Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Alberts: "I like people who work hard. I have no hobbies. It's my family and work. That's all I do." (Hmmmm) (2 Viewers)

BingoDingo

Absolute Idiot
Great Job Thumbs Up GIF by Children's Miracle Network Hospitals's Miracle Network Hospitals
That's a really good gif..

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
It makes a little more sense now. My nephew is a walk-on and he said a year or two ago that Frost wasn't real good about paying attention to details. At the time I ignored him (or more likely just didn't want to believe him), but I now am understanding his vibe. I never thought I would hear something like this the way Frost talked when he first got here.
Curious if it was mentioned, what are these details that he doesn’t pay attention to?

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
Without knowing Frost personally or seeing him in real life (other than getting his autograph when I was like 9), from my angle I don't even know if it's arrogance or cockiness. Bo was arrogant and cocky and stubborn, he always thought he knew best and that everyone who questioned him was an idiot. Maybe Frost is just better at hiding it, but to me his personality seems like he's totally aloof and has his head in the clouds and just doesn't even think about those nitty gritty details.

He's able to come up with the larger ideas of the offensive scheme and the "culture" he wants in the program, and clearly at UCF he was great at driving a program that was already primed for success, but since coming here and having to start from scratch he has seemed to just think things were going to come to fruition out of thin air if he repeated enough of the same phrases over and over...? (Fast blinker, best practice yet, things are about to turn around, we only want guys who want to be here, things were bad when we got here, bring back the culture, yada yada yada)

I can't even think of a time when he's talked in depth about his offense or given a detailed answer about who did what/when and how it related to the play on the field. I believe that he knows how it's all supposed to work in theory, but I don't think he has a detail-oriented ticker going through his head all the time like some coaches. It's yet another reason why he should've hired better/more experienced assistants when he got here. If the head coach is more of a "big picture" guy, then his assistants sure as hell better be great at articulating and teaching AND have the cachet to fill in the head guy's deficiencies and keep his head out of the clouds.

I actually think Turd COULD be that kind of partner for Frost at an administrative level if we start winning and Frost earns more seasons here, but the clock is ticking FAST and if we have another losing season it's too late for it to matter.

Last edited:

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Without knowing Frost personally or seeing him in real life (other than getting his autograph when I was like 9), from my angle I don't even know if it's arrogance or cockiness. Bo was arrogant and cocky and stubborn, he always thought he knew best and that everyone who questioned him was an idiot. Maybe Frost is just better at hiding it, but to me his personality seems like he's totally aloof and has his head in the clouds and just doesn't even think about those nitty gritty details.

He's able to come up with the larger ideas of the offensive scheme and the "culture" he wants in the program, and clearly at UCF he was great at driving a program that was already primed for success, but since coming here and having to start from scratch he has seemed to just think things were going to come to fruition out of thin air if he repeated enough of the same phrases over and over...? (Fast blinker, best practice yet, things are about to turn around, we only want guys who want to be here, things were bad when we got here, bring back the culture, yada yada yada)

I can't even think of a time when he's talked in depth about his offense or given a detailed answer about who did what/when and how it related to the play on the field. I believe that he knows how it's all supposed to work in theory, but I don't think he has a detail-oriented ticker going through his head all the time like some coaches. It's yet another reason why he should've hired better/more experienced assistants when he got here. If the head coach is more of a "big picture" guy, then his assistants sure as hell better be great at articulating and teaching AND have the cachet to fill in the head guy's deficiencies and keep his head out of the clouds.

I actually think Turd COULD be that kind of partner for Frost at an administrative level if we start winning and Frost earns more seasons here, but the clock is ticking FAST and if we have another losing season it's too late for it to matter.

Frost needs to let his OC call the plays. Frost needs to trust his assistants more. It seems Frost could benefit from having less on his plate, actually managing the game as a head coach, letting his OC and offensive assistants do their jobs.

But he probably won't let go of play calling as we have seen. Someone (Turd?) needs to get in his ear and convince him to delegate more IMO. I don't think we can judge Lubick as he doesn't get the chance to actually call the plays. Let him do it and see how it works out. I bet it would be better than what Frost has shown he can do as a play caller so far at NU.

MrKnightedHusker

Linebacker
Elite Member

At UCF, his AD was in lockstep on everything. Huge support from the AD and accountability from SF to the AD. Frost was not particularly 'well-organized' there, but he had a team that was so beat up from being winless that they did everything they could to get that losing taste out of their mouth. Even as he won, he got consistent criticism on the Dungeons Rivals Board (UCF) for not being well-oiled, well-organized or detailed. What he did do very well is paint the picture and he had a team that was hungry enough to fully embrace the mission. But that AD help filled in a ton of his gaps. He has not had anything remotely close to that at Nebraska until now.

He has been 'playing out of position' without an active AD...

YankeesJunkie

Linebacker
At UCF, his AD was in lockstep on everything. Huge support from the AD and accountability from SF to the AD. Frost was not particularly 'well-organized' there, but he had a team that was so beat up from being winless that they did everything they could to get that losing taste out of their mouth. Even as he won, he got consistent criticism on the Dungeons Rivals Board (UCF) for not being well-oiled, well-organized or detailed. What he did do very well is paint the picture and he had a team that was hungry enough to fully embrace the mission. But that AD help filled in a ton of his gaps. He has not had anything remotely close to that at Nebraska until now.

I found it quite funny when Turd led Frost out of the press conference with the NCAA violations like a little boy. Frost was in full pouty face and Turd was acting "Dad". Probably told Frost to go take a nap afterwards.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member

So are we basically saying that Frost has lacked attention to detail his entire career as an HC?

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Sounds like that was the case even before he got to NU. Has definitely been the case since he's been at NU. You just don't field a winning team if attention to details is lacking like it has been.
Yeah. I wonder if that was taken for granted slightly since they were so good at Oregon when he got his big break, so the habits just carried over. Certainly isn't working right now.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Yeah. I wonder if that was taken for granted slightly since they were so good at Oregon when he got his big break, so the habits just carried over. Certainly isn't working right now.
Yeah Oregon had a longtime coach in Mike Bellotti. They made Chip Kelly the HC in waiting. When he took over he basically kept the entire staff and infrastructure. So Frost was WR coach at a program that had basically been set in stone for 20 years.

Completely different than the upheaval they have seen at NU. Different universe.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Yeah Oregon had a longtime coach in Mike Bellotti. They made Chip Kelly the HC in waiting. When he took over he basically kept the entire staff and infrastructure. So Frost was WR coach at a program that had basically been set in stone for 20 years.

Completely different than the upheaval they have seen at NU. Different universe.
So where's the disconnect then with the success at UCF? Is it really as simple as the AD there was a solid foundation and helped him fill in his weak spots? Same concept as Oregon in already being a solid foundation? So here he's basically had to figure himself out as a HC, while given full reign from the AD, along the way in a conference where most places have very stable footing and foundation and we are a building that has gone through an earthquake with a guy who is fairly new at actually being a HC starting something from round zero?

I think it would be helpful to know more of the inner workings of UCF and Oregon during his time at each.

MrKnightedHusker

Linebacker
Elite Member
So where's the disconnect then with the success at UCF? Is it really as simple as the AD there was a solid foundation and helped him fill in his weak spots? Same concept as Oregon in already being a solid foundation? So here he's basically had to figure himself out as a HC, while given full reign from the AD, along the way in a conference where most places have very stable footing and foundation and we are a building that has gone through an earthquake with a guy who is fairly new at actually being a HC starting something from round zero?

I think it would be helpful to know more of the inner workings of UCF and Oregon during his time at each.
That is pretty accurate - and with the lack of alignment in the Athletic Department, that would make the track even more difficult. It appears to me that Turd will be working on getting alignment as well, which will be critical regardless of who is the Head Football Coach.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
That is pretty accurate - and with the lack of alignment in the Athletic Department, that would make the track even more difficult. It appears to me that Turd will be working on getting alignment as well, which will be critical regardless of who is the Head Football Coach.
If that's the case then this program isn't close to really being back to anything at all.

MrKnightedHusker

Linebacker
Elite Member
So are we basically saying that Frost has lacked attention to detail his entire career as an HC?
He has some really good attributes too - but having a boss who can help you mitigate what you don't do well is huge in any field or business. I have spent the last half of my career helping others find how they can make themselves the best version of themselves. It's been my experience that if you can help people become their best version of who they can be, and you get people working together in alignment, crazy cool things can be accomplished. And if you refuse to take the credit for the accomplishments of your team (reflect it back only on them), they will go through a wall for you.

I hope Turd is that type of leader, we haven't had that for two decade in the AD...

MrKnightedHusker

Linebacker
Elite Member
If that's the case then this program isn't close to really being back to anything at all.
You would be surprised how quick you fix things with alignment. I've done a number of 'turnarounds' in business, usually when the company is out of cash and nearly dead, alignment allows for things to be built pretty speedily as well as sturdy. We will see.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
He has some really good attributes too - but having a boss who can help you mitigate what you don't do well is huge in any field or business. I have spent the last half of my career helping others find how they can make themselves the best version of themselves. It's been my experience that if you can help people become their best version of who they can be, and you get people working together in alignment, crazy cool things can be accomplished. And if you refuse to take the credit for the accomplishments of your team (reflect it back only on them), they will go through a wall for you.

I hope Turd is that type of leader, we haven't had that for two decade in the AD...
Post more often. Great insight.

iu

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG

I can only speak to the Oregon situation bc I live out here and know the program fairly well. Bellotti ran the program very similar to Ferentz. Just really really stable. Not flashy. Oregon has the rep of being flashy but Bellotti was the opposite of that. No drama. Very detail oriented. Frost was so young and new then he probably didn't realize what all went into that. That set the table for Chip Kelly to go in and do what he did.

I'd love to know what it was like at UCF but I have no idea. My gut tells me that it was more if a talent thing/Miton thing that allowed UCF to dominate in that weak setting. And papered over Frost's inefficiencies as a CEO.

I'll put it to the to you this way if Nebraska was in a lesser conference, Frost probably wins like 6-7 more games out of those 14 one score losses he's had. Meaning I just think the quality of the B1G and the stable programs here have exacerbated the lack of CEO skills Frost has. And Moos being weak didn't help either. And probably lack of people that want to keep SF in check since he's a golden boy here. It's really been the worst of all possible combinations for Scott.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds