Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

And so it begins...(tracking Coach Prime decommits/transfers) (5 Viewers)

Savedatmoney

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
Deion is a publicity stunt. He may not ever win more than 6 games a year at CU, but he’s boosted the athletic departments revenue by millions. Now, they’ve probably still spent more than Prime has generated.

If I’m an AD with a football program operating in the red, I consider bringing in Prime for a year or two if only to boost interest and revenue.
Arizona is in the red if I remember right….

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Deion is a publicity stunt. He may not ever win more than 6 games a year at CU, but he’s boosted the athletic departments revenue by millions. Now, they’ve probably still spent more than Prime has generated.

If I’m an AD with a football program operating in the red, I consider bringing in Prime for a year or two if only to boost interest and revenue.
He’s the personification of clickbait culture infiltrating college football. His success or failure or merits don’t matter, he gets attention and that is success in and of itself in the modern world.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG

Oh I agree. As much as I hate Deion, it actually benefits you to hire him if your program is like 1-11 or 2-10 and make no money and have no brand or identity. You do get a bump from it.

The idea that Deion would benefit a UW or A&M or even Bama is objectively hilarious. And if you're a prominent media figure suggesting this you are a complete moron.

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
The idea that Deion would benefit a UW or A&M or even Bama is objectively hilarious. And if you're a prominent media figure suggesting this you are a complete moron.
Stephen A Smith Eye Roll GIF by ESPN

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
SAS/Deion is an amazing example of how you can be very smart in one sport (NBA) and a complete idiot in another (CFB).

I know 95% of the board probably hates SAS but the guy is very knowledgeable about the NBA. And NFL to a lesser extent. The fact that he's this dumb about CFB is really quite an achievement. Shows you how dead CFB really is in the northeast, that a guy consumed w sports in NYC/Philly for the last 35 yrs literally knows less about CFB than my 8 yr old daughter. It's amazing.

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member

Ripping Lips

And I ain’t talking about fish
Elite Member
Denver Post taking a swipe at Prime.

The more Deion Sanders saw himself as Nick Saban, the more Saban saw himself on the golf course.

College football history was written, hammer and chisel, by control freaks, America’s most beloved dictators. The tails wag all the dogs now, and that’s gotta drive Saban cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.

ESPN, which used to hide behind giant curtains like the great and powerful Oz, pulling levers and scamming Emmys, has two hands on the sport’s steering wheel and is about to drive this puppy to Crazytown. TV execs redrew vertical, logical, contiguous, storied conferences into horizontal, bastardized, coast-to-coast, junior AFCs and NFCs, a sport where the sun never sets. Prep superstars want the money upfront. Every inmate in the game’s asylum expects a car and a room key.

Yet Coach Prime’s affection for Saban, who announced his retirement from Alabama football a few days back, is charming and genuine, if occasionally deluded. The public nadir hit probably three summers ago. When a reporter during a Zoom call referred to Sanders, then at Jackson State, by his first name, Coach Prime got all up in the scribe’s grill.

“You don’t call Nick Saban, ‘Nick,'” Sanders said. “Don’t call me, ‘Deion.'”

(When asked about this exchange afterward, Saban quipped, “I respond to just about anything. I’ve been called just about everything … it’s not something important to me.”)

But the best coaches know best what they don’t. For all the lessons that Coach Prime cribbed from Saban and his Bama dynasty, there’s one Uncle Nick trademark Buffs fans should hope Sanders will pay more earnest heed going forward.

His coordinators.

His play-callers. The guys who move the chess pieces on game day. The guys who should be making him look like the smartest guy in the room on Saturday night.

Saban’s Hall-of-Fame resume stands on its own, as do the man’s gridiron bona fides. But it takes a village, even in Tuscaloosa.

And here were Saban’s offensive coordinators with the Tide, in rough chronological order: Major Applewhite, Jim McElwain, Doug Nussmeier, Lane Kiffin, Brian Daboll, Mike Locksley, Josh Gattis, Sarkisian again, Bill O’Brien, Tommy Rees.

His defensive coordinators, are also in rough order: Kevin Steele, Kirby Smart, Jeremy Pruitt, Tosh Lupoi, Pete Golding, Charles Kelly, Steele again.

Sanders’ mantra, and thus CU’s, is that enough Jimmies and Joes from the transfer portal will make the Xs and Os immaterial. And that can work. To a point.

It works a heck of a lot better at the Power 5 level if you’ve got six or seven Travis Hunters, as Saban so often did, instead of the Buffs’ one.

Or 10 Jordan Seatons, each strong and hungry enough to push or supplant their beefy incumbents, as opposed to CU’s one.

Or relentless waves of Shedeur Sanderses, an NFL quarterback protected by an NFL offensive line, throwing to NFL targets, with a front-row seat to watch NFL defensive linemen and NFL cornerbacks pummel Vanderbilt into tiny gold leaf flakes.

As long as The Deion Experiment calls Boulder home, the Buffs are going to win the portal, win the recruiting game, win the ratings game and win the PR game, all landslides in the margins.

Winning on the scoreboard will come down to the offensive line, something CU faithful could’ve told Deion already, and how well those coordinators win their respective chess matches once the Buffs are matched up against comparable, if not superior, talent. Period.

Even as college football’s stone tablets have been replaced by whiteboards and dry-erase markers, some verities remain eternal. CU’s CFP dreams this fall will sail as far and as fast as Shedeur’s health, yes. But also by the merits of who ultimately replaces Kelly, the Buffs’ convivial but pleading former defensive coordinator who resigned his post last month to return to the SEC. With the exception of Bill Belichick, coaching trees usually don’t lie. Saban, to his credit, generally nailed that part, too.

Sure, the Prime “tree” now technically includes new San Diego State coach Sean Lewis. But if even half the whispers about Lewis’ working relationship with the Sanders family are true, that particular branch rotted from both sides. And the only thing Pat Shurmur has in common with Kiffin is an NFL pink slip.

Steveweiser316

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member

The more Deion Sanders saw himself as Nick Saban, the more Saban saw himself on the golf course.

College football history was written, hammer and chisel, by control freaks, America’s most beloved dictators. The tails wag all the dogs now, and that’s gotta drive Saban cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.

ESPN, which used to hide behind giant curtains like the great and powerful Oz, pulling levers and scamming Emmys, has two hands on the sport’s steering wheel and is about to drive this puppy to Crazytown. TV execs redrew vertical, logical, contiguous, storied conferences into horizontal, bastardized, coast-to-coast, junior AFCs and NFCs, a sport where the sun never sets. Prep superstars want the money upfront. Every inmate in the game’s asylum expects a car and a room key.

Yet Coach Prime’s affection for Saban, who announced his retirement from Alabama football a few days back, is charming and genuine, if occasionally deluded. The public nadir hit probably three summers ago. When a reporter during a Zoom call referred to Sanders, then at Jackson State, by his first name, Coach Prime got all up in the scribe’s grill.

(When asked about this exchange afterward, Saban quipped, “I respond to just about anything. I’ve been called just about everything … it’s not something important to me.”)

But the best coaches know best what they don’t. For all the lessons that Coach Prime cribbed from Saban and his Bama dynasty, there’s one Uncle Nick trademark Buffs fans should hope Sanders will pay more earnest heed going forward.

His coordinators.

His play-callers. The guys who move the chess pieces on game day. The guys who should be making him look like the smartest guy in the room on Saturday night.

Saban’s Hall-of-Fame resume stands on its own, as do the man’s gridiron bona fides. But it takes a village, even in Tuscaloosa.

And here were Saban’s offensive coordinators with the Tide, in rough chronological order: Major Applewhite, Jim McElwain, Doug Nussmeier, Lane Kiffin, Brian Daboll, Mike Locksley, Josh Gattis, Sarkisian again, Bill O’Brien, Tommy Rees.

His defensive coordinators, are also in rough order: Kevin Steele, Kirby Smart, Jeremy Pruitt, Tosh Lupoi, Pete Golding, Charles Kelly, Steele again.

Sanders’ mantra, and thus CU’s, is that enough Jimmies and Joes from the transfer portal will make the Xs and Os immaterial. And that can work. To a point.

It works a heck of a lot better at the Power 5 level if you’ve got six or seven Travis Hunters, as Saban so often did, instead of the Buffs’ one.

Or 10 Jordan Seatons, each strong and hungry enough to push or supplant their beefy incumbents, as opposed to CU’s one.

Or relentless waves of Shedeur Sanderses, an NFL quarterback protected by an NFL offensive line, throwing to NFL targets, with a front-row seat to watch NFL defensive linemen and NFL cornerbacks pummel Vanderbilt into tiny gold leaf flakes.

As long as The Deion Experiment calls Boulder home, the Buffs are going to win the portal, win the recruiting game, win the ratings game and win the PR game, all landslides in the margins.

Winning on the scoreboard will come down to the offensive line, something CU faithful could’ve told Deion already, and how well those coordinators win their respective chess matches once the Buffs are matched up against comparable, if not superior, talent. Period.

Even as college football’s stone tablets have been replaced by whiteboards and dry-erase markers, some verities remain eternal. CU’s CFP dreams this fall will sail as far and as fast as Shedeur’s health, yes. But also by the merits of who ultimately replaces Kelly, the Buffs’ convivial but pleading former defensive coordinator who resigned his post last month to return to the SEC. With the exception of Bill Belichick, coaching trees usually don’t lie. Saban, to his credit, generally nailed that part, too.

Sure, the Prime “tree” now technically includes new San Diego State coach Sean Lewis. But if even half the whispers about Lewis’ working relationship with the Sanders family are true, that particular branch rotted from both sides. And the only thing Pat Shurmur has in common with Kiffin is an NFL pink slip.
The non-CU Local Sports Media has been pretty critical of Deion since October whereas CUs version or versions of Dean are still sucking him off.

Pepe Silvia

Wide Receiver
Elite Member

His coordinators.

I'm willing to bet Saban will work longer hours in retirement than Deion will as a HC

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds