Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Back to school (1 Viewer)

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
Back To School What GIF by Rodney Dangerfield
"Call me sometime ... when you have no class!"

Rodney to Sally Kellerman. Line of the (last) century, IMO.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
Thanks man. I hope he had a great day, too.

FWIW, both of our boys (5 & 3.5yrs) have went to a structured Lutheran early learning center for the last 3 years from 8am-4:30pm each day (oldest son 2 thru pre-k, youngest infant thru now 3y/o class). Feel it has been fantastic in introducing them to other adult authority figures in a structured classroom setting. It also helps them learn social skills and interaction with their peers. Last, but certainly not least, is building up their immune systems. It is super frustrating how often they were both sick their first year, but we wanted to get all of that out of the way before they went into public school.
My second kid who just went to kindergarten was in Zion Lutheran’s preschool for two years. Getting the structure is the big thing. My daughter who is a second grader supposedly did preschool at her daycare, but it was a joke. She basically went to kindergarten with no preschool. She didn’t pick shit well up until the beginning of second semester. After that everything that has been a breeze.

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
This is my worst nightmare. My daughter started 2nd grade this morning. Luckily I have a few more years...I hope, before these battles begin.
My girl is much easier than the two boys, but I’ve been told that changes once they become older. My kids at 7,6, and 3. I’m hope it’s my wife dealing with her at the teenager years over the stuff I really would prefer not to talk about.

Lionsfan93

Running Back
Recruiting Analyst
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
We homeschool in no small part because we decided we didn't want to start school this early... either this early in the year, or that early in life with trying to do full day classroom structure type format.

There's a one day a week co-op style thing we'll start in a couple weeks, but this is prime time for us to do things like go to the zoo or other less formal educational outings, now that most other kids are back in their buildings.

Big agree that the early years have a lot to savor. We're right in the middle of what I'm sure we'll reminisce about as the good ol' days at our house.
My daughter starts her second year of the one day a week co-op next week. Which co-op are you guys apart of?

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
My oldest could have started kindergarten but he would be the youngest one (he turns 5 this month), so both kids still in pre-k for one more year

The cut off date is the end of July in Nebraska. My one kid’s birthday was July 22. I put him in full day preschool to see if he was ready a couple years ago, but he wasn’t so he went to preschool for another year. He just turned 6 and had his first day of kindergarten last week. The principal at their elementary school is against any kids who aren’t 5 by March going to kindergarten. I think the big issue is maturity. The extra year makes a big difference.

I think both of you made very wise choices. While both would have been just fine academically, the social aspect is a huge one to consider and it seems there’s just a huge difference socially between 5 and 6; and then again at 7.

Tell_Sackett

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Shit I can't even comprehend how far away that is for me, but also how fast it'll likely creep up
It's a freight train rolling down the tracks... My oldest started her Freshman year this year and it is unbelievable to me how fast time has passed.

Alcaus

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
The public school system in our county hired an "AI company" to predetermine all the bus routes.

Long story short, many children were dropped off in the wrong locations, put on a bus when they get picked by car, driven cross county for single stops, many didn't get home until after 9PM. No food, no water, no bathroom breaks. One kid arrived home covered in piss.

Schools closed till the county gets their shit together. Superintendent was crying on the news the other day that he doesn't get paid enough to "receive death threats" from concerned parents... dude makes 350k a year.

Welcome back keeeeeeeeds

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
It's a freight train rolling down the tracks... My oldest started her Freshman year this year and it is unbelievable to me how fast time has passed.
Was picking up my daughter from grandma's house the other day after work, and I just mentioned how it looked like she'd gotten bigger here recently, and we talked about how tall she could get, and I joked about being really tall and she said "well that wouldn't be good, no boyfriends then" and I about shit my pants and said "good, hopefully 6'5" then" lol

Lionsfan93

Running Back
Recruiting Analyst
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
Classical Conversations. NW Omaha location. You guys in the Bellevue campus?
No, we are doing a group called Truth & Beauty. However, my sister has put her oldest through CC (I think the NW campus too). It was great for their oldest (15), but the are going a different route for their middle (12) because it wasn't the right fit for him. That's the great thing about all the different home schooling options today - you can find the right fit for anyone.

jaihawk

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
We moved our middle one into the dorms on Sunday, which really hit home... That's my two daughters out of the house now, and I'm definitely a "girl dad". Our son started his junior year at East on Tuesday. Crazy to think that in 2 years, we'll be empty nesters...

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
We moved our middle one into the dorms on Sunday, which really hit home... That's my two daughters out of the house now, and I'm definitely a "girl dad". Our son started his junior year at East on Tuesday. Crazy to think that in 2 years, we'll be empty nesters...
Which dorm? My daughter was lucky enough to get a suite. Those are nice.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds