Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Breaking Coaching search not going well (3 Viewers)

Steveweiser316

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Matt Campbell is basically Mike Riley of the Midwest.
  • He is 5-18 in games where the spread is less than 4
  • He is 1-7 vs Cockeye
  • His last 9 losses have been by 1 score
  • He said about not achieving his goals of winning the conference that, "winning the conference wasn't my goal." "my goal was to be the most together team in ISU history."
    • Could you imagine if Nebraska had a preseason top 10 team. A couple of preseason All Americans on it. Then we lose to Minnesota, are eliminated from the B1G west and our coach says....."well at least we were together"
If that turns you on then I don't know what to tell you.
Your despise for Campbell is only rivaled by @BIG TONE SOPRANO ‘s hate for Frost

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yes....This is the reason why I think he would go to Bama to work with Saban or TV.

I am sure there is a way around it, but the only way I thought was if you backloaded it, but that would be a heavy liability to carry if it doesn't work.
Base salary - 4 mil for 4 years

Bowl games
2 out of 4 - 500k
3 out of 4 - 1 mil
4 out of 4 - 2 mil

8 wins +
2 out of 4 - 500k
3 out of 4 - 1 mil
4 out of 4 - 2 mil

West Champs
2 out of 4 - 1 mil
3 out of 4 - 2 mil
4 out of 4 - 4 mil

Conference Champs
1 mil/championship

CFP appearance
1 mil per

CFP win
1 mil per

Best case scenario he's making 10 mil per season. Could make the lower levels bigger numbers.

Worst he's no worse than if he didn't take the job. Realistically he either gets a contract extension after 2 years or fired after 3 and his buyout is just the bonuses.

If he goes to be a coordinator somewhere he's making the 40 mil.

No idea what he makes as a TV guy. That's the only other scenario he makes more money.

For us we'd be glad to pay 8-10 mil per year under those scenarios. Our downside is as low as hiring anyone but Mickey.

herbsinator

Running Back
Elite Member
Just a feeling - but I'd say the exact opposite. I think he's built up some capital to run how he wants.

From being told he can't fire Frost last year, but turning that into a trigger date and a reconstruction of his deal, that alone tells me that Turd attaches his wishes to the wishes of the money. He earned a lot of leverage in his handling of the Frost debacle in my estimation.

This is the first AD I've seen chip away at the stranglehold that the boosters of Nebraska have on running a shitty program. I will believe the best until I see otherwise.

If we end up with a 2 million dollar coach that is ACTUALLY a 2 million dollar coach - incentives or not - we fucking riot, though.
I’m not sure this is totally accurate. Eichorst fucking hired Riley and I don’t think anyone else had a say in that decision.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Base salary - 4 mil for 4 years

Bowl games
2 out of 4 - 500k
3 out of 4 - 1 mil
4 out of 4 - 2 mil

8 wins +
2 out of 4 - 500k
3 out of 4 - 1 mil
4 out of 4 - 2 mil

West Champs
2 out of 4 - 1 mil
3 out of 4 - 2 mil
4 out of 4 - 4 mil

Conference Champs
1 mil/championship

CFP appearance
1 mil per

CFP win
1 mil per

Best case scenario he's making 10 mil per season. Could make the lower levels bigger numbers.

Worst he's no worse than if he didn't take the job. Realistically he either gets a contract extension after 2 years or fired after 3 and his buyout is just the bonuses.

If he goes to be a coordinator somewhere he's making the 40 mil.

No idea what he makes as a TV guy. That's the only other scenario he makes more money.

For us we'd be glad to pay 8-10 mil per year under those scenarios. Our downside is as low as hiring anyone but Mickey.
Yeah I think with his salary from Carolina set up he is basically set up to either go to TV to maintain his brand or go to Saban's rehab clinic and basically treat it like a grad program for his coaching career.

The only college gig I could see changing that is Penn State. That is rumored to be his dream gig.

I mean we would pay him 10 mil a year and it wouldn't increase his income. So why would he come here to work? Unless my understanding of his contract is wrong.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I’m not sure this is totally accurate. Eichorst fucking hired Riley and I don’t think anyone else had a say in that decision.
Didn't you get the memo? There's an evil cabal that runs everything and pulls all the strings. Except that time Perlman cut TO out of hiring his replacement and hired Eichorst who then somehow went out and hired a candidate no one really wanted.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Just a feeling - but I'd say the exact opposite. I think he's built up some capital to run how he wants.

From being told he can't fire Frost last year, but turning that into a trigger date and a reconstruction of his deal, that alone tells me that Turd attaches his wishes to the wishes of the money. He earned a lot of leverage in his handling of the Frost debacle in my estimation.

This is the first AD I've seen chip away at the stranglehold that the boosters of Nebraska have on running a shitty program. I will believe the best until I see otherwise.

If we end up with a 2 million dollar coach that is ACTUALLY a 2 million dollar coach - incentives or not - we fucking riot, though.
If he hires the next coach with comparable money to what Frost was being paid it’s a failure.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
I mean we would pay him 10 mil a year and it wouldn't increase his income. So why would he come here to work? Unless my understanding of his contract is wrong.
It doesn't matter how much we pay him for base salary. That's why there are more incentives that are paid in year 5. He's earning those incentives over these 4 years and they don't reduce his buyout.

As far as why do it, these people are built different. Most of your head coaches can't just sit at home and do nothing (even tv work) even though financially they don't have to. I'd bet you anything that mother fucker is ready to chew walls down after sitting at home for 2 months.

11husker23

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
EICHORST also had Harvey’s arrogant ass backing him when he was hired too. He caused just as many problems.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member

1. There’s a MASSIVE difference between doing what you want without buy in before people can nix it, and making your moves WITH people on board. Not even comparable. Turd isn’t moving without discussion, he’s maintaining the Boosters AND doing what he wants to get done - different universes

2. Eichorst shouldn’t be your measuring stick. The worst AD. I know who else people will throw out, Eichorst is thee worst.

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
So, the new rumor is that we still have no idea who Turd's top candidates for the hire are because of how tight he is keeping the search, but whoever they are, we are getting information that we are not going to offer top notch money and only incentive based contracts? Not sure how the financials are somehow being released, without any true knowledge of who the legit candidates are. If there were supposed leaks from a potential candidate about the financials, wouldn't it be much easier to know who we were actually targeting?

Good point.

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member
Who is the WarshRags dude on RSS. Really gettin after tone for this info.

Also WarshRags also said Lane Train is in play so I choose to believe him and agree tone is a tater.
Taking info word from word from here. Smart feller

Example 986 of how stupid our fans are. They have no idea what legit info looks like

Last edited:

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yeah I think with his salary from Carolina set up he is basically set up to either go to TV to maintain his brand or go to Saban's rehab clinic and basically treat it like a grad program for his coaching career.

The only college gig I could see changing that is Penn State. That is rumored to be his dream gig.

Rhule signed a 7 year $8.5 Mill/yr contract. He has roughly 4.5 years left on that contract. Rhule seems like the type that Eats, Sleeps & Drinks football. If he truly wants to coach next season in college, and coach for us we find a way to make it happen.

Start him out with a lower salary and work your way up plus incentives.

Last edited:

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Rhule signed a 7 year $8.5 Mill/yr contract. He has roughly 4.5 years left on that contract. Rhule seems like the type that Easts, Sleeps & Drinks football. If he truly wants to coach next season in college, and coach for us we find a way to make it happen.

Start him out with a lower salary and work your way up plus incentives.
He could be, but for the next 4 years Carolina is paying him 834k per month. That is reduced by whatever whoever

I am just trying to see why he would.. It would have to be an extremely backloaded deal.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
He could be, but for the next 4 years Carolina is paying him 834k per month. That is reduced by whatever whoever

I am just trying to see why he would.. It would have to be an extremely backloaded deal.

Rhule seems like the type that Easts, Sleeps & Drinks football.
Amazingly I think that's the only explanation. As crazy as it sounds I don't think money is really the determining factor between working and not working.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
It's a dreamy scenario but Carolina would sue for unfair compensation or whatever it's called.
Didn't Pelini go to work for Youngstown making some paltry figure like $150,000/year after we shit canned him? Millions of dollars is definitely big bucks anf you know lawyers would be involved.

Let's get creative and throw this out there. Turd reaches out to Carolina and says we want to hire Matt Rhule. Carolina owes him roughly $8.5 mill/year for another 4+ years (estimated at $40 million). How about we split that buyout? Carolina only pays $20 million so both of us save $20 million over the course of Rhule's salary. For easy math say we sign him to a 7 year contract on average at $10 mill/year. That's $70 million total he would earn.

$70 (7 year contract) -$20 (how much Carolina picks up) =$50 (amount the Huskers owe him over 7 years)

$50 million divided by 7 years = $7.14 million/yr

Carolina - $20 million
Huskers - $50 million

So with that we could sign him for an average cost to us of only $7.14 million/year over 7 Years. I think that is a bargain. Win, Win, Win. Carolina saves $20 million, Rhule ups his salary to $10 million/year plus extends it 3 years and we get a proven winning coach for only $7.14/year which in comparison is much lower than what other B1G schools are paying proven winners. That leaves us plenty of coin for the Asst Coaches Salary Pool.

Rhule can get a job commentating on football or at the Saban Rehab School or even take time off and Carolina will be on the hook for around $40 million minus whatever he makes if coaching.

I'm gonna defer to my CPA @Jim14510 to make sure my math lines up. Thank you, I will hang up and listen

Last edited:

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds