Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Benning visit? (1 Viewer)

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
The Daily Show Idk GIF by CTV Comedy Channel

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member
Maybe I am a dummy, but how many scholarships do they even have left for defensive backs at this point? Is it possible someone takes his spot over the next month?

We will oversign like we did last class. It’s mind boggling that there are fans that still don’t understand this concept 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

theDankness

Linebacker
Elite Member
For all I care Benning can go be “wired differently” somewhere else. He doesn’t seem to fit the mold of what Rhule wants: lukewarm towards Nebraska and lacks track speed.

I listened to DB's radio and the segment "Give'em a Reason to Come Here" (Sorry can't post link), but Damon seemed real salty about the recruiting game and the recent commits and stars and offers.

Just real strange vibe. Almost like he's fed up with it. Or maybe that there's no room left for his son at NU.

Don't know if anyone else listened and got a similar feel.

Also, if you want your kid to go to Nebraska, which it seems he does, how the hell do you not work your schedules out to make the OV this past weekend? Damon couldn't have skipped what seemed like another kids sport event? Last week it seemed like the Benning's didnt even know when the Dead Period began and Caleb thought he could come this Monday?

What the hell are they doing? I get wanting your kid to be able to chart his own course or whatever, but sometimes you gotta step up and get things straightened out in their head. (see: Hall's father/convo with Rhule)

The more stories ya hear about Benning and his recruit journey, not to mention his measurables, I am in full agreement that he can go be different somewhere else. Doesn't seem to have a real love for football and is doing it to make Dad happy.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I listened to DB's radio and the segment "Give'em a Reason to Come Here" (Sorry can't post link), but Damon seemed real salty about the recruiting game and the recent commits and stars and offers.

Just real strange vibe. Almost like he's fed up with it. Or maybe that there's no room left for his son at NU.

Don't know if anyone else listened and got a similar feel.

Also, if you want your kid to go to Nebraska, which it seems he does, how the hell do you not work your schedules out to make the OV this past weekend? Damon couldn't have skipped what seemed like another kids sport event? Last week it seemed like the Benning's didnt even know when the Dead Period began and Caleb thought he could come this Monday?

What the hell are they doing? I get wanting your kid to be able to chart his own course or whatever, but sometimes you gotta step up and get things straightened out in their head. (see: Hall's father/convo with Rhule)

The more stories ya hear about Benning and his recruit journey, not to mention his measurables, I am in full agreement that he can go be different somewhere else. Doesn't seem to have a real love for football and is doing it to make Dad happy.
Damon has been a net negative for Nebraska recruiting for years. I don't know why anyone would expect that to change with his son.

he can go ahead and be butthurt about his son being left out, but that's his son's fault more than anything

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
Damon has been a net negative for Nebraska recruiting for years. I don't know why anyone would expect that to change with his son.

he can go ahead and be butthurt about his son being left out, but that's his son's fault more than anything
I listen to his show everyday. I don't think he's really butt hurt about anything. He did have a comment a few weeks back about wishing he had maybe tried to induct his son into the Nebraska fanhood more. Nebraska is basically battling the fact that the majority of these kids did not grow up as husker football fans. I know it's tough for many of us to grasp, but that's what happens when you've been irrelevant as long as Nebraska has. I'm 32 and my brother is 23. I grew up rewatching recordings of the national championships when I was bored and he really doesn't care about Nebraska football at all.

Last edited:

Pipehog69

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
I listen to his show every day as well and he’s definitely not butt hurt about it. He said the other day that he basically told his son “this staffs not budging so be prepared to accept the consequences of going about your recruitment this way”

I think a lot of people don’t like Damon because they have simple brains, don’t understand nuance and don’t know how to read between the lines. If you listen to his show regularly you’ll know that he’s as big of a rhule fanboy as there is but he’s trying to be measured and impartial about it.

1HuskerDad

Defensive Coordinator
I listened the other day and he mentioned that his son was handling things his own way - not necessarily how DB would handle it

theDankness

Linebacker
Elite Member
I listen to his show every day as well and he’s definitely not butt hurt about it. He said the other day that he basically told his son “this staffs not budging so be prepared to accept the consequences of going about your recruitment this way”

I think a lot of people don’t like Damon because they have simple brains, don’t understand nuance and don’t know how to read between the lines. If you listen to his show regularly you’ll know that he’s as big of a rhule fanboy as there is but he’s trying to be measured and impartial about it.

His attitude didn't seem different in the segment I mentioned this morning?

Seemed real caught up in fan perception of offers and measurables.

Handn't noticed it like that before this morning.

I like Damon and know he's a Rhule-aid drinker. My post wasn't making any connection between DB and Neb staff.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I listen to his show everyday. I don't think he's really butt hurt about anything. He did have a comment a few weeks back about wishing he had maybe tried to induct his son into the Nebraska fanhood more. Nebraska is basically battling the fact that the majority of these kids did not grow up as husker football fans. I know it's tough for many of us to grasp, but that's when happens when you've been irrelevant as long as Nebraska has. I'm 32 and my brother is 23. I grew up rewatching recordings of the national championships when I was bored and he really doesn't care about Nebraska football at all.
I wasn't even speaking in terms of fandom, I just think CB has an over-inflated sense of where he stands in the recruiting landscape. DBs are a dime a dozen and a ton of them have far better measurables than he does. he's going to slow play his way into 4 years at Northern Cockeye if he's not careful

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
I listen to his show everyday. I don't think he's really butt hurt about anything. He did have a comment a few weeks back about wishing he had maybe tried to induct his son into the Nebraska fanhood more. Nebraska is basically battling the fact that the majority of these kids did not grow up as husker football fans. I know it's tough for many of us to grasp, but that's when happens when you've been irrelevant as long as Nebraska has. I'm 32 and my brother is 23. I grew up rewatching recordings of the national championships when I was bored and he really doesn't care about Nebraska football at all.

I get that Caleb’s recruitment has been kind of weird and DB can be extra defensive of his son, but listening to stuff like this he seems to be all in on rhule and his approach

Agree on all this. Damon is a huge fan of Rhule and this staff and how they go about things and has openly said so repeatedly, even as it seems his son is becoming less likely to have a spot.

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
We will oversign like we did last class. It’s mind boggling that there are fans that still don’t understand this concept 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
Agree, we will and should oversign. But it does strike me a bit odd that we seem to be doing all our over signing at one position. Another DB would give us eight defensive backs.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds