zone blocking has been difficult to implement and perform well lately at Nebraska. Not sure if it's the coach or the guys in the room or what. Maybe I'm off.

I’d agree that for some reason it’s been hard to accomplish. But I’m not sure I’d agree with going away from it offensively if that’s what you’re suggesting. Cockeye has done it very well in the past. Minnesota does it well now. There’s no reason it should be this fuckin hard for us.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds