Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Adrian Martinez on Big Red Wrap Up (1 Viewer)

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
Seriously am I the only one who gives zero fucks what he has to say? Like he knows a fucking thing about winning and not being a turnover factory? This is one of the leaders of the "vote no" to a bowl game.
Busch Beer GIF by Busch

Blbmeb

Linebacker
Elite Member
Couple all that with the team that has lost ~50 more turnovers over the last 20 years than the next closest team. There really was no alternative for The Simulation™. It was a the perfect storm.
I think there is a portion of the fan base that wants this type of offense.

I think you look at who they are recruiting at QB, they wont be running it going forward.

I still am dumbfounded as to why they got Sims vs retaining Casey or a different style of QB. We have an OC who is historically bad at having his offenses turning the ball over. Over the last 3 years, Satterfield's offenses have been at the bottom in terms of turning the ball over in conference. We then went and got the player who lead FBS in turnovers during his time.... Why did we think this was a good decision?
I can maybe go along with this if his passing schemes aren’t good and it causes interceptions, but his offensive style has nothing to do with bobbled snaps and running backs getting the ball punched out.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
The whole turnover prone OC is a weird mentality to me. Rattler was turnover prone at Oklahoma. Before Rattler was the injuries that left him with a guy that started the year at GA. They were generally worse than the team that they were playing.

Just such a small sample size to make a generalization like that.
USCjr was last the 2 years with Satterfield. This year they are 5th in turnovers lost in the SEC.

Turnovers to me are about technique and kind of plays that are being called. The zone read where they fumbled it on the exchange is a perfect example of this. Whenever you increase what you are asking the QB to do you increase the probability of turnovers. Also, when the QB does the improper technique it increases the probability of turnover. On the play I am bringing up HH held onto the ball past his front hip. Once it gets past your front hip that is a give. He tries to pull it and the ball is on the turf. We got it back, but felt this was a good example of both reasons referenced.

There is a balance with what you ask your QB/offense to do and being too conservative and not getting explosives.

If this was a 1 off... I could get behind it, but 4/5 years Satt's offenses have been bad at turning the ball over and 3 years they have been at the bottom of the barrel. He is trending this way.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
USCjr was last the 2 years with Satterfield. This year they are 5th in turnovers lost in the SEC.
I get the point but again small sample size. You're comparing last year to this year with half the games left to make a generalization about a coach.

All 7 of Rattlers fumbles last year were in the first 8 games. He didn't have any the last 5 and only has 1 so far this year. If you attributed that to the coaching he was getting kinda seems like Satt is the one that fixed his technique.

Rattler was coached by someone else for 3 years yet the flaws in his technique are from the 1 year coached by Satt?

Just so many variables in this conversation.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
I get the point but again small sample size. You're comparing last year to this year with half the games left to make a generalization about a coach.

All 7 of Rattlers fumbles last year were in the first 8 games. He didn't have any the last 5 and only has 1 so far this year. If you attributed that to the coaching he was getting kinda seems like Satt is the one that fixed his technique.

Rattler was coached by someone else for 3 years yet the flaws in his technique are from the 1 year coached by Satt?

Satt didn't call plays at the end of the year last year. Not shocked that ratller stopped fumbling

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG

I mean at the end of the day, he has had 5 FBS offenses he was OC on. 1 was a top 40 unit. They primarily are in the bottom tier in terms of turnovers. This team looks sloppy. It is apparently too complicated of a scheme for them to get RBs and WRs to play early.

I just don't get why he is the 6th highest paid OC here.

Shit can him, go hire somebody who is worth a damn.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Satt didn't call plays at the end of the year last year. Not shocked that ratller stopped fumbling
Yeah except he fumbled twice in the last 7 games and 5 times in the first 6. So who was calling the plays the 4 games before that?

I get that youre just trolling this same storyline but go actually look at Rattlers game logs. He had the great game against Tennessee. That game was the only real outlier. His 2nd game against Arkansas was his next best game.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
I mean at the end of the day, he has had 5 FBS offenses he was OC on. 1 was a top 40 unit. They primarily are in the bottom tier in terms of turnovers. This team looks sloppy. It is apparently too complicated of a scheme for them to get RBs and WRs to play early.

He doesn't deserve to be the 6th highest paid but I'm not ready to judge him. I don't know how people do on one of the worst offensive units in the P5. Just easier to blame him.

I'm also not trying to white knight for him. If he dies he dies. I won't shed a tear.

MtnHusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
He's a Kansas State Wildcat

Sesame Street Idk GIF
I understand that they are just trying to get viewers but like you said he was a KSU player to end his career. Let him make money off of KSU Podcasts & radio shows, not Husker ones. Teach players that as fans we are loyal to those who stayed. And let the record show I thought we would be better off if he transferred out but still bothers me some of these players could leave us and still get some exposure or money from our local media.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
He doesn't deserve to be the 6th highest paid but I'm not ready to judge him. I don't know how people do on one of the worst offensive units in the P5. Just easier to blame him.

I'm also not trying to white knight for him. If he dies he dies. I won't shed a tear.
  • Didn’t think he was a good hire despite hearing some good things.. everybody who covered USCjr thought him leaving was a blessing to them. I think the cover3 podcast said us hiring him was a top hire for USCjr.
  • I think he is awful at play calling. Minnesota game was inexcusable. There was a couple of series I felt were bad, but the worst was the one toward the beginning of the 4th. Drive before we went the length of the field and averaging 8 yds a carry, get a fg, defense forces a 3 and out. We follow it up with 3 straight passes one a shot play to your back up CB. Why would you throw it 3 times in a row with a struggling QB after running it for 8 yds a carry the drive prior when you want to be a team that runs the ball at a high level in the 4?
  • I question his judgement. He is either not self aware or utterly incompetent. His offense historically turnover prone to any objective person. Why would you add a QB that is awful at turning the ball over to that mix?
  • His scheme is apparently too complicated to allow young guys to excel. Why can we play freshmen early on defense and not on offense? Why can defense pluck a guy on Wednesday night say hey you are going to do this, he has a few sacks/pressures that Saturday and our offense makes getting the ball to Coleman and Llyod look like they’re searching for the cure for cancer?
  • Why didn’t we go get a transfer back when we lost Ajay? We had 2 RBs who I would consider every down backs. Why would a power running team only have 2 RBs?
I get they have injuries so I’m not expecting a great offense, but he is fucking up a lot of very controllable things iyam.

ChocaEgg

Ghost of Kiev 👻
Elite Member
  • Didn’t think he was a good hire despite hearing some good things.. everybody who covered USCjr thought him leaving was a blessing to them. I think the cover3 podcast said us hiring him was a top hire for USCjr.
  • I think he is awful at play calling. Minnesota game was inexcusable. There was a couple of series I felt were bad, but the worst was the one toward the beginning of the 4th. Drive before we went the length of the field and averaging 8 yds a carry, get a fg, defense forces a 3 and out. We follow it up with 3 straight passes one a shot play to your back up CB. Why would you throw it 3 times in a row with a struggling QB after running it for 8 yds a carry the drive prior when you want to be a team that runs the ball at a high level in the 4?
  • I question his judgement. He is either not self aware or utterly incompetent. His offense historically turnover prone to any objective person. Why would you add a QB that is awful at turning the ball over to that mix?
  • His scheme is apparently too complicated to allow young guys to excel. Why can we play freshmen early on defense and not on offense? Why can defense pluck a guy on Wednesday night say hey you are going to do this, he has a few sacks/pressures that Saturday and our offense makes getting the ball to Coleman and Llyod look like they’re searching for the cure for cancer?
  • Why didn’t we go get a transfer back when we lost Ajay? We had 2 RBs who I would consider every down backs. Why would a power running team only have 2 RBs?
I get they have injuries so I’m not expecting a great offense, but he is fucking up a lot of very controllable things iyam.
Good post and I agree, but kind of ticks me off a bit that you weren't this critical of Frost & Friends and now that we've got "outsiders" running the program you come out guns blazing 🔥🔥🔥

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG

If we are going for the KU qb let’s take the KU OC too.

Toe

Wide Receiver
I still am dumbfounded as to why they got Sims vs retaining Casey or a different style of QB.

I've been thinking about this, too. Like Casey probably has more in common with a guy like Rattler (Satt's QB @ SC) than Sims does, right? Like even when you look at the backups, Smothers left but Purdy stayed? Obviously not all under Rhule's control, but you wonder what kind of conversations he had with those guys.

Exactly what kind of QB that Rhule wants long-term seems to be a bit of a mystery. For that matter, so is what kind of offense he wants. It may well be that Rhule's philosophy is to just take the best overall guys he can get and try to build an offense around them, rather than starting with a specific offense in mind and trying to find guys who fit it.

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I've been thinking about this, too. Like Casey probably has more in common with a guy like Rattler (Satt's QB @ SC) than Sims does, right? Like even when you look at the backups, Smothers left but Purdy stayed? Obviously not all under Rhule's control, but you wonder what kind of conversations he had with those guys.

Exactly what kind of QB that Rhule wants long-term seems to be a bit of a mystery. For that matter, so is what kind of offense he wants. It may well be that Rhule's philosophy is to just take the best overall guys he can get and try to build an offense around them, rather than starting with a specific offense in mind and trying to find guys who fit it.

Like all teams at every level, OC's and HC's want a QB who is a good deicsion maker, good arm, but also mobile enough to have that as an option to either scramble or run some QB runs (in limited amounts). I don't think Rhule wants a cockeye lead footed sloth as a QB. So mobile but actually a good, well rounded QB. But those guys are hard to come and sought after by everyone. Still is what we need.

Minute Man

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
I hate the fallback to that drive at Minnesota. First play was an open deep shot that Sims terribly underthrew. Same type of call as the pass to Chi against Northwestern that everyone loved. Hit it, end the game. Second down was an RPO where the correct read was made but it got tipped by the LB. Third and 10 is still a pass. The game wasn’t lost until Grant fumbled on a run and the previous offensive series had nothing to do with it.

Stan Raymond

Cornerback
I completely agree with him. The QB should not be the leading rusher.

I understand that this year is going to be odd, due to the circumstances, but I hope the QB isn't the leading rusher in future seasons.

SlumpBuster

Cornerback
Elite Member
I hate the fallback to that drive at Minnesota. First play was an open deep shot that Sims terribly underthrew. Same type of call as the pass to Chi against Northwestern that everyone loved. Hit it, end the game. Second down was an RPO where the correct read was made but it got tipped by the LB. Third and 10 is still a pass. The game wasn’t lost until Grant fumbled on a run and the previous offensive series had nothing to do with it.
The only call I disagreed with strongly was second down. You needed to run the ball there. I don't mind taking the one shot, but at that point we work gashing them in the running game. A run on second down probably would have gotten you 5 to 7 yards minimum. Then you do the same on third down or something safer like a screen or something.

Then momentum was in our favor and they could not stop our running game. All we had to do was keep it on the ground and win the game.

But as a whole, I feel like that series was the only one I really didn't feel great about.

I struggled pretty hard to criticize the play calling of a coach who has the worst offensive skill talent I've seen in a Husker uniform in my lifetime.

So even if you messed up that one serious against Minnesota at least he's now calling a game that can help us win with what we've got. It's ugly AF tho

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds