Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

And then there were 98 Scholarship Distribution Chart (1 Viewer)

Blakejc

Corporate Potato
Elite Member
6-7 guys we want to transfer who will transfer
6-7 guys we want to transfer who won’t transfer
6-7 guys we don’t want to transfer who will transfer.

Category 2 is irrelevant. These guys will be able to keep their scholarships, but they won't be on the team because of the New HC rule and won't count against the 85
The player still needs to volunteer to do that, right? Or are you saying the coach can essentially kick anyone off the team he wants so long as they’re guaranteed their schollie?

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Or are you saying the coach can essentially kick anyone off the team he wants so long as they’re guaranteed their schollie?
Yes, in effect. He can tell them they are no longer on the roster but they can keep their scholarship. Most guys transfer when this happens.

The rule was put in to create a symmetry with the rule that allows players to transfer after a new coach is hired even if they have previously transferred.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
I'm finding this harder and harder to project for a couple reasons:

1) Our "depth" (using that term loosely after 6 straight seasons of 5 wins or less) is in spots you want it - primarily on the OL.

- and more importantly -

2) I refuse we absolutely WHIFFED on basically every big get we had in recruiting. Benhart was a prize. Corcoran was a prize. Noa Pola-Gates was a PRIZE. Fidone - Prize. Betts - Prize. Ty Robinson - Prize. I would like to think that a fresh start for these guys would breath life back into their once HIGHLY valued skill set, production, frame, etc. But then again, they've also been poorly coached for 4 years in most situations. Can you come back from that?

Here's what I do know - the ones that figure it out Rhule will bring along gladly, the ones that don't figure it out pretty damn quickly - Rhule in past stops seems JUST FINE to throw a freshman out there and not use the "you have to be old in this league" excuse for 4 years.

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
I'm finding this harder and harder to project for a couple reasons:

1) Our "depth" (using that term loosely after 6 straight seasons of 5 wins or less) is in spots you want it - primarily on the OL.

- and more importantly -

2) I refuse we absolutely WHIFFED on basically every big get we had in recruiting. Benhart was a prize. Corcoran was a prize. Noa Pola-Gates was a PRIZE. Fidone - Prize. Betts - Prize. Ty Robinson - Prize. I would like to think that a fresh start for these guys would breath life back into their once HIGHLY valued skill set, production, frame, etc. But then again, they've also been poorly coached for 4 years in most situations. Can you come back from that?

Here's what I do know - the ones that figure it out Rhule will bring along gladly, the ones that don't figure it out pretty damn quickly - Rhule in past stops seems JUST FINE to throw a freshman out there and not use the "you have to be old in this league" excuse for 4 years.
The "whiff" was on hiring Scott and him bringing a group of coaches that mostly don't belong on a sideline. Nobody from that staff has moved up since the UCF success followed by the Nebraska debacle.

That's why Turd brought in Mickey and BB to basically see behind the curtain and report back to him what a hidden shit show it really was. I have no doubt that it was the new staff members that pulled the fire alarm in Ireland when Scott was being Scott.

The guys you mentioned may have been much better players had they never chosen Nebraska and I bet that's something they think about more than we do.

RedSavage

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Farmer and Washington are two that fit that mold whose names have been tossed around.

Fidone was one to look out for when Juan was harassing him, but I feel better about him now.

I see Casey Thompson transferring to a safer destination where he’s guaranteed the top role. I could also see 3 QBs transferring when everyone only expects 1 or 2. Definitely possible that Haarberg is QB2 come fall.

Rhamir if hes RB3 after spring ball.

No inside knowledge, but are Ty and Nash here for their entire career?

Ya, not having guys like Androff or NPG or Seth Malcolm taking up a scholarship is what we hope happens, but names like those above are who I’m preparing for.

I realize this is a very shitty thing to hypothesize about.
If Thompson loses out in the spring MAYBE I could see a transfer. But I don't think he stuck around to see the HC change and all that just to bail

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
If I had to cut/encourage a transfer of 13, here's who it'd be just based off what we've seen from their time under and incompetent staff. Obviously we aren't seeing everything behind the scenes and who's coming along and who's not...

Benhart
2 QB's gotta go - staff seems to like Haarberg so I'd guess Chubba and Logan? But Logan seems like he'd LOVE this staff and I think they'd love him...
Piper
Snodgrass
Tommi Hill
Shawn Hardy
Buckley
1 of the Sophomore MLB's - tough to call because they all have accolades and potential.
2 Safeties - I'd drop Singleton and, maybe a wild take cuz he's started so much but, Farmer. Something tells me he wouldn't be a "jacked about the hard work new staff" kinda guy
2 Corners - Lynum, Hartzog (only because he was a "diamond in the rough" that no one wanted except our dumbass staff)

VERY surprised we brought IGC back as Rhule has always seemed fine with young skill guys and we seem fat at WR to me.

EDIT: THIS IS FUCKING HARD

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
If I had to cut/encourage a transfer of 13, here's who it'd be just based off what we've seen from their time under and incompetent staff. Obviously we aren't seeing everything behind the scenes and who's coming along and who's not...

Benhart
2 QB's gotta go - staff seems to like Haarberg so I'd guess Chubba and Logan? But Logan seems like he'd LOVE this staff and I think they'd love him...
Piper
Snodgrass
Tommi Hill
Shawn Hardy
Buckley
1 of the Sophomore MLB's - tough to call because they all have accolades and potential.
2 Safeties - I'd drop Singleton and, maybe a wild take cuz he's started so much but, Farmer. Something tells me he wouldn't be a "jacked about the hard work new staff" kinda guy
2 Corners - Lynum, Hartzog (only because he was a "diamond in the rough" that no one wanted except our dumbass staff)

VERY surprised we brought IGC back as Rhule has always seemed fine with young skill guys and we seem fat at WR to me.

agree this is fucking hard.

Chubba has a relationship with Raiola from AZ, apparently.

Part of this is who wants to leave, not just who we think isn't a contributor. And there will be upper classmen who want to leave as the coaches will consciously want to give some PT to young players because they are building for the future. And the want distribution by year, and an attractive roster for recruiting. Plus, what are they thinking they need from the portal?

OL - I doubt any OL go - we only have 14, and 5 are frosh, If anyone goes, it will be an older guy who doesn't seem to be rotation bound. Not sure those exist. Plus, not likely we get someone good from the portal. Let's say 0

QBs - Maybe 3 leave? When Raiola commits, I can't see Logan or Torres staying. CT or Sims start this year, the DR comes and his freshman year there is an experienced Sims, with probably a really good 2025 right behind DR. Logan and Torres will never see the field. Purdy could go, too, for the same reason. We might be left with 3 schollie QBs. Let's say 3

RB - probably Grant goes somewhere he might start his last year, even if it's not P5. Johnson possible after Spring, for sure by end of season. They will want a room that can accommodate a talented new guy. Let's say 2

WR - definitely Hardy, maybe Jones. Depending on the Spring, if Washington isn't a top 3 guy, he might go. Let's say 2

TE - it looks like we may play two a lot, all the guys are young eligibility-wise, I'd say attrition unlikely, but one of the RFr might choose to go. Let's say 1

DL - I say at least one, probably two, of Tagaloa, Buckley and Gunnerson will choose to leave. There are 5 freshmen coming in, which will speak volumes to them. They'll have a feel by end of spring about where they stand. The possibility exists that someone like TRob could get enticed into the portal. I think he'll be able to grad transfer. Not likely, but certainly possible. Let's say 2

LB - Agree at least 1, but more likely two, of the soph LBs go - current situation is not good from a roster management perspective (6 sophs?) and will make recruiting harder - 2

CB - Hill and Lynum will likely leave - 2

Safety - could see at least two going. Agree Farmer is one. Pola-Gates is another. Too many juniors. Lets say 2

Using my position end estimates, this is 16, which will leave us room for a few transfers in. We could use 1-2 experienced DL, a good upper-class OL (hard to find, though), perhaps another upper-class LB, a good upper-class CB. That's more potential needs than spots, which shows we need attrition and can't keep guys that won't be starters and could be replaced by young players as backups so those guys develop.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
RB - probably Grant goes somewhere he might start his last year, even if it's not P5. Johnson possible after Spring, for sure by end of season. They will want a room that can accommodate a talented new guy. Let's say 2
If it were Grant, wouldn't you use his apparent academic issues to cut him rather than suspend him? Seems like they are going a route to try to keep him.

Everyone keeps bringing up Washington - with he and Casey being tight that would be a surprise to me. Do people have real info on Washington not liking it - or just assumptions? He became one of my favorites last year.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
If it were Grant, wouldn't you use his apparent academic issues to cut him rather than suspend him? Seems like they are going a route to try to keep him.

Everyone keeps bringing up Washington - with he and Casey being tight that would be a surprise to me. Do people have real info on Washington not liking it - or just assumptions? He became one of my favorites last year.
If Washington looks like a starter coming out of the Spring, I think he'll stay. My point was that he was likely to go if he doesn't. I would think he wants a heavy PT role his last year.

On Grant, if you think he has a bad attitude, you give him a chance to repair things. But his issue is getting PT. He also is in his last year and wants to make money in the pros. Does he think after this spring that he will be third or 4th string - which sounds easily possible, especially as he isn't practicing? If so, why would he stay? He would be marketable.

These guys are making career decisions. Having friends on the team doesn't mean much.

Napkins

Safety
Elite Member
We can afford to lose a lot at DB but I’m not sure who goes. I actually like farmer at rover and think he could thrive with less coverage responsibility but agree he could leave depending on how he feels about this new staff and probably has more options than most. NPG seems bought in and I think if he were going to leave he would have already but his name is always on this list for me since he’s been here for so long with minimal PT. Hill won’t want to sit the bench I’d guess and he doesn’t appear bought in given the suspension so he is probably most likely to leave. Javier Morton and Lynum should probably leave but I’m not sure they have a lot of options, especially Morton who has already gone through JUCO. Singleton is another guy who came through JUCO and may not see the grass as greener if he leaves. Kaine Williams moved down to LB so depending on how he likes that move he may be a former DB that leaves. I didn’t even know Braxton Clark was still here and is another guy that could/should leave but probably won’t at this point.

I think most likely is we see the staff make this decision for some of these players because we have some rocks on our roster at DB who don’t have better options elsewhere but aren’t doing much here. Hill to me is most likely to choose to leave given his ass clownery.

Carm

Graduate Assistant
Recruiting Analyst
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
If guys without a playing future don't want to leave, they will be students and not football players. Rhule said he wasn't trying to run people off. He wasn't guaranteeing they could be on the team regardless of performance.

When you go through this, see how many have to go to get to 85, and add in some help we're likely to need from the portal, it would seem that if your potential is that you might be a back-up by the time you are a senior, then you're in trouble.

skerfan

Cornerback
Elite Member

Benhart
Piper
Snodgrass
Tommi Hill
Shawn Hardy
Buckley

You are cutting 3 guys that started multiple games last year. That is not going to happen. Benhart has too much potential and Piper was one of our top linemen at the end of the year last year. It is also beyond me that you are sending hartzog packing.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
You are cutting 3 guys that started multiple games last year. That is not going to happen. Benhart has too much potential and Piper was one of our top linemen at the end of the year last year. It is also beyond me that you are sending hartzog packing.
Benhart and Piper have been main contributors to all-time shitty line play. If you read the entirety of the post - "we aren't seeing who's coming along and who's not" - anything we prognosticate would be performance based from their time with a shit staff. But Benhart had his "new slate" with his new OL coach last year who will still be his OL coach this year. I'm done with him. I'm not a coach so it doesn't matter - but I'm done with him. Piper consistently found ways to not touch a single individual on entire plays multiple times as a man IN THE TRENCHES. No thanks.

Starting for a perennial 4 win team doesn't mean jack shit to me. Hartzog is small and was exploited after his first game. Chinander made this big deal of "no one else even recruiting him..." maybe there's a reason for that?

So who are your 13? I'd love to see it.

DrumMonkeyRobot

Cornerback
Elite Member
Benhart and Piper have been main contributors to all-time shitty line play. If you read the entirety of the post - "we aren't seeing who's coming along and who's not" - anything we prognosticate would be performance based from their time with a shit staff. But Benhart had his "new slate" with his new OL coach last year who will still be his OL coach this year. I'm done with him. I'm not a coach so it doesn't matter - but I'm done with him. Piper consistently found ways to not touch a single individual on entire plays multiple times as a man IN THE TRENCHES. No thanks.

Starting for a perennial 4 win team doesn't mean jack shit to me. Hartzog is small and was exploited after his first game. Chinander made this big deal of "no one else even recruiting him..." maybe there's a reason for that?

cat lady meow GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

skerfan

Cornerback
Elite Member

So you are telling me that if you had to put money on it with the potential of winning a parley with a huge payout you would put those theee names on your best attempt to win? I would start with the names of those that they beat out for playing time. Not them. Tell you what. I’d bet you 100 per guy on Benhart piper and hartzog and I’ll bet they won’t be cut.

djw004

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
So you are telling me that if you had to put money on it with the potential of winning a parley with a huge payout you would put those theee names on your best attempt to win? I would start with the names of those that they beat out for playing time. Not them. Tell you what. I’d bet you 100 per guy on Benhart piper and hartzog and I’ll bet they won’t be cut.
Blah blah blah - put out your 13 or shut the fuck up…

Who did Benhart beat out at T on this roster? Who did Piper actually beat out at Guard?

Never thought I’d see someone so bent out of shape for having a different opinion. You really love our 4 win roster huh?

Last edited:

Milo-of-Croton

Cornerback
Elite Member
If I was on the staff I would suggest Lutovsky at guard, Scott at tackle and Piper at Center. I would at least take a look at it.

Lots of consternation in this thread. When a new coach comes in, the rebuilding process means flushing a few players that some will have great angst about losing. This is why the rebuild - this is not a major rebuild like Baylor was - takes time and in my humble opinion, if we can get to 6 wins and a bowl game I will be pleased. There are all sorts of things going on with players none of us know about. If a player does not want to be here, is not going to buy in...get out. We do not need cancers in the locker room.

I cannot control any of it, who stays or who goes, so I'm just going to be patient and see what happens.

I gave my full support to Frost and was dead wrong. I am giving my support to Rhule and I may or may not be wrong again.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds