Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Aaron Taylor on State of College Football (1 Viewer)

David Webb

JCTJB
Elite Member
You had me at first, lost me at the end. We will succeed bigly post-Frost

confused-indian.gif

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
We're long past college football ever returning to any semblance of what it once was.

You mean how players would get paid cash in McDonalds bags if they were good enough to go to a school that played by it’s own set of rules agreed upon by a certain conference instead of contractual agreements that any school can legally offer transparently?

Yup, them good ole days when players 5 official visits would be reserved for the 5 schools with the biggest reputation for being able to meet a bag man at a church parking lot while the rest of the country fought over the players not good enough to warrant a bag of cash.

The SEC has had the most draft picks for 16 years straight, the only slim chance of that ever changing is NIL and the transfer portal.

Last edited:

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
You mean how players would get paid cash in McDonalds bags if they were good enough to go to a school that played by it’s own set of rules agreed upon by a certain conference instead of contractual agreements that any school can legally offer transparently?

Yup, them good ole days when players 5 official visits would be reserved for the 5 schools with the biggest reputation for being able to meet a bag man at a church parking lot while the rest of the country fought over the players not good enough to warrant a bag of cash.

The SEC has had the most draft picks for 16 years straight, the only slim chance of that ever changing is NIL and the transfer portal.
tenor.gif

CornHub

Offensive Lineman

Hey man, that's what everyone is longing for. I'm just saying those days are over. Only time will tell if this really opened up the playing field at all or if the SEC was winning because their boosters are just willing to pay more than other schools. They weren't the only schools with bag men.

BIG TONE SOPRANO

Really Big Truck
Elite Member

It’s just legal now. You know how stupid people are right? Waaa waaa waaa college football will never be the same. It’s unbelievable

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
Hey man, that's what everyone is longing for. I'm just saying those days are over. Only time will tell if this really opened up the playing field at all or if the SEC was winning because their boosters are just willing to pay more than other schools. They weren't the only schools with bag men.

I get it, and I didn’t mean to come in hot.

Use USC as an example, 40 top 100 players within 20 miles of their campus every year. They get caught by the NCAA by getting tattled on by an in conference school, all of a sudden most of those 40 players in the top 100 are all leaving the state. USC falls off (Pete Carol was a damn good coach too which has plenty to do with it.

I worked closely with one of the coaches on staff at Mater Dei, I asked him about this and he said “When you’re a 5*, your 5 official visits can mean damn near 7 figures when you play the game, when their mom is living in a neighborhood where someone was shot and killed out in front of their house last week, good luck talking them out of that money.”

And by the game, he meant you schedule your visits with Ole Miss, LSU, Tennessee, Auburn and Miss State and make it clear, getting mom out of their neighborhood will be what gets their signature.

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
I get it, and I didn’t mean to come in hot.

Use USC as an example, 40 top 100 players within 20 miles of their campus every year. They get caught by the NCAA by getting tattled on by an in conference school, all of a sudden most of those 40 players in the top 100 are all leaving the state. USC falls off (Pete Carol was a damn good coach too which has plenty to do with it.

I worked closely with one of the coaches on staff at Mater Dei, I asked him about this and he said “When you’re a 5*, your 5 official visits can mean damn near 7 figures when you play the game, when their mom is living in a neighborhood where someone was shot and killed out in front of their house last week, good luck talking them out of that money.”

And by the game, he meant you schedule your visits with Ole Miss, LSU, Tennessee, Auburn and Miss State and make it clear, getting mom out of their neighborhood will be what gets their signature.
Guess I don't understand what would be special about the SEC that they can get mom out of that neighborhood that USC magically wasn't able to anymore after Pete Carol left. Seems like they were caught cheating, but wasn't it just for autographs? I don't really remember what all happened there.

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
Guess I don't understand what would be special about the SEC that they can get mom out of that neighborhood that USC magically wasn't able to anymore after Pete Carol left. Seems like they were caught cheating, but wasn't it just for autographs? I don't really remember what all happened there.

They got caught buying Reggie Bush’s family a big apartment. After they got caught they increased their compliance staff and added a bunch of red tape around recruiting to prevent future infractions.

The SEC is just the conference that had unwritten rules around bag men, high school kids talk and all knew that getting invited to official visits down there meant they were coming back with some money.

Sure there’s other schools that did it, they just have to be a lot more careful about it because it’s a lot easier to get caught when the rest of your league will sell you out in a heart beat. NIL removes that whole aspect of it.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
People in Nebraska should embrace the new Frontier of buying players because a.) We have the means to do it. and b.) It might be our only path to ever getting back to national relevancy.
I think most of the schools have the means. Nebraska people of means might care a little more which surprises me tbh.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds