Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

2023-24 Portal Szn (5 Viewers)

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
True - but coaches do it all the time. Why can’t the players?

Coaches sign contracts. At a minimum, their buyout has to be paid.

We're probably rapidly approaching that scenario with the players, but without that contractual obligation, it's a bit ridiculous.

Yeah this is a key difference, I think. There's at least some incentive to stick with a contract. For players it's just a free for all in most cases. This makes me sound like a 34 year old curmudgeon, but I personally don't like the commodification/big business of college sports. If I had to choose between the current model and the model where players got scholarships and stipends while coaches made a middle class income and had to teach a class, I'd choose that one haha.

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
It’s just so funny to me that anyone would believe that bringing NIL in house fixes everything.
I don't think it'll fix everything, but it might fix some things. They have to establish some more concrete standards and practices with this stuff. Throwing their hands up and letting the bagmen dictate the shape of the recruiting world isn't a long term answer.

SlumpBuster

Cornerback
Elite Member
Yeah this is a key difference, I think. There's at least some incentive to stick with a contract. For players it's just a free for all in most cases. This makes me sound like a 34 year old curmudgeon, but I personally don't like the commodification/big business of college sports. If I had to choose between the current model and the model where players got scholarships and stipends while coaches made a middle class income and had to teach a class, I'd choose that one haha.
If only we could put that genie back in the bottle :)

Tonkasker

Safety
Elite Member
Cockeye
I don't think it'll fix everything, but it might fix some things. They have to establish some more concrete standards and practices with this stuff. Throwing their hands up and letting the bagmen dictate the shape of the recruiting world isn't a long term answer.

Sucks for a place like UTSA who has to scrape a million dollars together to keep Frank Harris, for example, and hope he doesn't take half the bag up front and split, which has happened

Also sucks for a kid like Jaden Rashada who goes to florida on a 'four year deal' and gets screwed by things out of his control, then has to take a massive pay cut to go somewhere that can actually deposit the money when he could have gone to Auburn and saw 90% of his original deal with some security.

College football needs a strong governing body to enforce all this and provide a framework before we can even discuss what to enforce. Schools are subject to the whims of TV networks and athletes are subject to the whims of bagmen.

Steveweiser316

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
An argument can also be made that there’s an incentive for a player not to have to start over at another school - they get 1 free pass, if they try to do it again they have to sit a year unless they already graduated. It’s not guaranteed that all their classes will transfer etc. They give up their scholarship at the school they’re leaving as well…

Southendzonehusker

Defensive Lineman
Elite Member
It’s just so funny to me that anyone would believe that bringing NIL in house fixes everything.
I don’t think anyone really believes it fixes everything. It certainly does create a barrier for tampering though. If you compare it to coaches right now if a school is interested in hiring a coach they have to get approval to speak with him. Right now collectives can offer huge sums of money to kids without ever directly contacting them.

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I don’t think anyone really believes it fixes everything. It certainly does create a barrier for tampering though. If you compare it to coaches right now if a school is interested in hiring a coach they have to get approval to speak with him. Right now collectives can offer huge sums of money to kids without ever directly contacting them.

Tampering has always happened. It’ll happen even if you bring NIL in house.

Lionsfan93

Running Back
Recruiting Analyst
Nebrasketball
tPB OG
I’m not really disregarding the kid’s potential. But not optimistic about it when combined with our QB coaching.

Also, I’m terrified of turnovers after this last year. Let me complain and be scared.
I wouldn't be surprised if our QB coaching situation looks different than this past year. I'm still a fan of moving him to TEs and bringing in a true QB coach.

ZaneTrain23

Linebacker
Elite Member
I’ve read this multiple times and still have no idea what you are trying to say
sorry, these "targeted schools" never feel like they are mentioned with any backing to them. probably a ksu insider saying "look for these schools to go after him"

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds