Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Age question (3 Viewers)

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
I am 34 and have been lifting 3-5 days a week since I was 19. For over a decade I've been getting my workouts from a pro, and they're designed to keep you healthy and injury free. I have no injuries whatsoever.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Also Pipeline if you are doing the powerlifter deadlift/bench press/back squat thing then your body is going to break down sooner than normal.
Yes sir, 100% acknowledge that. Been doing it pretty hard for about 5-6 years now. Bought into the nutrition side pretty heavy from the start and it helps but yeah it takes a toll after a while.

alt f4

Administrator
Admin
Insider
Weightlifting + age.

I'll hit 40 next week. Extremely avid powerlifter now and 2.5 weeks out from next meet; this is literally the best I've ever felt in my life. For reference should be around a 685-700 squat, 450-460 bench, and 690-700+ dead. Low to mid 30s I felt like dogshit a lot, was a avid lifter, but not into powerlifting at that time. Key is this... Foam roll everyday, TRT, Ipamorelin, BPC-157, and TB-500.

Since getting the scripts, I haven't been sore for more than a half day or so, joints feel brand new, especially the knees, shoulders will flare up from time to time, but instead of weeks and weeks, it'll last a half week to a week.

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
Yes sir, 100% acknowledge that. Been doing it pretty hard for about 5-6 years now. Bought into the nutrition side pretty heavy from the start and it helps but yeah it takes a toll after a while.
I assumed you were aware but I've come across a lot of bodybuilder/powerlifter types over the years who seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that heavy flat barbell bench pressing will destroy your shoulders over time, etc. Some dudes just live to put up heavy weight.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I assumed you were aware but I've come across a lot of bodybuilder/powerlifter types over the years who seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that heavy flat barbell bench pressing will destroy your shoulders over time, etc. Some dudes just live to put up heavy weight.
Oh yeah for sure. Left shoulder and right elbow have actually started to feel pretty shitty over the last 2 months or so. Probably something to do with it. Yea you could somewhat put me in that category. I was small and weak growing up, played sports and lifted weights but most would call me a "late bloomer". At about 20 the weight and strength really started to come and my deadlift actually exploded. Started taking it serious at about 22. I actually do really enjoy throwing around heavy weight on the deadlift bar.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
my flexibility isn't great which is also a big part of it.
About 10 years ago I did the insanity workouts about every day for a few months. The workouts have a lot of stretching. That's probably the best I've felt in my life and I think it had less to do with the exercise and more to do with the stretching.

Drue629

Safety
tPB OG
Pick'Em Champion
If you're doing heavy lifting with a bar(bench, dead lifts, etc) your body is going to continue breaking down. Our bodies aren't meant to lift that much weight over and over again, pushing your joints to the limit. I would consider switching to kettlebell workouts. You can still get jacked to the titts but it's not nearly as hard on your body.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
If you're doing heavy lifting with a bar(bench, dead lifts, etc) your body is going to continue breaking down. Our bodies aren't meant to lift that much weight over and over again, pushing your joints to the limit. I would consider switching to kettlebell workouts. You can still get jacked to the titts but it's not nearly as hard on your body.
"jacked to the tits" fuckin sold

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm 28, very active weightlifter/powerlifter. At what age does the body start giving some older posters issues? Slept on my couch the other night for a few hours after the Neb-Pickle Smoochers game just because I fell asleep on accident and it's super comfy, and my lower back has been locked down tighter than a vice grip ever since I woke up from the couch. Is it an almost 30 thing or just a don't sleep on the couch again thing?

My wife HATES when I fall asleep on the couch cause she knows I'll be there for a while over night.
Mid to late 30's were the days I noticed the beginnings of issues. Mind was still willing, body was just about a step behind.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I'm 39, best advice I can give you.

Start stretching. I wish I would have. I run/walk about 16-20 miles a week. I get so stiff now. I should stretch a lot more.
My mother in law said this to me the other day. Challenged me to touch my toes, neve been able to honestly, and couldn't. And she gave me a snarky (figure it out) look and walked away.

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
Mid to late 30's were the days I noticed the beginnings of issues. Mind was still willing, body was just about a step behind.
Yep my dad used to tell me a few years ago in my early 20s to be mindful about what I did then because I would feel it 10-15 years later. Hasn't been 10 years yet but about 6-7 and I gotta say I certainly don't feel 20-21 anymore. He used to say "trust me, I've been there".

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds