Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Editorial Big Red Overreactions (1 Viewer)

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
You know how misery loves company...I listened in so you don't have to.

I highlighted my favorites in each category.

Funny takes
Palmyra at 36:25 mark: [coughs into mic] "Sorry, I just choked like Jeff Sims"

Brian in Cockeye City at 44:40 mark: "Just want to let you know I am not Brian Ferentz...with the new clock rules, good luck Brian Ferentz getting 25 points per game, he's gonna be gone faster than Mark Whipple."

Chris at 54:18 mark: "First, I've been [waiting on the line] the longest, I actually got dropped from the queue. Second, you guys need to stop talking about the Braves. Next, you don't need to play all the highlights of how we lost. That only rubs it in and makes everyone even more salty. Last part is, the fact is, why do we even have Sims, why did we run off Casey Thompson...Sims is on par for 36 interceptions on the year, why did we even get this guy, he himself is the reason why we lost the game..."

Question Mark calling on behalf of Bob at 1:00:45: "You guys remember him by Bob, he passed away in February. This is his wife Jolene...he was a Nebraska fan through and through, he called all the time talking about firing the coach, usually before the game was over...anyways, I know there's a lot of comments that he would make, but I'm not that way...I'm sure he'd be saying to fire the coach. I'm sure he was watching somewhere and trying to call."

Devon at 1:21:55 mark: "First thing, RIP Bob, he was always around, he was always around, always the first caller...second thing, I was on hold for 25 minutes, hearing that ringtone, can we get either some elevator music or some twilight zone music? [it sounds like] ring ring ring pause, ring ring ring pause...some Taylor Swift would even work at this point...Feels like we're doing the same song but a different dance, went from the public school dance to the Catholic school dance, could still get a little lucky here at the end of the day."

From the live chat at 1:27:00: "o line is dog water"

Andrew at 1:50:35: "To begin, I don't know why you guys aren't screening your calls for Hawks. They have no place on our airwaves..."

Good takes

Brian at 29:30 mark: "When you're putting together a drive to ice the game away, run the ball to grind the clock, tell your running backs to hold on to the ball. Cradle it. Don't hold it like a loaf of bread"..."It's frustrating. Go back to every close loss we've had over the last 5 years and listen to the coaches, [Rhule in his press conference] said almost the exact same thing."

Josh on Twitter at 39 minute: "You don't need to pop a run up 7 points with 4 minutes left"..."You just need someone to hold on to the football"

Connor Happer at 47:45 mark: "If the NCAA is going to allow this thing where the left tackle gets a jump start on the snap, we got to get some clarity on that."

Mark at 51:45 mark: "If Grant can't be in [when the game is on the line], then what about Sims? Guy is a turnover machine." Happer response: He is who he is. Not going to be able to turn him into a game manager type QB.

Rob at 1:03:30 mark: "I'm a little hurt, I'm a little angry, but I'm not surprised...I don't think Jeff Sims cost the game, I think Jeff Sims was asked to do everything...after a while they're going to focus on you and you're not going to get a chance to keep doing that. With that said, I would have thought with bringing him in to replace Casey Thompson, maybe we would have seen a little more option....[I think they went with Jeff over Casey because] that offensive line has been so horrible for so long, you have to have a guy with the ability to take off immediately, because he's not going to get the chance to stand in the pocket."

Alex in Portland at 1:27:44 mark: "...really felt like the OC was trying to make Jeff Sims something that he's not. I'd like to see more play action and get him out of the pocket. He really sat there in the pocket and threw down the middle a lot, and good quarterbacks can do that. He made some good throws but conceptually they're asking a lot of him. [If he's running as much as he is] it's really hard to sit in the pocket and make those throws with a clear head after taking that many shots." [sounded like a pretty knowledgeable caller and was fairly positive about Satterfield outside of that critique]

Wade at 1:43:35 mark: "You recognize my name because I will hunt you down and kill you. I've been listening to the calls and I've heard a lot of crazy things, but 'it was fun'??...It wasn't fun...I'm sick of this crap playing a conference game on the road to open the season. It's crazy, idk why we do that. I think Sims is a phenomenal athlete. I think he'll get better. The biggest disappointment was the offensive line. Can't allow the sacks that we had. I was really impressed with the physicality of the defense. If we go negative 3 in turnover margin against Michigan that will be a 54-10 beatdown...I see signs of hope in what's going on here..."

Al at 1:58:03 mark: "I'm a Minnesota fan. You guys did a great job at stopping the run. We would have lost the game if you guys ran the ball."

Terry at 2:08:00 mark: "...Husker fans might not want to hear this but look up the highlights of Jamal Lord, I think that's what Jeff Sims is. I really don't think he can necessarily throw the ball consistent...our last three QBs never had any competition. Adrian, Thompson, now same thing with Jeff Sims. How do you make QBs better when they don't have any competition, they're not pushed."

Tom at 2:13:40 mark: "Calling in from Norman and rooting for my old rivals...I think it's unfair to compare this loss with any other past close losses. Matt Rhule is not Scott Frost. Jeff Sims had some horrible mistakes but carried a lot on his back...that was a pretty rowdy crowd...44 freshmen and a new qb and a new offense and defense, the glass is beyond half full."

Randy at 2:23:06: "This was a good game, lots of teachable moments. I think Sims is a good quarterback, he just has to learn in this league you can't stare down your receivers the whole way."

Nate at 2:26:00 mark: "Everyone's talking about that touchdown catch and how amazing it was but there was a blatant false start. Should not have been a touchdown. Also we need to talk about four turnovers."

Max at 2:30:10 mark: "I thought Sims played great despite the three interceptions...he's a little bit too confident in his pocket presence...there were times I felt like we abandoned the run when it was really working for us...Minnesota might be a top 25 team...we waited too long to start blitzing."

Jeff at 2:31:50 mark: "[on Minnesota's touchdown pass] The left tackle was a yard and a half in the backfield before the ball was snapped. That was kind of crazy. I'd be cool with it except they called us on twitch moves on the goal line twice...both of our false starts on the goal line where we got false starts, if you combine them, they weren't as much as that tackle on that touchdown pass...Gus Johnson is a national treasure, 'chicken salad' was phenomenally called."

Tater takes
Husker Bill @ 10:45 mark: "This is like back in '78 when we lost to Alabama on the road, but we ended up being pretty good that year"..."I'm impressed"..."We covered the spread, everybody is happy, aren't they?" [Note: Alabama was #1 that year. One of the worst takes right off the bat. What a way to kick off Big Red Overreaction.]

Bill @ 25 minute mark: "We're not going to go 1-11 because we're not the Baylor Bears." [Thanks Bill]

B-Dubs at 40:50 mark: [Talks about how we shouldn't have iced the kicker. Really focused in on that decision.]

Brandon on Twitter at 59:28 mark: "I'm confused, is the season over? It's one damn game." [He's right, but he's lying, he's not confused at all]

Daniel at 1:09:30 mark: "I have something interesting. My biggest 'yay' of the night was the special teams...the second thing is I still like Jeff Sims but I don't trust him anymore to throw the football." [lmao]

Noah at 1:14:07 mark: "I'm gonna be totally honest with you guys, I'm an Cockeye fan...Three things. Nebraska's O-line allowing 4 or 5 sacks on the game, that can't happen. Also noticed how the quarterbacks over the last 5 years have almost been the exact same between Adrian Martinez, Casey Thompson, and Jeff Sims...I also think if this game happens in week 3, this is a totally different game and it really swings Minnesota's way heavily."

Landon at 1:36:15 mark: "Hats off to Minnesota. I had a lot of fun watching the game...It was the first game in a while where we felt like we didn't give it away...It was fun to see us go out and play four quarters and really give it to Minnesota...I felt like we played four quarters and I felt like all three aspects of the game were ON...Colorado next week is going to be TOUGH, you've seen all the advertisements about Deion...It was a FUN game, it was awesome, it was a blast." [Just everything about this call smh]

Casey at 2:16:45 mark: "First thing, Casey Thompson, pretty much terrible." Connor Happer: "He plays for FAU now". "Oh...uh...yeah...well uh we need some pressure, and uh, some pressure on D...pressure..." One of the producers: "call an Uber Casey" [one of the worst callers of all time lmao]

Pat at 2:19:55 mark: "Not many people know about what the plane of the goal line means when scoring touchdowns...the touchdown is scored the instant the ball touches the front of the line of the goal line" [yeah pat the debate was over whether that happened or not]

Tarren at 2:27:38 mark: "Both teams played great. I really rooted for Minnesota over Nebraska even though I am a Nebraska fan. Because Minnesota is a great team, they have a great head coach...regardless of who wins or loses, it's great." [WTF]

Zach at 2:34:48: [confused why they were able to review touchdown after the false start call]

Last edited:

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Question Mark calling on behalf of Bob at 1:00:45: "You guys remember him by Bob, he passed away in February. This is his wife Jolene...he was a Nebraska fan through and through, he called all the time talking about firing the coach, usually before the game was over...anyways, I know there's a lot of comments that he would make, but I'm not that way...I'm sure he'd be saying to fire the coach. I'm sure he was watching somewhere and trying to call."
That's kinda sad. Son maybe?

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'd like to see more play action and get him out of the pocket. He really sat there in the pocket and threw down the middle a lot
Half of his drop backs were play action. Not sure how much more you can do.

All 3 interceptions were straight dropbacks though.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
View attachment 26872

Bad across the middle but wasn't really good anywhere.

View attachment 26873
Season 5 Episode 3 GIF by Insecure on HBO

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member
Husker fans digging way too deep into the stats to try and justify that absolute shit show of an offensive performance last night is classic husker fan coping.

We scored 1 fucking touchdown on a broken ass fluke trick play. Minny was without their best defender too. Just stop.

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
Husker fans digging way too deep into the stats to try and justify that absolute shit show of an offensive performance last night is classic husker fan coping.

We scored 1 fucking touchdown on a broken ass fluke trick play. Minny was without their best defender too. Just stop.
Well after last night there are only two options, coping or moping. I've done quite a bit of both.

DuckSker

RedSeaFarts=Sandalwood
Elite Member
Well after last night there are only two options, coping or moping. I've done quite a bit of both.
Nothing but moping from this guy. The good news is if we lose next weekend im deleting my account/husker football out of my life forever. This shit aint good on my heart and i’d like to live past 30 now that i have a kid

Blbmeb

Linebacker
Elite Member
Nothing but moping from this guy. The good news is if we lose next weekend im deleting my account/husker football out of my life forever. This shit aint good on my heart and i’d like to live past 30 now that i have a kid
This just might be worth the loss.

Huskers4420

Linebacker
The amount of Gamecock fans that were thrilled Satterfield was leaving should've told us everything we needed to know. Was the exact opposite reaction from Syracuse fans with White.

nscottie

Running Back
Elite Member
Honestly, I expected a loss last night. But when we looked like we might pull it out, I got excited. Hurt that much more to lose. After that it was a toss up. Drink myself to oblivion or go to bed and hope it was a bad dream.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds