Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Other Teams’ Guys To Keep Eyes On For 2023-24 Portal Season (1 Viewer)

Seaofred92

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Nebrasketball
Had this thought while watching NIU and LA Tech games the last few weeks.. Guys to keep an eye on from their rosters that could help us next year:

LA Tech
WR Cyrus Allen- 2 years eligibility left after this year, 6’0 180lbs. He ran the kick back in the second quarter that was called back for a hold and made the big third down catch on the LA Tech TD drive in the 2nd quarter. Could be the potential big play/take the top off guy we have so desperately needed at WR for what feels like forever.

As a Freshman… Appeared in 10 games while seven starts... Recorded 22 receptions for 500 yards and four receiving touchdowns ... Averaged 22.73 yards per catch which were the second most nationally ... Ranked sixth nationally among all true freshmen in receiving yards with 500 ... Led all FBS freshman in scrimmage plays over 30 yards with 10 ... Had a season-high 121 yards and two touchdowns in the season-opener at Missouri (Sept. 1) ... Also topped the century mark in receiving with 109 yards in a win over Middle Tennessee (Nov. 5).

Against Nebraska: 6 catches 102 yards 1 TD

NIU
DT/DE James Ester- 1 year of eligibility left after this year (Covid year). Was all over the field against Nebraska including making 2 TFLs. Clearly was their best defensive player IMO and would be a perfect fit into our 3-3-5 system. Had 13.5 career TFLs heading into this year

2022 Season:
• Huskies’ 2022 team MVP earned second team All-MAC honors from PFF and Phil Steele and was a third team All-MAC selection by league coaches.
• Started all 12 games at defensive tackle and finished with a career high 28 total tackles with six tackles for loss, two sacks and two fumbles forced.
• Made two tackles with half a sack in the season-opening win over Eastern Illinois (9-1).
• Recorded four tackles with half a sack and a forced fumble at Kentucky (9-24).
• Set the tone for NIU’s win at Eastern Michigan (10-15) by batting down and then intercepting a pass in the end zone for the Huskies’ first touchdown, the first of his career.
• Made a season-high six tackles with 1.5 tackles for loss and a pass breakup versus Central Michigan (11-2).
• Registered a four-yard sack and forced a fumble in NIU’s win at Western Michigan (11-9).
• Credited with six tackles, one for loss, against Miami (11-16).
• Tallied full or partial tackles for loss at Tulsa (9-10) and versus Akron (11-26).
• Add two stops and two quarterback hurries in the Ohio (10-22) and Akron games.
• Season long team captain.

Against Nebraska: 5 TKL, 3 Solo, 2 TFL

DT/DE Raishein Thomas- 1 year of eligibility left after this year (Covid year). Another guy that can play at the line at either DT or DE and would be a good fit in our 3-3-5 scheme. Named NIU Defensive MVP after their spring practices and entered this year with over 100 career tackles and 12.5 TFL

2022 Season:

Played in all 12 games with 11 starts at defensive end.
• Honored as the team’s defensive lineman of the year following the season.
• Totaled 44 tackles, led the Huskies with 9.0 tackles for loss and broke up three passes.
• Credited with at least two tackles in 11 of 12 games.
• Made five tackles with half a sack in season-opening win over Eastern Illinois (9-1).
• Recorded a four-yard sack and five tackles at Tulsa (9-10).
• Also tallied five tackles at Ball State (10-1).
• One of his two tackles versus Toledo (10-8) went for loss.
• Registered three tackles and half a tackle for loss in win at Eastern Michigan (10-15).
• Made a season-high eight tackles against Central Michigan (11-2), adding a tackle for loss, a pass breakup and a forced fumble.
• Recorded a career high four tackles for loss and a pass break-up in NIU’s win at Western Michigan (11-9).
• Earned Academic All-MAC honors.

Against Nebraska: 5 TKL, 2 Solo, 1 TFL, 1 Pass Defended

Tonkasker

Safety
Elite Member
Cockeye
Any QB's to look out for?
The big 4 are probably going to be Maalik Murphy (Texas), Dillon Gabriel (OU), Vandagriff (UGA), and Jalen Milroe (Bama)

There's a decent crop of G5 prospects this year. I would expect these guys to end up at P5s or transfer up within the G5.
- DJ Irons (Akron)
- Seth Henigan (Memphis)
- Brayden Fowler-Nicolosi (Colo State)
- EJ Warner (Temple)
- Darren Grainger (Ga State)
- Jalen Raynor (Ark State)

I could see JJ Kohl at ISU moving on - kid's got some arm talent

herbsinator

Running Back
Elite Member
The big 4 are probably going to be Maalik Murphy (Texas), Dillon Gabriel (OU), Vandagriff (UGA), and Jalen Milroe (Bama)

There's a decent crop of G5 prospects this year. I would expect these guys to end up at P5s or transfer up within the G5.
- DJ Irons (Akron)
- Seth Henigan (Memphis)
- EJ Warner (Temple)

Wouldn’t mind seeing us go after a G5 with a track record of performing at a high level instead someone getting pushed out of another P5 program again.

jw3

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member

- DJ Irons (Akron)
- Seth Henigan (Memphis)
- EJ Warner (Temple)

is Gabriel expected to transfer? seems entrenched as QB1 at OU

JerryBones5

Safety
Elite Member
Pick'Em Champion

- DJ Irons (Akron)
- Seth Henigan (Memphis)
- EJ Warner (Temple)

Imagine if we got Malik Murphy. Oh boy that’d be fun. Fits the offense perfectly with the QB run aspect.

dom91932

Cornerback
Elite Member

- DJ Irons (Akron)
- Seth Henigan (Memphis)
- EJ Warner (Temple)

It would be great if we were able to snag someone, but until the o-line gets straightened out I'm hard pressed to see a lot of interest in qbs transferring here in the short term.

Tonkasker

Safety
Elite Member
Cockeye
is Gabriel expected to transfer? seems entrenched as QB1 at OU
Jackson Arnold might be the best QB prospect not currently starting in college. They almost benched him this year but I (nor would sooner media) be shocked to see them process Gabriel in favor of Arnold.

Tonkasker

Safety
Elite Member
Cockeye
It would be great if we were able to snag someone, but until the o-line gets straightened out I'm hard pressed to see a lot of interest in qbs transferring here in the short term.
I'm willing to bet we have an improved line next year. The staff didn't want corcoran starting at LT and threw upwards of $600k combined at two of the top portal prospects to move him in at LG. The entire offense is probably power rated 20 spots higher with Cornelius or Rouse filling that spot in.

I don't see them doubling down on being conservative in the portal when being conservative let them down.

dom91932

Cornerback
Elite Member
I'm willing to bet we have an improved line next year. The staff didn't want corcoran starting at LT and threw upwards of $600k combined at two of the top portal prospects to move him in at LG. The entire offense is probably power rated 20 spots higher with Cornelius or Rouse filling that spot in.

I don't see them doubling down on being conservative in the portal when being conservative let them down.
1696527321364.png

Tonkasker

Safety
Elite Member
Cockeye
Next year's offense probably looks like this:

1696529428226.png

Some thoughts to accompany this:
1. It's safe to assume at least two of the guys listed portal out for whatever reason.
2. Portaling in a starting X receiver, LT, and QB is an extremely expensive endeavor. Then you're between Emmet Johnson and Kewan Lacy at RB. Total crapshoot. All four spots probably costs about $1.8 million in NIL to fill unless you really want to cheap out.
3. I think it's fair to assume that Knaak or Knutson get some play to start at LT. I think both will develop into good tackles with some time. Defenitely have more bend than Teddy and I think both guys have progressed nicely thus far. Time will tell, might be two years away.
4. Scott really fucked us good in the WR room. You're probably two years away from really shoring that room up through recruiting.
5. Benhart hasn't put it on tape yet but he could be a back half of the draft guy. If he shows out the second half of the year we might be in trouble.

Tell_Sackett

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Next year's offense probably looks like this:

View attachment 28328

Some thoughts to accompany this:
1. It's safe to assume at least two of the guys listed portal out for whatever reason.
2. Portaling in a starting X receiver, LT, and QB is an extremely expensive endeavor. Then you're between Emmet Johnson and Kewan Lacy at RB. Total crapshoot. All four spots probably costs about $1.8 million in NIL to fill unless you really want to cheap out.
3. I think it's fair to assume that Knaak or Knutson get some play to start at LT. I think both will develop into good tackles with some time. Defenitely have more bend than Teddy and I think both guys have progressed nicely thus far. Time will tell, might be two years away.
4. Scott really fucked us good in the WR room. You're probably two years away from really shoring that room up through recruiting.
5. Benhart hasn't put it on tape yet but he could be a back half of the draft guy. If he shows out the second half of the year we might be in trouble.
I'm starting to buy in on Benhart at the next level. If he would have followed a more natural playing progression, filling in last year as a Soph and starting this year, fans would have a totally different opinion of him. He's been a scapegoat because he had to play well before he was ready.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
Brasky Pants on Rivals

"I would be willing to bet a small amount though that one of the four regional prospects Frost blew it on (Johnson, Kohl, LK and Flores) is here next year."

LK = Lincoln Kienholz Ohio St
Kohl = JJ Kohl Cockeye St
Flores = Zane Flores (obviously)
Johnson ?

Tonkasker

Safety
Elite Member
Cockeye
Brasky Pants on Rivals

"I would be willing to bet a small amount though that one of the four regional prospects Frost blew it on (Johnson, Kohl, LK and Flores) is here next year."

Johnson ?

I don’t think any of those guys would be game ready in 2024

Skerz4Life50

Cornerback
Elite Member
Brasky Pants on Rivals

Johnson ?
Avery Johnson. This he is at KState.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds