Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Brent Davis OC (1 Viewer)

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I don’t think you would hire an OL coach in that scenario. I think you’d give Davis OC/OL and Frost would coach QBs which paves the way for you to have a special teams only full time assistant.
Man I think that structure really hurts your recruiting on the offensive side.

OC/DC's generally aren't your foot soldiers when you go out on the road recruiting. OL needs what....at least 3-5 recruits a year? OC/QB makes so much more sense to me. You go out as your OC, you get the QB you want, you help you're other coaches close on their guys.

Point being, a guy like Robert Anae was always an offensive line. At Virginia, he's OC/Inside Receiver coach.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I don’t think you would hire an OL coach in that scenario. I think you’d give Davis OC/OL and Frost would coach QBs which paves the way for you to have a special teams only full time assistant.
That's what I'd assume as well. Does Davis call plays though? If, in this scenario, we would basically be combining Gun Triple with our current passing attack, does the primarily triple option guy call plays? Would be a big change for Davis, no?

Seems like, again in this scenario, we are prioritizing player recruitment and development with the hires and I would foresee Frost still calling the games? Considering player development has been a white whale at Nebraska for some time now, especially under Frost, I don't hate it if that's the case.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member

OC/DC's generally aren't your foot soldiers when you go out on the road recruiting. OL needs what....at least 3-5 recruits a year? OC/QB makes so much more sense to me. You go out as your OC, you get the QB you want, you help you're other coaches close on their guys.

Point being, a guy like Robert Anae was always an offensive line. At Virginia, he's OC/Inside Receiver coach.
Unless OC isn't going to be calling games, and his focus is scheme and development.

If this is how it plays out - I really think they are trying to get Frost support on development so he can put significant focus back on confidently calling games like his previous 2 stops.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member

I'd rather have a stud recruiter at OL coach.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider

Personally, I think that the Davis stuff is many Husker fans attempting to wish it into existence. Davis has made more fans than any OC candidate ever and he’s not even been hired yet. People in the Damon Benning and Matt Vrzal category REALLY want Davis as your OC.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
Personally, I think that the Davis stuff is many Husker fans attempting to wish it into existence. Davis has made more fans than any OC candidate ever and he’s not even been hired yet. People in the Damon Benning and Matt Vrzal category REALLY want Davis as your OC.
That's probably the case, will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
The people who think its possible to recreate the 90's.

Personally, Harrell or Anae make more sense to me. Brent Davis has done a good job at every stop he's had. And I think he wants to get away from that stigma of being only a triple option guy because that reputation hurts his marketability. But I'd rather see him do that somewhere besides Nebraska.

I wouldn't be opposed to hiring Brent Davis as JUST the OL guy and hiring a different person as OC, that'd be awesome. But he's not going to come to Nebraska just to be the OL coach. Now maybe you can hire him at $500k - $600k to be an OL/Run Game Coordinator and that would be a raise for him? I honestly don't know.

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
If we're going to go gun triple, I would prefer to hire someone who has actually done it before. Go get someone like Brad Glenn at Georgia State.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Personally…

If the idea is to go toward the offense that @slattimer thinks we will move toward, hiring a guy like Lynn as your OL/RCG and Graham Harrell as your OC/QBs makes perfect sense. You’ve got an expert in a lot of those option concepts on your staff and you’ve also got a guy who’s an expert in air raid here as well.

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
Damon Benning can fuck off if he wants Davis as OC.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
Damon Benning can fuck off if he wants Davis as OC.

Every. Single. Time. They talk OC on his show he makes a point to mention Davis and usually does it as his first guy. They had Vrzal on last week and they both talked about it and came to the conclusion that Frost is an idiot if he doesn’t hire him. Or at least framed it that way. Because you know? Run the dern ball!

Vrzal is a good guy from my experiences with him personally and in the business world. But I’ve never seen someone leverage being a 3rd team OL more than him.

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
I look forward to using this meme I just made

8-AAF0715-9-BD7-42-F7-920-B-57-D7-BF9-B07-E3.jpg

Kinish

Cornerback
My assumption is that the ST slot will come from a defensive coach leaving, not from shorting the offense.

As far as Brent Davis goes. I think he's a veteran playcaller and a really good coach.. He gets tagged "service academy triple option durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" by everyone.

Coaches can coach multiple schemes, concepts and learn new things. They are never just one thing. I'd personally give him a shot.. he's coached OL for a top 5 rushing offense for the past 10 years.

What's Frost got to lose? heh

Last edited:

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds