Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

2021 Husker Baseball Thread (Big 10 Champions)

I’ll be honest I hated the move to Bunz. Would have gone ride or die with Koty personally. Bunz looked like shit on Saturday night and you don’t turn that around facing the same team in that situation. I assume they were banking on getting to the 9th with a 1 run lead and bringing in Schwelly to finish it

We should have a pretty good team next year, especially if Hallmark comes back. Povich too but he's probably gone.
Someone dig up a baseball insider for this info. I'm just assuming that the OF will be a complete make over with all the SR's leaving.

The only players I have penciled in at positions to start next season are Anderson at 3rd and Brice at SS. The rest will more than likely be open competition.

Also sounds like Christo is going pro from most of the rumors local media is hearing so that stinks if it holds up.

Also sounds like Christo is going pro from most of the rumors local media is hearing so that stinks if it holds up.

Baseball recruiting is such a delicate balance. Recruit too well and never see them on campus. I hope Will figures that balance out. It stung Mike Anderson in the ass two years in a row after the CWS appearance.

I’ll be honest I hated the move to Bunz. Would have gone ride or die with Koty personally. Bunz looked like shit on Saturday night and you don’t turn that around facing the same team in that situation. I assume they were banking on getting to the 9th with a 1 run lead and bringing in Schwelly to finish it
I think that was Bolts plan as well but Koty's tank was empty. I think the mistake was not bringing in your relief to pitch to Opitz right away. You put your relief pitcher in a no win situation with men on 1st and 2nd and come in with a 2-0 count. Generally speaking 9/10 it's gonna end in a hit or a walk.

Baseball recruiting is such a delicate balance. Recruit too well and never see them on campus. I hope Will figures that balance out. It stung Mike Anderson in the ass two years in a row after the CWS appearance.
Agreed, recruiting is difficult. I think Bolt gets it a lot more than Anderson did. Not sure Anderson was all that respected among the Nebraska High School baseball coaches like Bolt already is, that alone will help retain kids.

I think that was Bolts plan as well but Koty's tank was empty. I think the mistake was not bringing in your relief to pitch to Opitz right away. You put your relief pitcher in a no win situation with men on 1st and 2nd and come in with a 2-0 count. Generally speaking 9/10 it's gonna end in a hit or a walk.
Yeah, that seemed to be Bolt's first major managing mistake. It happens, just wrong time for it.

I would think first major recruiting objective is finding a shutdown bullpen guy who isn't Schwelly. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't see any guys trot out there from the pen, other than Schwelly, that I was confident would shut the door quick like Kopps does. I know the bar is high with Kopps but the concept remains the same. Schwelly can't be your only stud in the pen when the stakes are high. Shit, try and get 2 this offseason if Schwelly decides to try his hand in the pros. Feels like we need more power in the lineup too. Not much of a threat of the long ball against better pitching I didn't think.

Someone dig up a baseball insider for this info. I'm just assuming that the OF will be a complete make over with all the SR's leaving.

The only players I have penciled in at positions to start next season are Anderson at 3rd and Brice at SS. The rest will more than likely be open competition.

Everitt at C, Steil at 1B, Chick at 2B, Matthews at SS, Anderson at 3B, Banjoff at OF, Hallmark at OF if he comes back but he will probably move on. We have some talented freshman who will come in and play right away. There's a good chance Mason starts in the OF. Chick could also start in the OF and then we would have a new guy at 2B.

And Bolt will almost certainly go to the transfer route and bring in some guys.

Everitt at C, Steil at 1B, Chick at 2B, Matthews at SS, Anderson at 3B, Banjoff at OF, Hallmark at OF if he comes back but he will probably move on. We have some talented freshman who will come in and play right away. There's a good chance Mason starts in the OF. Chick could also start in the OF and then we would have a new guy at 2B.

First base imo is wide open. Just not sure Steils bat plays enough to lock him at 1st.

It is interesting how much baseball has taken off around here. Back when Dave Van Horn was first hired (well, Komine's first year), I had made good friends with a guy that was a part-time scout and had gotten Shane to Nebraska. He was in tight with DVH. Huskers Illustrated was just starting to get going with baseball and he told them to reach out to me to write some articles/interviews for them for baseball. NLI day was coming up, so my friend reaches out to me and sends me DVH's cell phone number and tells me to give him a call, that he's expecting it. Next thing you know, DVH is inviting me down to his office to sit there with him and Childress and watch the fax machine as NLI's come in. Looking back on it, it was pretty damn cool.

A couple of years into it, a college kid reaches out to me asking if I can help him get some connections to DVH and help him a little with a site he was working on. That kid ended up being Kendall Rogers and he has made quite a nice career out of it for himself. Crazy to see how big he's blown up since then.

Mataya and some other Mod ended up running me off of RSS during the Anderson era (banning me for a couple of years). I was pounding the drum early on that Anderson was a bad hire and that he'd run this program into the ground eventually. They told me I wasn't loyal to the program, etc... and banned me when I started crowing about being right. They've never had a true baseball insider since then.

Would be interesting to get Tim Povich's thoughts there on what he saw this year and what he sees for the future. I'd love to get my boy JP over here too (working on him). He coached up many of the Omaha kids when they were playing 13's.

Future looks bright. I can't wait to see what Bolt does with this crew.

It is interesting how much baseball has taken off around here. Back when Dave Van Horn was first hired (well, Komine's first year), I had made good friends with a guy that was a part-time scout and had gotten Shane to Nebraska. He was in tight with DVH. Huskers Illustrated was just starting to get going with baseball and he told them to reach out to me to write some articles/interviews for them for baseball. NLI day was coming up, so my friend reaches out to me and sends me DVH's cell phone number and tells me to give him a call, that he's expecting it. Next thing you know, DVH is inviting me down to his office to sit there with him and Childress and watch the fax machine as NLI's come in. Looking back on it, it was pretty damn cool.

A couple of years into it, a college kid reaches out to me asking if I can help him get some connections to DVH and help him a little with a site he was working on. That kid ended up being Kendall Rogers and he has made quite a nice career out of it for himself. Crazy to see how big he's blown up since then.

Mataya and some other Mod ended up running me off of RSS during the Anderson era (banning me for a couple of years). I was pounding the drum early on that Anderson was a bad hire and that he'd run this program into the ground eventually. They told me I wasn't loyal to the program, etc... and banned me when I started crowing about being right. They've never had a true baseball insider since then.

Would be interesting to get Tim Povich's thoughts there on what he saw this year and what he sees for the future. I'd love to get my boy JP over here too (working on him). He coached up many of the Omaha kids when they were playing 13's.

Future looks bright. I can't wait to see what Bolt does with this crew.
StormKing is that you?

Bolt will definitely leverage the Junior College connections he has to help fill some spots. I actually think last year's COVID season really helped him. He was able to get in, see them play just a little, and identify what holes he really had. He went out aggressively to fill those.

Have to wonder if anyone will be getting in Dylan Phillips' ear over the summer about possibly coming home. He had a nice year down at K-State and provides some nice pop at the plate.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back