Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Would you take Brian Ferentz as our O-Line coach next year? (1 Viewer)

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
@slattimer so if I understand correctly..

• LT base block EMOL?
  • LG Reach for outside shoulder of 3 tech
  • C Reach hard for PS A gap taking the 0 if he slants, until RG can overtake, then he climbs to mike. If 0 slants away look for 3/5 tech coming to, then climb to mike.
  • RG reach for 0 tech if he slants away climb to mike
  • RT reach for BS 3 tech
  • QB read BS 5 tech

View attachment 29289

I had another question, why wasn't Nebraska having their slot WRs crack the FS? That seems like it would be a natural thing to do given how much man coverage Purdouche was playing. It also would have blended well with their option pass and taken away the free player in the scheme.
On this clip, it's zone to the right with the LT Lock on the 5 tech. He reaches him in this case.
From a basics standpoint - Reading 1st man on our outside the BSG.
LT: Lock EMOL
LG: Reach BS A Gap
C: Reach PS A Gap
RG: Reach PS B Gap
RT: Reach PS C Gap

If it's a true outside zone, then they're reaching and looking to overtake, pop the back out the frontside C if they get the overtake, if not, they torque and run them OB and open up vertical seams the TB can cut.

I just generally hate running any type of option play where the defense has immediate 2 for 2. You're running option to isolate one defender creating a 2:1. Essentially, the option on the backside has created 2 gaps on either side of the LT...they have 3 players for those 2 gaps...one of the players, the 3 tech is going to take away the dive, the OLB & Mike are not free for the QB.

HuskerDocCo

100 & havin fun GBR !!
tPB OG
On this clip, it's zone to the right with the LT Lock on the 5 tech. He reaches him in this case.

If it's a true outside zone, then they're reaching and looking to overtake, pop the back out the frontside C if they get the overtake, if not, they torque and run them OB and open up vertical seams the TB can cut.

I just generally hate running any type of option play where the defense has immediate 2 for 2. Your running option to isolate one defender creating a 2:1. Essentially, the option on the backside has created 2 gaps on either side of the LT...they have 3 players for those 2 gaps...one of the players, the 3 tech is going to take away the dive, the OLB & Mike are not free for the QB.
Lat, elite football mind, Is there a type of blockin scheme where you punch the other guys nutsack , spit in his face, and finger their butt in order to get an advantage?

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
Just realized I flipped the line 🤦‍♂️

What is the benefit to running more of a mid zone vs and outside zone?

I just generally hate running any type of option play where the defense has immediate 2 for 2. You're running option to isolate one defender creating a 2:1. Essentially, the option on the backside has created 2 gaps on either side of the LT...they have 3 players for those 2 gaps...one of the players, the 3 tech is going to take away the dive, the OLB & Mike are not free for the QB.
Yeah we had multiple times where it seemed like the safety was quick to the box and they had a 2v2 which blew up the play. That is where I wonder if you are the slot if you crack the safety it would help given the amount of man Purdue was playing.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Just realized I flipped the line 🤦‍♂️

What is the benefit to running more of a mid zone vs and outside zone?

Yeah we had multiple times where it seemed like the safety was quick to the box and they had a 2v2 which blew up the play. That is where I wonder if you are the slot if you crack the safety it would help given the amount of man Purdouche was playing.
Mid zone is typically ran to the open side, not necessarily trying to get outside, but create horizontal movement to get a cut back on the frontside of the zone. To me, it's all where you're trying to get the cutback to develop.

They did try to crack the $ a few times and either missed, or the D did a good job playing crack replace. Kind of going through some clips when I have time...the blocking by the Fs, H, Ys, and WRs leave a lot to be desired. They ran a Duo scheme pretty early where they wrap two blockers around, basically counter, and they have everyone pretty much blocked up and the F or WR completely whiffs...2 yard gain.

Faux Sean Callahan

Head Coach
Insider
tPB OG
They did try to crack the $ a few times and either missed, or the D did a good job playing crack replace. Kind of going through some clips when I have time...the blocking by the Fs, H, Ys, and WRs leave a lot to be desired. They ran a Duo scheme pretty early where they wrap two blockers around, basically counter, and they have everyone pretty much blocked up and the F or WR completely whiffs...2 yard gain.
Yeah I felt like Fidone and Bonner have some wood to chop in the blocking department... Even Emmet's TD at the end, Bonner missed his guy.

Mid zone is typically ran to the open side, not necessarily trying to get outside, but create horizontal movement to get a cut back on the frontside of the zone. To me, it's all where you're trying to get the cutback to develop.
So would a team run OZ more if they felt better about their edge blocking and MZ more if they felt better about their interior blocking?

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Yeah I felt like Fidone and Bonner have some wood to chop in the blocking department... Even Emmet's TD at the end, Bonner missed his guy.

So would a team run OZ more if they felt better about their edge blocking and MZ more if they felt better about their interior blocking?
I'm running OZ if I feel we can overtake the defense and overwhelm them with numbers. I'm running MZ more if I feel good about my guys' tracks and being physical.

I just really dislike how they run it. They never really open any seams up, they don't have a threat to go outside, they don't create a lot of movement. They just stay on a track and push people horizontally on the LOS and not in a reach/overtake manner. Plus the defense is able to overlap and get more hats to the cutback. And they did that with Donnie, and they've done that with Austin in the same track block MZ/OZ manner. I don't get it. I've seen them in practice work their wide reach on OZ...I just don't ever see them do it in again...It's like they try, don't ever overtake, and just get flattened out.

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
I'm running OZ if I feel we can overtake the defense and overwhelm them with numbers. I'm running MZ more if I feel good about my guys' tracks and being physical.

I just really dislike how they run it. They never really open any seams up, they don't have a threat to go outside, they don't create a lot of movement. They just stay on a track and push people horizontally on the LOS and not in a reach/overtake manner. Plus the defense is able to overlap and get more hats to the cutback. And they did that with Donnie, and they've done that with Austin in the same track block MZ/OZ manner. I don't get it. I've seen them in practice work their wide reach on OZ...I just don't ever see them do it in again...It's like they try, don't ever overtake, and just get flattened out.
How much of that is scheme vs. dudes up front?

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
Serious question, his entire background is in offensive line play including in the NFL under Bellichek. Spent a year as a TE coach where he really got Aaron Hernandez and Gronk going. Developed a good amount of NFL lineman during his time as O-Line coach at Cockeye. Don’t let him anywhere near scheme(outside what is required as an O-line coach) or play calling. Knows the B1G well. Couldn’t be worse than what we have now?
Serious question, do you like getting pegged with wiffle ball bats? There is your answer.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds