Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Breaking Coaching search not going well (1 Viewer)

Mood4NU

Linebacker
Elite Member
I think it’s prob being leaked just like anything else , to put out feelers or just throw everyone off cuz they can . I don’t think very many people know anything. People who usually know something know nothing…

Savedatmoney

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think BOB is high in Turd's list
David Rose Comedy GIF by Schitt's Creek

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think he is a very safe pick, and there is nothing wrong with that where we stand today.
I think BOB fits what Turd has been telegraphing that he wants for a while. Here's 2 things Turd said about the hire:

1. We won't worry about 'winning the press conference' - this fits BOB
2. Our next HC will 'bring back toughness to NU FB' — this is also BOB

The "toughness" thing was what said when Turd spoke last week (which was supposedly when the HC search went into overdrive).

I think the BOB hire would make sense with the limited amount of crumbs that are out there.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
I wouldn’t mind the hire. I think he could put together a great staff too.
He wasn't my first choice, but I'm warming to it. I definitely feel like the NU program would be in competent hands. Runs a right ship, knows the B1G, has the Saban sheen on him now.

Speaking of the 'Saban effect.' It's weird that O'Brien is that he seems to get no benefit for coaching under Saban. Which is odd since the other coaches, that was their main thing: Smart, Tucker, Kiffin, Sarkisian, etc. The 'Saban effect' was like THE NUMBER ONE selling point for each coach.

When each of those guys became a HC candidate, the 'Saban disciple' label was the main descriptor. But O'Brien doesn't seem to get that - people are like "Same ol' boring BOB!!"... I just find that odd. I think it's fair to say that O'Brien has very likely become a better coach after 2 seasons with Saban. I think the anti-BOBers are not giving him enough credit for that. I mean BOB was already a very good CFB voach BEFORE he went to Alabama. Surely he's not a worse coach now. I'm certain he's a better CEO, etc. This will all be a welcome change for us bc NU just got done with literally the worst CEO head coach maybe of all time in Scote Forst.

kevost

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
He wasn't my first choice, but I'm warming to it. I definitely feel like the NU program would be in competent hands. Runs a right ship, knows the B1G, has the Saban sheen on him now.

Speaking of the 'Saban effect.' It's weird that O'Brien is that he seems to get no benefit for coaching under Saban. Which is odd since the other coaches, that was their main thing: Smart, Tucker, Kiffin, Sarkisian, etc. The 'Saban effect' was like THE NUMBER ONE selling point for each coach.

When each of those guys became a HC candidate, the 'Saban disciple' label was the main descriptor. But O'Brien doesn't seem to get that - people are like "Same ol' boring BOB!!"... I just find that odd. I think it's fair to say that O'Brien has very likely become a better coach after 2 seasons with Saban. I think the anti-BOBers are not giving him enough credit for that. I mean BOB was already a very good CFB voach BEFORE he went to Alabama. Surely he's not a worse coach now. I'm certain he's a better CEO, etc. This will all be a welcome change for us bc NU just got done with literally the worst CEO head coach maybe of all time in Scote Forst.
The Saban rehab clinic doesn’t do much for me. Outside of Kiffin, the other “rehab” coaches haven’t fared too well. Mel Tucker caught lightning in a bottle for one season. Locksley is doing ok at Maryland. Sark at Texas is underwhelming so far. Maybe I’m missing someone else? Kirby Smart might be an example but he wasn’t a failed coach elsewhere prior to getting the Georgia gig.

I could live with BoB, definitely not my first choice, but I could warm up to the idea if he hires a top notch staff.

Lionsfan93

Running Back
Recruiting Analyst
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
The Saban rehab clinic doesn’t do much for me. Outside of Kiffin, the other “rehab” coaches haven’t fared too well. Mel Tucker caught lightning in a bottle for one season. Locksley is doing ok at Maryland. Sark at Texas is underwhelming so far. Maybe I’m missing someone else? Kirby Smart might be an example but he wasn’t a failed coach elsewhere prior to getting the Georgia gig.

I could live with BoB, definitely not my first choice, but I could warm up to the idea if he hires a top notch staff.
I'm not the biggest BoB fan (he is #14 on my current list), but I think you could make a strong case that BoB isn't a failed coach too. He did pretty well at Penn St, all things considered.

doublewing

Running Back

Agreed. I liked BOB as a coach pre-Alabama. He did a good job in the NFL with 4 playoff appearances in 6 full seasons. Working under Wizard Saban is like him going back to college for his PhD.

If we end up with him I'll be happy. He's a top tier candidate.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I’m leaning more and more towards this shit about not paying a coach being a very well-placed and played agent-driven rumor.

I give Turd the benefit of the doubt here and I know for as close to it gets to being a fact that he’s had conversations with the best in the business. He simply can’t believe that “We’re Nebraska so we can underpay our coaches just because they wanna be here.”

If you look at every single hire he made at UNO, he’s never been afraid to pay for the best.

I’ve been saying since November of last year that if you look at Turd’s history, specifically his hire of Dean Blais, it might tell you something. He paid Blais a top college hockey salary before he was done. Not thee top. But I believe it was top 15.

I’m dismissing these rumors as agents trying to gain some traction (or spook other candidates) at the moment.

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
I don't care if it's Aranda, Campbell, B'Ob or Mickey.

As long as it's not Scott Frost with Chinander, some guy who looks like a part time magician for a QB coach, a dude who quit coaching to work at a bank as OC/WR coach and an empty chair at special teams then we will be much better than the last 5 years.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider

As long as it's not Scott Frost with Chinander, some guy who looks like a part time magician for a QB coach, a dude who quit coaching to work at a bank as OC/WR coach and an empty chair at special teams then we will be much better than the last 5 years.

Every time over the past 20 years I get told it can’t get worse it always does. I’m not buying it this time.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG

Would you be comfortable with a former golf coach as a WR coach? Honestly, Pelini's WR coach wasn't that bad...an anomaly I know...

BUT DON'T HIRE ANY STINKY VEGANS...FUCK.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG

Matt Campbell is basically Mike Riley of the Midwest.
  • He is 5-18 in games where the spread is less than 4
  • He is 1-7 vs Cockeye
  • His last 9 losses have been by 1 score
  • He said about not achieving his goals of winning the conference that, "winning the conference wasn't my goal." "my goal was to be the most together team in ISU history."
    • Could you imagine if Nebraska had a preseason top 10 team. A couple of preseason All Americans on it. Then we lose to Minnesota, are eliminated from the B1G west and our coach says....."well at least we were together"
If that turns you on then I don't know what to tell you.

ThomOsborneMD

NFL PICKEM CHAMP
Elite Member
tPB OG
Matt Campbell is basically Mike Riley of the Midwest.
  • He is 5-18 in games where the spread is less than 4
  • He is 1-7 vs Cockeye
  • His last 9 losses have been by 1 score
  • He said about not achieving his goals of winning the conference that, "winning the conference wasn't my goal." "my goal was to be the most together team in ISU history."
    • Could you imagine if Nebraska had a preseason top 10 team. A couple of preseason All Americans on it. Then we lose to Minnesota, are eliminated from the B1G west and our coach says....."well at least we were together"
If that turns you on then I don't know what to tell you.
I am not hard

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds